Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Black Magic: Official $1,995 raw cinema camera topic, series 2
  • 1111 Replies sorted by
  • Hi! Is there any indications about when BM starts to deliver MFT version?

• Hi! Is there any indications about when BM starts to deliver MFT version?

Nope. As I understand even EF delivery is being extremely slow.

• There are a few indications in the latest posts on black magic related forum that they may be coming soon..

For the MFT model, we want to get through some more of the EF orders before I give a date on when we will start getting the MFT orders out. They are ready to go, but we need to get through most of the early EF pre-orders first.

you won't get anything from blackmagic, but people are reporting that mft are on the way.

• Wow, it's like 75% of that video is out of focus. I had to turn it off because it started to hurt my eyes. Or maybe I'm just going blind!

• again, I really wanted some shots to have more highlight detail. Am I being too demanding of the bmc? Regardless, im a fan of the camera and dying for the mft version to be released so i can buy it.

• @vicharris

Wow, it's like 75% of that video is out of focus. I had to turn it off because it started to hurt my eyes. Or maybe I'm just going blind!

Not just you. I'm guessing either in-camera or (even worse) in post diffusion. Ugh, diffusion...

• @cls105 i thought this was a pretty good example of good DR and a pushed grade....

• Excellent example. The uploaded MP4 shows some gradation in the blacks and sky, but that'll be the MP4 compression. Fine detail is superb though, without false resolution from sharpening. I fucking love this camera, can't wait for my mFT to come.

• @vicharris you're not wrong, the image is all out of focus. It looks like the whole thing was shot using the lens wide open at 1.2 with about a foot of ND in front of it, or it's focused past infinity. You can still see some fine detail captured, but it just look meh!

• @itimjim Yep, just goes to prove any camera can look like shit! That guy needs to pull that down. Embarrassing.

• finally got my BMCC today, well above retail price because i'm impatient and was sick of waiting. so far I have mixed opinions, but for it being their 1st attempt at a camera, they did a pretty damn good job. It's very simple and straight forward as far as the operating the camera.

Complaint #1 is bulky size and shape. handheld without a rig is pretty much out of the question.

Complaint #2 is no live view of adjusting WB, ISO, and shutter. I'm sure this will be fixed in the near future, and if you are shooting raw, those issues are kind of irrelevant.

Complaint #3 is no in camera clip delete (which again will be fixed in the future I'm sure) For a camera that swallows storage whole, you would think this should be a given.

• Now this looks like it will be an interesting comparison. Shane Hurlbut has begun a comparison of the following cameras, apparently to choose one (or two) for lensing the latest film on which he is DP, "Need for Speed":

• Sony F65
    • Sony F5
    • Arri Alexa
    • Red Epic
    • Canon 1DC
    • Canon C500
    • Black Magic
    • GoPro Hero 3
    • 35mm Film

http://www.hurlbutvisuals.com/blog/2013/02/digital-cinematography/

I think my favorite image from the tests is the one below...

http://www.hurlbutvisuals.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/1lHWF.jpg

1lHWF.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 129K
  • Christian Bale's favourite DP lol

• love that picture @ahbleza. I can afford one of the things in that picture.....

• Hurlbut will probably use the ALEXA + Canon 1DC+ GoPro Hero 3. Its a big budget Hollywood "fast and furious" cash in film.

Why even drag the other cams and especially Black Magic into this.

• It looks like EF cameras have issue with infinity focus with some lenses that do not got slightly past infinity.

• I read that this morning. Very unfortunate that the tokina 11-16 is one of the lenses effected.

They have quite long topics on official forum.

[Edited by VK]

• Re: hurlbut.. why on earth not try and get an f55 for the comparison? Seems like a perfect specced cam for most shots one could think of, for such a film. No need for gopros. :-)

Re: infinity, yes - it was the same with my friend´s BMD when he tried the Tokina. Apparently it could be possible to modify the lenses slightly for infinity accomodation but this, to me seems like quite a detour to get a wide angle shot. Obviously, if you have a good shop nearby and don´t have to do the mod yourself (and can afford it) it should be no biggie.

• Out of all lenses for this camera to have a problem with I believe wide angle and specifically the Tokina 11-16 which has turned into a workhorse, even for RED users, is a huge problem. You need a wide lens for this thing and for it to not focus, seems like a huge oversight by the company. I'm confused as to why this wasn't caught.

• @vicharris

I use the rokinon 14mm with no issue, and I know another guy that uses the Tokina with no issue.

• I had the infinity issue with the 14mm Rokinon when I rented an EF BMC. Stopped down, the results still looked fine but if you looked at 1:1 focus on the LCD you could see it wasn't quite hitting infinity.

• Hmmm, seems to be a QC issue then. @GravitateMediaGroup so when are you going to get off your ass and show us some footage?!! :)