Personal View site logo
Black Magic: Official $1,995 raw cinema camera topic, series 2
  • 1111 Replies sorted by
  • The BH guy said the order will "fill our BKO's of 800+ with stock left over" Reads to me like BH's back orders, not the US.

I'm confident of getting my MFT camera this year, barring any other manufacturing hiccups.

• @disordinary

The way I read it it there is 800 preorders in the USA for EF mount BMCC, not 800 to B&H alone. Also I wouldn't expect the MFT BMCC to be delayed. Once December hits, I'm sure a certain percentage (equal to or less than 50%) of good incoming sensors will be going towards the MFT BMCC line with 50% or more going to the EF BMCC line. It makes good business sense to have only one product line delay not two product lines. I guarantee at least one MFT BMCC will ship in December, so it won't be considered delayed.

• B&H has said that they will clear more than 800 cameras this year so I think manufacturing is at a fairly large scale, although its likely they have been manufacturing cameras to the best of their ability sans sensor.

• I think it would be very low number if they plan shipping in a hundred per month. With the cost of resellers, bom and R&D, for a camera like this at only $ 3000. I see them aiming more in the tens of thousand a year for it to be worthwhile.

• I've ordered a MFT mount from a supplier in NZ and was told a week or so ago that it would be delivered in December.

• @disordinary I wonder if they are separating EF mount from passive MFT mount BMCCs. I would be very surprised if all 800 pre-orders are EF only, which would most likely mean that the MFT portion won't be fulfilled until February 2013 at the earliest.

I have personally ordered a MFT mount version BMCC from B&H.

• http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2808

B&H have 800 preorders and expect them to be cleared this year.

• The only thing holding them back is how fast they can get sensors. If there were one hundred sensors available at any given time, they could ship one hundred cameras.

Likely, the plan is to get as many sensors as possible in each delivery.

John Brawley could likely testify as to whether that's true or not if he's lurking around here anymore.

• 75 is really big number, as I guess that their planned capacity is below 100 per month.

• Somewhere in the range of 75-100, including showroom cameras and rental houses is what I'd wager.

Lots of people that aren't even on forums likely have them as well.

• Judging by the number of regular people that has one I'd guess between 30 and 75 shipped.

• Many regular shooters even hobbiests have them already.

:-)

You are big proponent of BM.

Anyone can tell how many cameras had been actually delivered? 10? 20?

• Many regular shooters even hobbiests have them already.

• @MovieArmada

My understanding is that core decision was to move most first cameras to bloggers, reviewers and influental professionals.

But it seems like production improve slowly.

• any news? looks slow here. Anyone in europe getting delivered?

• And another update.

Hi,

Here is another update on the camera shipments.

Some good news. If you have read my other posts about the causes of the camera delays then you know we have been dealing with a problem with our sensor supplier related to contamination of the glass that's bonded on the front of the sensor. It's not been clean and so we had to stop production of cameras.

There have been two issues here we have been dealing with, the first that the sensor supplier has not been able to see the contamination because their tests were not good enough, and secondly that they need to find a way of bonding the glass on the sensor without contamination.

The good news is that we got a small shipment of sensors that the sensor supplier had tested with their new test setup and they were all ok when we built cameras with them. This is good because they will now be able to see sensors that are contaminated and not ship us anything that's unable to be used to build a camera.

Also, the sensor supplier has done a small run of sensors at the new company that's bonding the glass and they got almost a 100% pass rate, which is also great. This means they finally have a solution to bonding on the glass that looks like it will work.

The plan at the moment is to do a small production run this week and we hope to get those sensors next week where we can build cameras using them and see how it all goes.

But things are looking quite good. This run of cameras next week will test the sensor supplier's ability to build sensors without contamination and to also be able to test them correctly so we only get good sensors. If that's all ok then we look like we will be able to move back into production.

I will update everyone next week when we know. I also hope to have more info on how fast they can ramp up with this new supplier and the new test.

I hope this update helps.

Regards,

Grant Blackmagic Design

• @MovieArmada things like audio VU's, better exposure tools, getting 100% lens compatibility as obvious ones...

plus some others.... ;-)

jb

• Looks like the BMCC has some nasty audio issues currently - DC offset, camera resets to Line level mode when the Mic input overloads and requires a reset of the camera to change and nasty digital pre noise -

In depth blurb below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=srXGEUCRS5k

• I like your attitude @MovieArmada!

• well just ordered one BMCC... f* it! :) I'm on the line! Waiting as everybody else! :)

• The CMOSIS chip is natively only 10 stop of DR. They have 15 stop in HDR mode, that is double exposure which is not necessarily usable.

• Seems like they are shipping now - lots of reports of them turning up and my supplier is saying their orders will be fulfilled before the end of December.

I guess going back to the original glass manufacturer has helped.

• what it looks to me from this post is that BMD is learning. They were not a camera making company and they are just learning how to build and deal with this kind of problems. It's normal. I am happy they are at least trying to explain to us the problems they are facing, and being honest with us (so it seems). I have criticized this camera also, but if the shop around the corner had them for 2600€ I would run there and buy one right now.

@johnbrawley what other core features? Can you tell us or not really?

• @kodakmoment

That's a pretty new sensor. (and a CCD i'm guessing if it's from Kodak/Truesense?)

The most expensive part of developing a camera in terms of time and engineering resources, is optimising for the chosen sensor to get the most out of it.

The current investment to get to where they have now is literally millions of dollars.

They're not going to throw that away and start again with a new sensor. If they do, it would be an entirely new camera and there would be months of work.

jb

• @kazuo

Maybe you should re-read Grant's posts. It's made very clear.

jb