Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Panasonic GH3 topic
  • 1288 Replies sorted by
  • http://osgfilms.com/the-panasonic-gh3/

talking about focus peaking and uncompressed HDMI... WTF ?

• I dont understand the argument that Panasonic put 4:2:0 on purpose to not be in competition with its "pro" line of video cameras. That is absolute nonsense. Give us 4:2:2 and put 4:4:4 in your pro line cameras and thats a good start. For how long will they cripple their own technology? What, are they some kind of magicians who want to keep a trick in their sleeve just in case of?! "oh no let's not give them what they want even if doesnt cost us a dime more. Let's put some controversy and ambiguity in our new products". Hmmm clever.

Also for those dreaming that hardware modifications could still hapen, just wake up. If they can change something via firmware then why not, but everything hardware related is already etched in stone for GH3 so just get your heads out of the clouds.

• Hello to all,

finally, the complete press conference is online. Thnaks to LongJohnSilver for letting me use his account.

It will be downloadable soon under another URL as well. It was the basic uploader that did the work well. Thanks for the hint.

• @aked thanks for filming and uploading, most appreciated :)

• So, topic cleared a little. Few Voldemort references :-)

Post by @Neverhood removed (I have it saved, so anyone can ask). Why? Due to some strange facts that I find unfounded. I think we can find some place to it, I do not know.

• JPEG/RAW samples taken at Photokina had long been available - link: http://www.mediafire.com/?y7w7adcx989mn

Just added to http://www.personal-view.com/photokina/coverage/gh3 also

• @ tenjin I completely agree with You ! can't understand Pana's arguments ? In their communication they used terms like " Flagship " " Wide DR" " Big Step Up "…etc, they Put Philip Bloom @ Logan on the Front of these " Cinema or Movie "Pro arguments…

But in fact, what we have on this " Flagship " No HDMI 4.2.2 uncompressed Output, No Peaking, No Zebra, No Flat P, No 240 or at least 120 fps…etc etc

Just tame modest shy & bashful Marketing Strategy… is all what we got… Personally, don't think moving on to these GH3… Keeping my Precious GH2, but certainly going toward BMCC, Nikon or the New Upcoming the wonderful & Cheap Kinraw

• Vitaly, just curious, but, if you believe that 4-2-0, 4-2-2 and 4-4-4 aren't difficult to achieve, than, why are GH2 users being denied that kind of hack? (Please don't mention the Apocalypse 4-4-4 Hack. It was Nowhere even close. As a matter of fact, the FlowMotion and some of Driftwood's hacks, seemed more promising. Though, none any better than 4-2-0.) Also, why don't you volunteer to Panasonic, to Improve the Firmware on the GH3, if you are so confident, that it is such a simple task?

• @badie

LOL. People are always the same.

• @CameraEnthusiast

Vitaly, just curious, but, if you believe that 4-2-0, 4-2-2 and 4-4-4 aren't difficult to achieve, than, why are GH2 users being denied that kind of hack?

You mixed different things. I talked about HDMI output, not about H.264 encoding. But H.264 encoding with better color resolution is also nothing terrible difficult, it just must be assumed from the start of hardware design.

• @Guys

No HDMI 4.2.2 uncompressed Output

This is just in pure rumor status. Period.

• @svart, agreed, they gave us a lot of features! But I did not ask them to outsource the sensor and turn my 11mm prime back into a 14mm prime.

Must have wideangle! Anyway the battery looks good, and I bet it is so cheap they will just be giving free batteries extra with every cam.

One think I liked about the gh1 was you could plug it into the wall and run it all day without getting warm right outta the box. What I would really like to see is just an AC port that is accessible on the side of the cam so you can power the beast and charge the battery without taking it off the fracking tripod and you have seamless backup in case the AC goes out. Now supposedly you can squeeze the battery out with the GH3 on the tripod--assuming you are the only person on the planet who uses the tripod at exactly 90 degrees on the QR plate--but that doesn't solve your power problem. Just put an AC port on the thing. Like all of my nine Canon Camcorders. OK, eight, I sold one. I mean this is basic stuff, you want pro features, well, pros use a big fat tripod. I don't want to drag a fake battery around made out of fake plastic that replaces the only real battery in the camera.

I'm not saying I don't like the upgrades, it just isn't really pro. Pro=gradable HDMI vid, pro=phantom power, 24 bit audio, plus, and here is the kicker, the one in the pictures does not have any little white marks on the Nav wheel. Great. Lost in the dark. I'm sure its a great cam, just not my ideal pro cam, that's all. Give me actual zoom that looks as good as a $200 camcorder zoom--smooth, quiet, holds focus. Give me on-the-fly dynamic compression that dials all the blown highlights under and dials up all the crushed black up without looking like a cat accident. Maybe we will see some steps in DR department.

• To save space and time, those wanting Panasonic to incorporate certain features before releasing simply give a short list like the one below. Those that want to complain about us "complaining", try to keep it short too ;) It sucks reading lengthy repetitive posts over and over every night just to get bits of real info.

1) 720p 120 fps

2) Multi aspect non sony sensor (there is always hope for change when a product does poorly)

3) 4:2:2

4) wireless working with any freaking computer, not just hipster mobile stuff (I realize the usefulness, but opt out of that tech).

5) a gold plated hood ornament that can mount to the hot shoe, light up and play Michael Jacksons "Santa Claus is Coming to Town"

• @mee

Don't like to read, just check wiki :-)

• True that Vitaliy. I think I have an addiction to this thread though, as much as I loathe it at times.

• Hmmm, actually I know I saw the wiki link, but I am struggling to find it. Is this the right one ?

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panasonic_LUMIX_DMC-GH3

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev How do you open those sample image ZIP files? I can see inside them, but I get an error when I try to extract anything. Using WinRAR.

• This talk about pleading with Panasonic to give us 4:2:2 is pretty funny. They could easily do it if they wanted to. Just a lingering result of the old minimalist mind set..."don't give the chooks everything they want...leave something for the next model" (i.e. via a simple firmware change). Old habits die hard in corporate Nippon.

Even Bloom or the Catman won't get them to change bullshit 4:2:0 in the GH3...

• @BlueBomberTurbo

You need archive parts :-)

• @GH2UW

Just a lingering result of the old minimalist mind set..."don't give the chooks everything they want...leave something for the next model"

It is just false bullshit.

Even Bloom or the Catman won't get them to change bullshit 4:2:0 in the GH3...

Bloom had been hired to do specific job, not to give suggestions.

• Also...who did they consult to give us not-multi-aspect sensor. As always they do exactly what they want. Never lose sight of that!

@ Vitaliy_Kiselev

So why no 4:2:2...bullshit is in Pana decision/ customer consultation process!

• Well now that the cam is revealed, I am sure if people keep bitching here for another week, Panasonic will release it with 10bit and 422 :) Also, in another week, their CEO will release a video praising the sensor abilities (if he even knows what that is). So yeah, keep bitching.

• @GH2UW

Generally, they do not need to consult anyone.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Yes ...thank you. That is my point.

I still think GH3 will be nice camera...but with very little extra effort it would have been fantastic!

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions