Personal View site logo
Black Magic: Official $1,995 raw cinema camera topic, series 2
  • 1111 Replies sorted by
  • It's not as simple as just "putting in some pins"......

I understand that it is not such simple, but it is not thing that must be done from scratch, as BM has EF version.

• Yes, but again. It's not as simple as just "putting in some pins"......

jb

• that wasn't something that can be done quickly. It would have taken many more months to do.

But it is very good idea to press engineers a bit more and try to do it.

Also it is very good idea to consider E Mount as the only mount, as cheap electronic Chinese E Mount to EOS adapters are available. m43 manual lenses can be also mounted using cheap adapters. So, it can be all in one version.

So, may be, after all, m43 was not so good solution.

• @Tobsen

To be totally clear, there is no way this mount can be activated later to be an active m4/3.

As nice an idea as it is to simply have the pins in there for later, that wasn't something that can be done quickly. It would have taken many more months to do.

JB.

• These days you can't always assume that people are shooting with cinematic projection in mind. It's just as likely you could be targeting a tablet or laptop screen or even a mobile phone.

The film grain look? I don't assume that the same aesthetic that looks good projected on a screen, or on a large TV in the living room works just as well when viewed on 1080p tablet or Retina display half a meter away. Personally I am finding that when I watch video at arms length or closer I see EVERYTHING. When I am watching stuff up close I don't want to see noise, I want to see detail.

I think the BMCC and it's RAW workflow offers amazing levels of detail. It can deliver an image that has detail, color and as far as noise is concerned, it seems that existing RAW tools already do an amazing job cleaning noise and controlling sharpness and softness in the image.

I would agree that the GH3 with its clean AVC-100 will appeal to a different type of shooter. Perhaps this kind -> http://www.dslrnewsshooter.com/category/journalism/

I see the GH3 and BMCC as amazing camera packages that are not necessarily competing with each other.

• @johnbrawley. Just preordered the BMC MFT and I am really excited about it. I am ok with the passive mount, since I own a lot of manual glass.

Still, having the possibility to put a stabilized lens on it, would be a HUGE benefit. BM would definitely give their MFT version sales another boost, if people knew that there would be a way to "activate" the mount via firmware or even hardware upgrade at some point in the future.

• @woodybrando

Its quite timely that you've asked about noise in relation to the two cameras. I have always thought the noise in hacked GH2 footage is organic enough to pass off as grain when blown up on a big screen. I like the hacked GH2 because the noise particles are "refined". Panasonic seems to have removed the noise-signal ratio with the GH3, judging from available footage so far, that's all good. But the video I feel now comes across as too sleek, and clean. It's more clinical than film-like.

Likewise, the noise in BMCC may not be a bad thing. If you blow the footage up, per chance it might look like grain. Unless we are talking about artifacts and pixelation.

• r there any hacked gh2 vs bmcc vids out there? side by side comparisons?

• is it me or is this footage noisy as hell, i downloaded the 1 gig+ file and looked at it in premiere @ 1:1 and it's making me think we don't have it so bad with the gh2 after all:

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

The hard part of making a m4/3 mount is actually the pins. Not just the software. To make an active version, you wouldn't have seen one till April next year, even if it was passive and pins in place but not active.

My understanding is that firmware upgrades will be free.

JB.

• @mintcheerios when did BMC say they'd consider making an active m43 version of their camera?

• I hope Black Magic considers Vitaliy's suggestion. When the BMC rep said they'd consider making an active m43 version, I automatically thought "great, then I'll have to buy another camera just to use my active lenses".

• Not with Panny-Leica or Oly lenses.

• It would be great if at least you could control iris and have manual focus on Panasonic and Olympus MFT lenses. I would not hesitate buying the BMCC. I reckon, though, there would be no image correction on these lenses, and distortion and CA could be quite severe.

• I too strongly believe that Vitaliy's suggestion makes tremendous sense. Also if this would mean to delay the camera like @Ralph_B told.

• Vitaliy's suggestion of putting the electrical contacts in now and activating them later, makes tremendous sense. I hope Blackmagic seriously considers this, even if it means delaying the camera several months. It will make the camera an even stronger product.

• @johnbrawley I guess John's guess is the best insider guess right now although @Vitaliy_Kiselev just touched on it.

Some of the changes and upgrades that will be coming will be major firmware advances I expect. In your opinion, will BM owners get these free or will the improvements become a constant pay as you go plan.

I'm really beginning to warm up to this camera.

• @johnbrawley

May be it is good idea is to suggest them to make electrical contacts from the start (from logic side), but not make it working from the start.

Such approach will allow to use firmware updates instead of major changes.

I am sure that all IO abilities (in main LSI or FCPGA) is present already as they have them for EOS.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

There's a lot to still work on. Aside from actually making them too of course, they have a lot of work to do on the software as well (better metering, VU's etc)

jb

• @peaceonearth

I think the m4/3 is a more open option. You probably have more options and there are more and more companies making m4/3 specific lenses that will still work with the passive mount.

If you already have a lot of EF lenses and IS is also important to you, then EF is compelling, as long as you're OK to go to something like the Tokina 11-16 for a faster wide.

Personally, I don't love the EF mount. You don't get smooth iris changes. You don't get any flexibility in mounting other lenses and you're kind of locked into canon stills lenses, which as nice as L series lenses are, are still just stills lenses.

I like the wider range of low and high end options you get with m4/3. AF doesn't matter to me and I prefer the manual iris too.

If you already have a 5Dmk2/3 then maybe you can consider both ? Get a m4/3 BMCC and keep shooting Canon for stills and the occasional video shot you could only do with a canon dSLR.

jb

• next goal for BM is to add full fledged m43 with AF (even slow), PZ and IS support.

• @johnbrawley having not decided whether to go for MTF or EF mount I would like to ask for your thoughts about it. Probably you are the only person who had a hand on both. As a Canon photographer I have a bunch of L lenses and after using GH2 for one year I own some µFT: 12mm SLR magic, 25mm Voigtlander, some FD glass with a novoflex adapter but in use only 50mm 1:1,4.

I tend to go for EF mount because I don't own C-mount or PL lenses and have no plans to make invests in these glasses. GH2 community is enthusiastic about µFT..

• @nomad Actually it's NOT as simple as adding power. That's why it wasn't present on this release. (power is there for IRIS remember)

jb