Personal View site logo
Official Panasonic GH3 topic
  • 1288 Replies sorted by
  • @kellar2: In the beginnin of the video, you can see Igor and me on the far left side. After this guy, we had the GH3 in our hands. This clip was filmed this the Canon 300 I think.

• I mean, features are great, but I just can't see trading in a camera for one that has LESS resolution. Ultimately I upgraded the GH2 from GH1 because it just seemed to pull slightly--and I mean slightly--more detail out of the scene. Could be the real upgrade is BMCC, I'd rather have 2K, but it could still be we haven't seen the real potential. Bring on the early adopters!

• Hi to all,

I have finished the video from the GH3 press conference. It lasts for 47 minutes and is 2.55 GB large. I can not upload it to youtube (stops after 10 % for no obvious reason) or Vimeo (only up to 500 MB allowed).

Any solution? Somebofy offered FTP webspace. Well, maybe yes?

Let me know. I have look in the morning.

Thanks

Dieter

• @xeonogears I agree :) The gradiation/skintones/dynamic range/low light in the Genesis download look excellent to me, it is not even vaguely soft and that was very old cam version dont forget, an I wouldn't judge ANY camera with a run n gun cat video. As for the oversized sensor goes, im sure I can live with 0.2xx extra crop.

• Definitely ugly on the outside! Here is a 'hands on', although I think he has a few facts wrong, worth a watch:

• People complaints about aspect sensor, softness, price, codec. I really love the camera, i don't think there's another camera with this specs at this price range. I'm looking for the Sony A99 but the GH3 make me doubt about the Sony.

My only complaint is not operational is the look of the camera, the Lumix GH3 is ugly as hell ;)

• We can't judge on this video, although, pampuri is an experimented shooter, he did a free run with the cam and didn't try to get the best of it. It was also a prototype and he didn't use any of the new in cam-pictures profile, like the "wide Dynamic range" .... he just push the rec button, that's what he said himself.

• @L1N3ARX You are definitely right it missing that GH2 IT factor, let's wait and see other footage & what V.K comes up with.

• Guy's not that I'm saying the GH3 is not a great cam, but I'm sticking with my lovely Hacked GH2 It offers the same quality if not better, love that camera Here is a Raw video sample of the GH3.. judge for yourself.

• Yeah... not sure about the GH3 anymore. I don't think the highlights are any more protected than with the GH2 based on the cat video. Maybe I'm just seeing things... but I I'm just not sensing the panasonic mojo that I loved in the GH1 / GH2. They simply have a distinctive feel from every other Sony / Canon and Nikon DSLR... something indescribable that isn't in this latest GH3 footage I'm seeing. It's a combination of softness and smoother motion rendering and an ever so slight change in color pallet that is just throwing me off here, but based just on the latest footage, I much prefer GH2 material for now.

Hopefully I just need to see the right kind of footage, a good slap in the face to show me what this camera can really do. Can't wait to see it in the hands of some indie guys around here and on vimeo and leave it to them to work their magic.

• BMC camera is unusable on handheld stuff, GH3 is ( if we reffer to the released video ), if i had to go with RAW, i will put my money on the Digital Bolex, wich had CCD and a very similar crop factor than the GH3 ( 2.4 x ), plus it have MFT lens mount. .... I would have already bought it.. If it was released... Doh!

• No1 outside of EU is allowed to bitch about the GH3 price $1300 it is a steal :) UK price is equivalent to $2500 so you should b grateful for that.

• To me it looks like we all just got a really good basis to improve upon once the GH3 gets in the hands of VK. Right off the bat I can see the new and improved stock features will help in many ways. What more can we ask for at this price point.

• @kholi yeah i feel the same thing, BMC its a great camera but it will force you to spend some extra bucks to pimp it up, even in Post. But its a RAW - ProRes - DNxHD camera. And it just amazes me how a small player can come up with a camera like that and all this big players can't... or won't... @Vitaliy_Kiselev should look into that camera :) Still i don't think i will ever sell my "old" GH2 VK pimped :)

• @kholi I hear ya, and would never suspect you of a less than rational response to any of these cameras. There is just something in bits of that Genesis 1080p that I really like. Perhaps I have not analyzed GH2 clips at full res downloads lately. Perhaps this camera can be hacked as well. Time will tell.

I'm a big BMC fan, as well, but would only go for the MTF lens mount which seems aways off. Plus it's more than twice the price and the storage yadda yadda...

• @danyyyel

By the way, i think that DR is improved in the black tones, i don't find highlight handling to be very good in pampuri's video.

• @Kholi I agree, looks soft.

• Hi, I love that it's gh cameras are more of an evolution [sorta] rather than a revolution. Really, Arri was always that way, inching ahead and producing failsafe cameras.

Red - the revolution came along, just like a holy new ford passenger car, re-designed from the ground up, filmed rising up out of the lake for a tv ad... Red's great camera, nice images, but holy! can you get into technical hot water on location!

With the little gh2, I've always felt confident on a job, because everything works as advertised. Having a second or third body around is easy. Hats off to panasonic for listening and doing their best to produce a great new updated product that people will like. I hope I can get one asap. I just wonder where I should order from.

Thanks to the folks who made the effort to go to the trade show and to the filmmakers and photogs who tested the camera. (even if it was promotional material).

• I did not see any mention of HDR in Video, though.

• @allenswrench True. But still if you are shooting a good planned fiction, RAW will give you some much room in the PP. Off course ProRes and DNxHD are a great options. @Aria we use DSLR because they are Small, versatile and CHEAP, this guys make a 4 minute movie with 30K of lens budget in it! That kind of kills it no?

• @MovieArmada I will be using GH2 for a long time, since I don't want to wait for the BMCC or buy zillion of terrabytes of disks. It's great but it is not practical yet. How do I retain all the footage? Forget it. BMCC might be the first cheapo RAW camera, but it will probably be remembered as a first cheap DNxHD and 10 bit camera! Ironic!

• @mlysbakken i know, i know...but i have no time to watch it...:-(((( but nooow heheh !!!

• It seems to me that once you learn the camera, not much different than any other camera, there shouldn't be a lot of bad footage being shot for someone to critique. Surely we haven't seen any footage that suggests this camera isn't capable of producing good image quality. Heck we don't even know what settings were used to do the "Genesis" video.

This camera has far more range of settings than the GH1 or GH2 so there's a lot that can go wrong in terms of sharpness, contrast etc. Especially if you're using a lot of different lenses as they did in the "Genesis" video. I think that's likely part of the inconsistency of the image in the video. Plus the lack of familiarity with the camera in general.

There has to be a lot of range of difference between the look of the SLRMagic 12mm, Oly 14-35 f2 and the Pany 12-35mm f2.8. Not to mention all the other factors. I'm trying to read some of the clues here and I saw enough image clues in certain scenes to tell that there's a lot of good qualities to this cameras image if what I saw was any indication of the possibilities. It's gonna take much more time and experimentation to find the sweet spot of the GH3.

• I am really excited about the wide dynamic range. there should be a comparison to gh2. i will try one tomorrow. :)

• @allenswrench i understand you 100%. RAW is the FUTURE or even the present with BMCC. @RRRR @Jizzyjones i have download bloom's upload and watched it on 32" HD TV and blew me away.

BUT STILL: is GH3 good enough to upgrade (and spend 1500€) from hacked GH2?

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions