Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Black Magic: Official $1,995 raw cinema camera topic, series 2
  • 1111 Replies sorted by
  • it was the x-mas lights, we couldn't find a 144 degree shutter angle to combat the flicker

• Handhelded footage of the BMCC MFT w SlrMagic 12mm T1.5 and the Vöigt 17.5mm T0.95.

• Slightly off topic: I wonder if John Brawley and some others have bad copies of the voigt 17.5 judging from the comments on vimeo.. In my experience it´s sharper and more well controlled wide open than the 12mm slr magic (wide open) and much better than the voigt 25mm wide open.. The 12mm does look very good on the BMD cam though, it has to be said.

There doesn´t seem to be too much jello either, handheld.. (at a glance)

• @RRRR I was surprised too. The 17.5 I had was very bloomy wide open. I shot most of the shots in this video at about F2 which is where it looked useably sharp to me. Even on the screen on the back you could see it mushing up when you got it wide open. Just low contrast and soft.

I was expecting it to outperform the 12mm, though most of the 12mm shots when the sun was up was at F4 with an ND 9.

The 12mm was actually really sharp and a good performer.

JB.

• @johnbrawley Sounds like you got a bad copy, because the one I´ve got can be used wide open at infinity without hesitation. In some conditions it can be pushed towards displaying some abberrations and flaring is obviously not the best wide open.. But my copy feels sharp enough wide open already. So if most of your shots where directly into the sun I might understand your results but it really does sound like you didn´t get the best copy...

In my experience the 12mm looks good at 2.8 and above.. (definately useful for closeups at larger apertures). But it´s also considerably softer in the corners on the gh2 (which I used it on) relative to a smaller sensor, so it definately favors the BMD cam and the gh3 f.i.

Edit: Pm me if you want some stills samples wide open, for comparison.

• @RRRR

Nah, I doubt it's a bad copy. For whatever reason, it's only the GH2 filmmaking community that feels the Voigt 17 and 25 are actually okay wide open. IF you search the internet, most people are completely unhappy with performance wide open. It was the first thing I noticed about the 25 and the same applies to the 17.

They're both almost unusable wide open, to me.

The 12/1.6 is pretty solid wide open given the focal length and aperture, and especially given the price.

• @kholi, I´ve had both the 12 and 17.5mm and seen plenty of footage from the 25 wide open. The 25mm IMO is unusable wide open because of its fringing.. it´s also softer than the 17.5 hands down. Soft is not always bad, though. A 25mm voigt shot at f0.95 really shines through in an edit, in a bad way due to it´s purple fringing. The 12mm IMO is unusable (on a gh2) below f2.8 unless it´s for details or a facial shot f.i. where you only make use of the center sharpness. Don´t get me wrong - some lighting can induce fringing on the 17.5mm as well, and fringing can be mitigated by how you set the focus.

The voigt´s focal field is REALLY narrow, which makes it very difficult to use wide open. For night shots (low budget) I would not think twice about it, however. For day shots I would not use a wide open aperture in general.

If you send me a pm I can mail some quick samples, for comparison.

Still waiting for the bmd cam to arrive, so I can´t do any comparisons between cameras..

• @RRRR

Yeah, I can't really agree on the SLR 12/1.6 not being usable wide open. But different strokes for different folks and that's all good! I think the 17.5 is the only fast option right now anyway until someone does something about that, so even if you treat it as a 1.2 or 1.4 you get mileage out of it.

It's not about the focal plane, it's just that the lens is soft in general wide open. It shows through in every way. =T

Thanks for the offer, I've had time with the 17.5mm, just speaking from my experience.

• Thanks for the offer, I've had time with the 17.5mm, just speaking from my experience.

That´s exactly why I´d like you to take a look. I know there is quite a bit of fluctuation in the quality of the 12mm slr magic, especially early on but it would be interesting to see if there is a similar kind of fluctuation with the 17.5.

I´m sure you could say off the cuff if my results are similar to your experiences. If not, then that might warrant a thorough test; but that´s a whole different kettle of fish of course!

• Can you upload them to a site and post links? I think it's topic relevant as people would want to use them on the camera.

You also have a point about early SLR 12's versus current.

• I´ll try to find the proper topic.. upload a few samples.

Check here: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2207/17.5mm-f0.95-voigtlander-topic#Item_158

• This would be beneficial to me because I am in the ballpark for the SLR 12mm lens.

• @daisuke, there´s a specific topic on the 12mm lens, check the gear>lens section.. I sold my copy of it, but would very much like to see some new sample comparisons.

• @RRRR I just checked your stills, don't want to start a fire in that thread or anything or get sliced to pieces, less people paying attention here:

Your stills exhibit exactly what I'm referring to. It's way too soft wide open for motion picture, IMO. But by 1.2~1.4 it's fine, and we don't have anything faster than a 2 in that range, anyway, so it's still got value to me until someone else improves upon it in the same range, 15 - 18mm 1.4~2

Thanks for posting!

• Well, I´d really like to see some examples from your 12mm slr magic, since my copy was obviously softer than the 17.5 wide open..

Mind, I have not used the 17.5 extensively for film-making, nor the 12mm slr magic.. Both are pretty extreme lenses IMO, and I rarely have any use for a lens with a wider angle of view than 64 or so degrees, other than when it´s practically necessary – for the way I like to shoot, normally.

• HEre's a folder of stills from me testing for a short film last month. I used the 12/1.6 to take set photos and BTS video as well. Some of the pictures are stills, some of them are screen grabs from actual video, handheld and people moving. Not locked off.

The stills with the glove and guy at the door are actually from my feature film, used as insert or a sequence.

http://www.campcomet.com/stills/slr12/

Few MBs a piece. We very well may differ on what usable sharpness is wide open, but personally I think the SLR12/1.6 is adequately rated, where F1.6 is usable and moving down to a 2~2.8 split is where it becomes optimized. by 4~5.6 split it's slightly better.

This is why I'm looking forward to the 25/0.95 and 35/0.95, and I do hope SLR takes advantage of the 15-28mm market with a prime in that range, that's somewhere between a 1.0 and 1.6 max aperture, and sharp enough for video.

Stills, different story, you can correct a lot with a single frame so.

Also, I uploaded some of John's DNGs to my google Drive if you want to see the 12/1.6 on Blackmagic, so that this post is relevant: https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B8-f-XPnmOp6dm1GVDBaaXY2WTQ/edit

I don't think the 17.5/0.95 is too bad to use, though, and I think by 1.4~2 it's fine.

• Thanks @kholi – It´s funny.. while center sharpness is certainly ok on the 12mm, I find it way too soft for wide shots (in general) unless stepped down to 2-2.8 or more. On the gh2 I´d avoid wide shots alltogether with it because the corners never really get there. Ok when there is clear background separation, not ok for a wide scene with focus in the distance. Mind, the samples I provided of the 17.5 were intended to show the behaviour of the lens rather than a typical shot I´d do with it.. and while it also has a pronounced field curvature and quite a bit of vignetting I prefer how it renders small detail at a distance. In the center, up close, I don´t see much of a difference between 1.6 and 0.95.

I can´t say the 12mm differs much from my conception of it from John´s footage, either – the wide shots are very soft, but it works in those particular conditions.. and occasionally in others.

Two good lenses, the 12mm definately works better on the bmd than on the gh2.

I´m also looking forward to the 25, 35 f0.95 and hopefully they will not dissapoint!

• Guys, this is wrong topic for lenses discussion, use proper topic.

• @chef how the heck do you already have a MFT mount?

wanna sell it? lol

• @GravitateMediaGroup - that's John Brawley's video. Not much of a secret as to how he has his hands on one...

• @GravitateMediaGroup I dont own it dude, just found on a tweet this vid and posted it here,you gotta ask @johnbrawley ;)

• @chef I know, the post above made it clear. When I originally seen it I didn't watch it, just saw that it was m43 mount.

• According to the guy I talked to at B&H on the phone, I repeat "according to a random BH worker" The BMCC canon mounts that they are getting, have been shipped to them and are on their way to BH.

• MTF Services Adapters