Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GX1: Official topic
  • 129 Replies sorted by
  • No 24p. Yes 25p. Wow Panasonic is good at torturing!!!

No native 60p sensor output.
  • People asking for built-in camera ND filters, forget it. It won't happen on a M43 / NEX system.
    If we could get low ISO 5/10, I would be happy enough.
  • As a happy GF1 owner, I'm heartened at least to see Panasonic learn from its mistakes with the cutesy GF2/3 and return to the GF1 aesthetic with the new GX1. But as someone who also owns a GH2, I was only planning to buy a GX1 body if it could do 24p and serve as a B-cam (or, if it somehow beat the GH2's video performance, it would become my new A-cam). With no 24p, the GX1 is strictly a stills shooter cam with the added bonus of excellent 30p video for family and other casual videos.

That said, if I was in the market for a small rangefindery mirrorless right now, I'd have a tough time buying the GX1 over an NEX-5N, clicking and all. I'm no Sony fan but if I could overcome my preconceived notions and switch from Canon to Panasonic, I'm sure I could do the same for...involuntary shudder...Sony.

Okay no I couldn't.
  • Ultra high speed AF:

• http://www.photographyblog.com/articles/panasonic_gx1_interview/2

Barney Sykes: Yes, in that respect it’s the same as the GH2. And in terms of the high-speed auto focus the GX1 is working at 60fps and when you half press the shutter that doubles to 120fps. That light speed AF is also on the G3 and GF3.
  • Nice features. Hmmm... this could be the first m43 lens that I can recommend to my friends. I wish GH2 new firmware incorporates some of the new features from GX1. The real-time film mode display!!!

• Barney Sykes: ....We have 14 lenses and have announced the development of a further two: the 12-35mm and 35-100mm for next year....

as i read it may have a 20mm in x lense and more as we know it has a great sell the only bad point was the none o.i.s...
  • Does anyone know about the Ex. Tele Conversion mode?

Will it be like the one on GH2, or would it be like the mediocre one on GF2, which only works in SH mode (1280 x 720)?

Ta.
  • @shaveblog
    You wont know till you tried...I used to get the shudders. Not any more. ;-)
  • @mimirsan and @shaveblog I found the 5n to complete the gh2 very nicely.. (and vice versa). Whenever you need smooth gradients or shoot a contrasty scene, the 5n handles itself very, very well. Also, I sometimes prefer how it looks in motion (gh2 is super-sensitive unless using wide angle lenses). Highly recommended, wheter you like Sony or not.

I was hoping for a sturdy, well-specced rangefinder from the GX1 but it seems nothing like it.
  • @RRRR
    I agree 100% I have two 5n's myself (just bought a black one yesterday..yknow for the wife! haha) Thats why I said I dont "shudder" anymore haha
    Dont beleive in brand loyalty myself unless im being paid by the company rather than giving them it!
    I even try now not to buy native lenses as it locks you down to one particular system.

As much as I love my GH2 I prefer rangefinder styling and wanted better spec M4/3 in that form..I had a GF1 its a tough old dog but its old!
    Both Panny and Oly keep coming short of what I wanted and I tired of waiting.
    So went with 5n..and very happy indeed. ;-)

Anyway not to jepordise this GX1 thread...Some aspects are nice but not what I would expect of a new luxury X range of cameras. I even find the 14-42x seriously underwhelming and overpriced (are folks really willing to pay 400quid extra so they dont have to turn a ring?)...so not for me.
  • @Mimirsan: I completely agree about the 14-42. For the price I would have wanted either 12-42 and/or 3.5 aperture troughout (faster would have been more impressive of course). Maybe it wasn't possible with the optics scheme but that is not the point.. The point is that the specs now look like your average compact. LX3 comes to mind, but that lens is produced by Leica. :S

I also tend to avoid native lenses as they are often pretty expensive in relation to how they can be used.. A lens that can be used on multiple systems will definately last longer. Though, I got the kit-zoom and that is very good value for money if bought along with the gh2 body. Maybe there will be good deals like that for gx1 + x-lenses eventually..
  • @RRRR Glad you enjoy the NEX but I'm afraid I'm just not a Sony guy. Don't wish to turn this into a brand loyalty flame thread and am genuinely happy for those of you who are enjoying your Sony cameras. They are clearly capable of excellent output.
  • @Amatuer
    I can pick up a 14-45mm for 145 quid which has plenty sharp optics better than the traditional 14-42mm...probably better that the X maybe.

The x just does not justify the pricetag...nice design on the motor though.

Ive noticed here in uk Jessops have the GX1 on preorder...with the old 14-42mm for £725 (??!!). Thats just insane pricing strategy. The G3 offers a bit more and you can get it with the same kit lens for £480...maybe less!
  • I'm getting 14-42X tonight. I'd be happy if it can match the performance of 14-45.
  • Be interesting to know how you like it and if it still has the issue raised on DPreview
  • I will post about it on 14-42X thread.
  • I see one small, good thing about the GX1: Panasonic's decision to use the MP4 format instead of just AVCHD. This at least opens the door to the possibility of higher bit rates and progressive encoding in future cameras, without AVCHD's constraints.
  • @balazer

The AVCHD on the Lumix cameras is already progressive MP4. As for increased bitrates, the AVCHD standards keep getting upgraded for higher resolutions and bitrates, so that door's been open for awhile now.
  • AVCHD uses a transport stream as its container format, not MP4.
  • @balazer
    It is trivially easy to rewrap AVCHD to MP4 bit-for-bit losslessly if you don't want that container. I use Clipwrap for Mac, but there are free alternatives as well. It's simple, fast. You can have your MP4 and progressive too.
  • I really don't want to get into a debate on this, but you are totally missing the point. AVCHD is a standard for consumer video recording and playback devices. AVCHD has seen upgrades over the years, but they always come slowly and with constraints, especially since consumer hardware cannot handle arbitrarily high bit rates, encoded frame sizes, etc. In choosing MP4 as a recording format, the manufacturer is totally relieved of the constraint that the recordings play back correctly on any particular hardware. If the recordings can be played on a PC and uploaded to YouTube, that is sufficient. I am well aware that transport streams can be remuxed into MP4s. That is beside the point. And yes, Panasonic does use AVCHD Progressive, but it has done so inconsistently. The GH1 and GX1 use AVCHD interlaced encoding of progressive format video.
  • @balazer
    "If you don't want to get into a debate, don't tell someone he's totally missing the point." - Will Rogers

You complained about Lumix AVCHD not being progressive or MP4. It is both. But does it even matter? Do clips with an MP4 suffix look better than those with MTS? Whether you're on a Mac or PC, your editing software is either going to be happy with native or rewrap/transcode anyway. It's a non-issue in terms of the actual footage and how it looks and edits.
  • MP4 is a container where AVCHD is a codec. We don't know which codec that GX1's MP4 container is gonna use.