Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Black Magic: Official $1,995 raw cinema camera topic, series 2
  • 1111 Replies sorted by
  • @Mckinise Well of course Resolve for the grade but I'm cutting footage in FCP7. Sure there's a better option but I don't have the time to learn something new right now. As for my computer, I just built a hackintosh from the pro specs on NoFilmSchools website. Also using an Xstar 27" LPS monitor which is just a rebranded Samsung screen. Really nice though and only $300. I will say though that the wireless card is a p.o.s. at least for me. I'm having horrible problems with wifi.

But once again I'll add I'm really new to this camera so talk to some of the vets here.

• I think it looks fine @vicharris, especially considering being new to it.

xD Wish I had some of the footage to work on my LUT with! Almost done with it, me thinks.

• @kholi I'll be out your way in the next day or so. Want be to bring over the ssd's so you can pull whatever you want?

• Just a heads up, you get about 34 min out of that 240 card in RAW. ProRes is hours though and looks great!

Oh nice! I actually thought I was only going to get 15mins in RAW. Good news!

Was really only the compatable drive I could find though... think they're getting scarce.

Hope they test and approve the Extreme II drives soon.

• @vicharris What's wrong with Tokina 11-16 on BMCC?

• @jfilmmaker I did a quick and dirty test with it, the new Rokinon 16mm and the SLR12mm looking at edge sharpness since I heard the Tokina wasn't good. The Tokina came in last. The order was Rokinon, SLR then Tokina. It wasn't scientific or anything. When I test items I just shoot everyday objects and see what looks best to my eyes. I shot a huge canvas oil painting so there's tiny detail everywhere. Easy to see where the Tokina falls flat at. Pity. I'll post the grabs somewhere but not sure what topic they should be in. Rokinon 16mm, Tokina 11-16, SLR 12mm or BMCC. Maybe I should just start a new one. Maybe someone will let me know the best place.

• @vicharris Shots look great. Has a very nice modern cinematic texture/feel to it. Rokinons seem like a good match for BMCC. They should really make that 50mm for complete set.

• @matt_gh2 Thanks man and thank Kholi. He lit the set. We thought it was going to be rough but I really like what we captured. And yep, Rokinon needs to make that fucking 50mm! Won't be one till 2014. I understand why but not having a matching 50 is killing me. If anyone knows of one that's close, PLEASE let me know! :)

• @Wilbo

Just got my mft today. I now know why pp video tape themselves unboxing, the excitement's like undressing a gal for the first time. Wow, her body is beautiful in this case, made of similar steel from the Mac pro casing. In fact no one would blame you if you thought Steve Jobs had a hand in designing it, right down to the packaging.

Heavy thing. You wont regret it!

• Does the Voigtlander 25mm not work with the BMCC? I haven't seen anyone mention it.

• @kazuo ...envious :) I'm waiting for Texas Media Systems (my BMPC preorder) to reply to an email if they can match either this deal:

http://www.sharbor.com/products/BMDN5000006.html

or this deal:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blackmagic-Design-Cinema-Camera-with-MFT-Mount-and-Switronix-Battery-and-Charger-/370873379297?pt=Camcorders_Professional_Video_Cameras&hash=item5659c6a9e1

...because I tried to order from TMS first. If they can't I'm just going to jump on one of the deals above :)

• Boths deals are sweet. Seems like you are caught between a rock and a hard place :-)

The Switronix battery seems very common in the US, and it's reasonably inexpensive. here in Singapore, some of the guys have hijacked the market. very few would deal with this brand so they jacked up the price. You wouldn't believe how much they are selling it. US$440! You can buy 2 units from B&H for that price. fuckers

• @SuperSet I love the Voigtlander 25mm on my BMCC. Works just fine, and gives roughly a 50mm FFE FoV. I did some night shooting last week, and was more than happy with the results.

• seems like the sigma 18-35 is the new "THE lens" for this camera? Ill have to give it a try regardless.

• I'm likely getting one, the 18-35/1.8, but want a NIkon mount.

Also, footage from Roman over on the BMCuser forum has really made me think twice about having an IS lens. I may end up with a 35/2 or a 17-55/2.8 canon as well. =T

• @kholi Are you not happy with the results from handheld work on the MFT version?

• Hmm not that I'm unhappy, but that it takes a lot of effort that one could otherwise dedicate to maintaining composition (handheld), pulling focus, watching the frame for weird things etc.

As in, it would be ONE less thing to worry about.

• Got my MFT BMCC yesterday and its great. I have a speedbooster on the way now, I actually did try the Light Cannon for a minute and it was pretty horrifying compared to even using it with the GH2.

I hope the new 18-35 1.8 looks good with the speed booster, that combo with 1.3x anamorphic would be pretty perfect.

• http://www.zgc.com/t/techinfo/mtf-effect-control-unit.html

EF to dumb MFT now with IS support. Looks like $1200 with your choice of base mount. At least there is an IS option for Canon EF on any MFT mount now

edit: nevermind $1500. cut that in half and they'd actually sell a few

• ha yeah, that or another BMCC? hmm.

• Guys what cam you using for 60p slow mo shots to cut with the BMCC for mainly internet/youtube work

• @sammy

Well... if you're on this forum, you probably already have a snazzy Gh2 that does solid 60p with the hack... that's what I'd use :)

...in which case, you'd just have to be better about properly lighting the GH2 to match the BMCC (so I know I'd have a lot of trouble with it, haha)

• @sammy - My plan is to get a GH3. I need to sell some gear first and get a beefier tripod before I worry over 60p.

• @sammy - Phantom Miro as of a few weeks ago =3

• @kholi There's a very budget conscious decision! :)