Personal View site logo
Samyang/Rokinon cine lenses
  • 197 Replies sorted by
  • One thing about Samyang. Why don't they release any more native m43 lens?

25mm 1.4 cinema lens (about half the height and the price of Nokton 25mm 0.95) for m43 with negligible breathing would have been great.

• @stonebat I actually own that lens, along with the 20mm 1.7, the Tokina and the SLR Magic 12mm. It's time to downsize and I grabbed the 14mm Rokinon just to check it out. I love that they all have a different look. Makes the decision oh so much easier!! :)

• That's good. I'm getting lazy about trying different looks. SLRMagic 12mm and Nokton 25mm have been my workhorses on GH2. Lumix 14mm on GF3 and Lumix 20mm on GF1 all the time.

Samyang lenses would bode well with GH2 for the cinematic look and feel. Not a bad investment at all. In a few years the prices are likely to go up.

• @vicharris I haven't seen any breathing test on the 85mm. Would be great if you could do one for us :)

• @Tobsen I'll add it to my list!!!!

• @vicharris thanks! Really looking forward to it!

• So the 85mm Cine just came in today. That completes my set of Rokinon Cine Primes now. I don't think I'll get the 35 since I already have the normal one and don't want to throw down that much money on a lens with major breathing problems. As with all these, the added gears are just too great and a real time saver. I was shooting a PSA over the past few weeks and it became a real pain in the ass to put gear rings on or have to adjust them instead of throwing a cine lens right on and going. To me it's all about 2 minutes here and two minutes there. That adds up at the end of a 14 hour day. I'm transcoding very horrible footage I just took of my christmas tree lights to see how it performs but as with the others, it's the same glass and mechanics as the normal versions and the 85mm is for sure the stand out lens in the group. Although the 24mm is growing on me! As for the 14mm question I had before, going from the Pany14mm to one of these Cine primes, say the 24mm in cuts really shows the difference. Like we all know the Pany stuff really stand out as video more so than these. I actually liked the softness of the Rokinon 14mm cine in comparison the the Pany. I'll put up the PSA when I'm done and it goes through post so people can see the cuts between all the glass. Post might be awhile since I really suck at it in terms of CC and Grading. I'll still do a breathing test on the 85mm since a few people asked for one and there doesn't seem to be one on youtube. Don't worry, I'll make it nice and boring for everyone. Maybe some cats or leftover Amazon boxes. Who knows! ;)

• Here's a nice little review of the 85mm on 4 different cameras.

• I got the 85 1.5 yesterday, I like it a lot. I will try and put something together in the next week.

• @GravitateMediaGroup Nice lens isn't it? I have em all but the 35mm cine. Just the normal of that one. I'm actually starting to like the 14mm 1.5 more than mu Tokina 11-16

• I'm actually starting to like the 14mm 1.5 more than mu Tokina 11-16

Why?

• @Ralph_B Well, the obvious is the T Stop on the lens. No more guessing but I never really had a problem with that. I never really used my Tokina wider than 14mm anyways. I always hover between 14-16mm. The "lens hood" that they provide is alot easier to fit in my MB believe it or not than the Tokina. More surface area to attach the foam ring and actually, I really can't tell the difference in IQ between it and the Tokina. I'm sure in stills you can see the difference but how I use the lens, I can't tell them apart except for the color difference. I have the 14, 24, 35 and 85 so I can pretty much shoot anything and not worry about color in post. Do you want to see comparison grabs of each @Ralph_B? For all you've done, it's the least I can do. BTW, I used Sanity5 last week for a nonstop wide shot with the Tokina and it worked and looked great for 3 hours without a hitch! I always go back to it when I need a stable shot!

• 14mm on Gh2 is very nice for 16:9.

I use 12mm when I wanna crop 16:9 to anamorphic ratio.

• @vicharris I have the 35 1.5 and use my Sigma 30mm 90% of the time instead of it. My only issue for now with the Rokinon 35mm 1.5 on a gh2 is it's awkward length. I'd say when I get my BMCC it will have a job to do. I have the 8mm fish 4/3 and Nikon and love it. For the price, you can't beat Rokinon products. I had the Tokina 11-16 for 2 days and sent it back and for the life of me can't figure out what the crave for that lens is. Maybe I should have gave it a little longer to grow on me, but for that price I would have a hard time. Maybe down the road I'll look into a used tokina.

• Got the 85 t1.5 yesterday, I'll post some screen grabs later when the kid is napping. Love the build of this lens (even if it's not metal).

• @rockkroadpix I think you will love the pictures. I tested mine yesterday along with the 12mm olympus against the new 12-35. The Olympus was slightly worse than the zoom and the samyang was slightly better.

• interesting lens test by OliviaTech. Must say the BMCC is the least video-like. Footage the camera yields is soft yet well defined, very much like images produced by European lenses. Looking forward to shooting BMCC with Leica glass

• Really digging the look of this! @jspatz !

Screen Shot 2012-12-28 at 2.16.07 PM.png
    1920 x 1200 - 2M
  • @vicharris - Have you had a chance to compare these to any Zeiss glass?

• Would like to see a shootout between Samyang and SLR Magic. :)

• @chenopup Already on my list!

• @chenopup I have 3 rokinon cines and thinking about getting a SLR magic to see what the hype is all about ; ) I'll post back here if I pull the trigger on it

• @artiswar I don't have any Zeiss glass, if I did I would.

• @vicharris - Hows the flare like on this glass, out of curiosity? Any downsides you've encountered? Contemplating picking up the 35 and 85.