Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GX1: Official topic
  • Like you maybe heard on 43rumors a new camera the GX1 will be announced in japan the 8 november for after be released
    in Europe and USA for about one month later. 43rumors just said that one of their top source had the chance to play with
    this amazing toy and they are saying that ''this is the camera with the best image quality to date.'' IN HIS OPINION

It has the G3 sensor. By previous tests the G3 has a better HIGH ISO than the GH2. But also a new much improved processing engine ;) so just imagine...

What you guys think about it is a Great low light camera ?

SAMPLE TEST :D :
  • 129 Replies sorted by
  • @ Daniel_R

You did it right, @Vitaliy_Kiselev has a strict one camera/lens one topic!

Never used the GX1, but I am using the GM1 as a C-cam for weddings ;)

• Not sure what the rules are about bringing up dead/old topics... but most forums generally prefer a search, then a comment on an old post rather than 3000 new threads on the same topic.

Anyway, I'm curious about the GX1 and what I can expect from it as a C-cam when shooting weddings?

Also, regarding batteries... what are the chances of getting away with generic batteries and the camera still working with them (will it read the amount remaining etc?)

• Does any one know the native bit rate for the GX1 1920 AVCHD?

I've used it exclusively as a photo cam, but I'm thinking of using this little thing as a 'C' cam. I know it's limited to 30fps, but thought I'd ask what the consensus is on the quality for professional use. (FYI, mainly for US television broadcasts on PBS.)

I've seen a few videos on YouTube & Vimeo but the compression is not doing the footage justice, it appears.

Thanks all.... debinatx

• Thanks for the link.

I see infornation on downloading the firmware file from which I extract the bin file. The ptools util modifies it and saves the changes.

After that, I copy it to an sd card and flash the camera.

What worries me is that I didnt see any gx1 specific details in the faq. only on other models.

Is it ok to use? an i missing something?

Thanks again. Amazing job!

• Hi.

I'm a newbie here.

Just got the GX1 as a spare body and would like to hack it to improve video quality.

How do I do this? Where do I download the files?

Is this procedure recommended? Is the hack final or in testing?

Thanks!

• pfff… I just get a gx1. I'll wait for an hupothetic update of the firmware to include this. If the 2013 cameras will have this there is some hope to get it for 2012 cameras :) And tethered shoot for an extra 700€ is a little too much :D

• @docunagi

Get GH3 for this. I also think all upcoming 2013 cameras and camcorders will have it.

• so anyone about tethered shoots ?

• Hello,

Is it a way to hack the GX1 firmware and able a function that would let make tethered shootings ? I know that a lot of people out there are waiting for that kind of stuff and Panasonic just doesn't care about its customers needs…

• Stock GX1 (firmware 1.1)

GX1.png
    1295 x 683 - 124K
  • Used it together with the GH2 on a photo shoot. Of the 511 photo's I took only 21 with the GH2. The GX1 just feels so snappy and focuses very quick!! I Like the quick menu more then the GH2...

Love the GX1 ;-)

About the video, rolling shutter is terrible......

• I will gladly contribute 30$ to the development of the GX1 hack! Its the perfect B camera for a Pal user like me!
  • I think we should start collecting for the GX1. As it is more expensive it will take some time, and if VK is tired of dumping all Lumix G bodies, it will just be a thank you gift to complete his G Museum.
  • Wow ...... AFC is much faster then on 5n
    Glad I didn't buy the 5n ;)
  • Can't use the google translator on popco net review.

http://www.popco.net/zboard/zboard.php?id=dica_review&no=761

http://www.popco.net/zboard/view.php?id=dica_review&page=&sn1=&divpage=&sn=&ss=&sc=&select_arrange=&desc=&no=761&sc_login=&ReviewUrl=LUMIX_GX1_02.html

The latter one has a bunch of videos for autofocus performance. GX1 has very nice AFF autofocus mode. All Panasonic m43 lenses except 20mm 1.7 support AFF. GX1 seems a nice "photo" camera. No I don't own it.
  • I have the GX1 for some days now.
    For me it's a very nice photo camera (I did not have the GF1...).
    Am getting used to the menu's and new interface, witch is very customizable!

The camera feels responsive.

Would be nice if it will get an hack for releasing its video power :-)
    For now it doesn't seem to have manual video mode but it has some "flicker free" options, I guess the camera will keep it's shutter speed with this option.
  • GX1 summary
    - G3 sensor
    - GF3 venus engine
    - GF2 like stereo mic-in & 1080i50 and 1080i60 video
    - GF1 like ergonomic and low noise reduction (better noise reproduction without smearing details)
    - No movie mode. No manual control for video. No ext mic in.
    - New accessory port & MP4 video & touch zoom

That's all. Nothing really radically new. Just many proven good things into one small package.

But $700 body without manual control... haha.
  • Actually looking at the video options available on the GX1, I really think we are getting the same deal with the GH2 firmware. It makes perfect sense
  • I'm sure if you look at it closely it's not a Sony mandated standard, it's an industry wide one for the benefit of all, it would really suck if you could only record and playback your clips on one brand of devices. balazer is correct on the technicalities of it. We all want the same thing

I think they ideally need both. A standards compliant AVCHD setting which is the default setting on the camera, so that the common consumer can play back their videos on most of their devices at home, like TVs, Bluray recorders/Players and doesn't chew up a massive amount of memorycard space and works on cheaper cards.

And for the likes of us a higher quality, customisable, pro grade, balls to the wall, face melting codec encoding scheme. No reason why they have to do either or, rom space for firmware is cheap as nowadays, heck look at all the devices out there that are running Linux.
  • Nice shots from the GX1 in flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/panasonicuk/sets/72157627949970521/

enjoy :D, Bad points there is no information about ISO etc...
  • Hi eca...whatever. Pls stop it.