Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Sony A6300 4K 100mbit 14 stops DR little monster, official topic
  • 507 Replies sorted by
  • The Sony A6300 is very tempting... I wish they would come out with a DSLR sized full frame mirrorless camera. I know that a lot of people like the smaller cameras but I guess I am in the minority here because I actually prefer a D810 sized body. I am a Nikon shooter but DAMMM, Sony is really bringing it.

Exciting times that we live in and the A6300 is a prime example of that, it may not be perfect but A6300 stands way above its weight class. Sony is starting to dominate the mirrorless market, if Panasonic decides to sit on their laurels much longer they may lose a larger market share. I have a GH4 and purchased 4 native lenses then decided to sell them all because I only use the GH4 for video and just decided to use my Nikon lenses on the GH4.

I honestly like the body, menu system, battery life etc from the GH4 its perfect for video. The things that I don't like are the sensor size for lowlight performance and depth of field for photography. I am not saying that shallow depth of field is everything but it definitely helps for certain types of situations. The way I see it Sony needs to produce a mirrorless D810 sized professional body to get people to switch over from their current systems.

The A7 series and A6300 are very good cameras but I am not sure if Sony will sway other types of professional photographers with the current body styles. The A99 looks good but the mount is not as flexible as the mirrorless mount which gives you tremendous lens choices. The larger D810 sized body style would probably help eliminate the heat issues as well. All in all though A6300 seems to be an excellent camera especially at its price point. Now please make my D810 sized body so I can give you my money Sony ;-)

• There is no Sony 19 mm in E-mount. There's SEL20F28 from 2013 and SEL16F28 from 2010. Sigma makes a 19 mm f/2.8 in E-mount.

• Can anybody offer feedback on the Sony 19mm

You mean 20mm?

As far as I know small old wide Sony lenses (except costly new ones) are not good.

• I am considering this camera more for stills as I suspect the larger sensor, faster auto focus, eye recognition etc. will offer faster shooting, superior images and less noise as compared to the GH4 stills which I use mainly for video. Of course in low light or where continuous auto focus is needed the A6300 may be first choice for video at times as long as fast pans or heat do not prevent. I am thinking to pair it with the above mentioned lens a few posts back and perhaps also the wider angle Sony 19mm, 2.8 for APS-C. Can anybody offer feedback on the Sony 19mm and/or still photo quality comparisons between A6300 and the GH4. Thank you!

• Yes I ment SEL50F18. I'll post more of my findings when I have more experience. This thread lacks real life experiences and I am curious about real experiences from others.

• I have the SEL50F18 and its good, but I only have used for still with the NEX-5N. I hate its very large.

• He probably means this lens: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1001008-REG/sony_sel50f18_b_50mm_f_1_8_lens_black.html

I own that lens and it is pretty good for the money.

• SEL50F18 ?

• first experiences

Found no reason to regret dumping the gh4 for a 6300. I shoot wildlife and sometimes not fast shots like interviews. Rolling shutter at 24p is bad without highly controlled camera movements. But it is not visible in my kind of shots and slow pans. I like the 1.5x crop factor for wider landscape/interior shots and the ability to easier achieve shallow depth of field.

For wildlife I always shoot at 30p 4k or 120fps hd. Rolling shutter is far less here and no issue at all for me. I slow both framerates down to 24p in post for a little more relaxed animals. Both modes give me a free and very welcome extra crop. It's not the 2.5 gh4 crop but I highly doubt that my 400mm nikon is able to resolve enough resolution from the center of the glass. I bet it doesn't matter compared to the a6300 cropfactor.

I've got one sony lens the SEL50F18 50mm 1.8 and it is pretty good. Auto focus tracking at 1.8 looks fine for interviews and face rec. For stills, eye focus works great as well as complete silent mode just like the gh4. Again the 1.5x crop works better for me.

The EVF is pretty good and the slog2/3 is fine too for me. Choosing another gamma makes focussing easy. Dynamic range and flexibility of raw and video is pretty amazing. It's like HDR build in compared to gh4 footage.I'll fix banding by adding slight noise or dithering then resize to 1080p.

The only thing I miss is a battery that lasts forever. I need to charge more. But I get so much in return.

• α6300 -AF Performance Test

• Yah some of the facebook users reported that too. Unreal.

I imagine couple shooting hundreds of selfies in corresponding place and circumstances. And just before the right moment camera overheats and tells with Siri like voice - "It is time to cool down..."

• Yah some of the facebook users reported that too. Unreal. I know its small, but come on.

• I remember reading somewhere (dvxuser probably) it may overheat even when shooting sills... LOL.

• Yea, thanks, beginning to think this camera is best for still photo enthusiasts rather than video/film professionals!

• In a warm environment (even 25 degrees Celsius) it overheats after 25 minutes even with the screen angled off.

As usual Sony do not want to make good heat spreader inside. Saved around $2-3.

• The RS is awful in 4K. It's a bit better in HD, but the downscale is much worse than in the A7R II. It's output is strictly 8 bit, so not much improvement for grading by external recording.

In a warm environment (even 25 degrees Celsius) it overheats after 25 minutes even with the screen angled off.

• Would the A6300 be a good choice for shooting a martial arts action movie? Thinking that it's quick continuous auto focus and 120 frame rate would be a great asset but would the rolling shutter issue be a problem with such action? Also does capturing 422 on an external recorder significantly improve the image quality of the A6300? I already have the GH4 so perhaps better to save such money towards a camera that will shoot 4K at 60 fps...