Personal View site logo
GH3 rumors topic
  • 869 Replies sorted by
  • Gah, I think I might have seen it in the wild last Saturday. This guy was shooting with a DLSR and tripod on the Brooklyn bridge. I glanced at the camera, didn't recognize it, and then noticed it was some sort of "blacked out" body, with no text or anything on it. I almost stopped to ask what it was, but foot traffic on the bridge is crazy.

• No, that promo vid was shot with the gh2. (as it´s the only cam available until gh3) ;)

• @vicharris

The video stuff in this clearly wasn't shot with an Alexa or Red. Like I said before, look at the rolling shutter in the train shot. Then there's the fact that Philip Bloom and Bruce Logan were given the camera for a test/review shoot and we see some of their shots in the video. It would be quite an elaborate hoax if that footage isn't from the GH3. Not to mention pretty corrupt on Bloom's part. I'm sure this will all be cleared up when the NDA ends and his 'shooting with the GH3' video is released.

Great straw man though!

• More so that film itself is in the 14 stop of DR. So the argument is a little bit moot. Yes lighting is still very very important because you have to also shape it.

• For those of you that think a major electronics company would not shoot on a different camera that what they are advertising are grossly misinformed. This isn't an opinion. This is a fact.

• What seems really really strange to me is that they have leaked so damn raw video presentation just three days before supposed official release..

• @svart

So basically the efforts that Arri put into pushing Dynamic Range in the Alexa means... what?

I guess that was an interesting post, anyway.

• When its getting released??? lets celebrate the Gh3 with 12-35 x vario and 35-100 vario x lenses!!

• Didn't even think to look at that; skew is looking pretty good for an object moving that fast!

• if DR was as important as you folks make it out to be then the film industry would just stop buying lighting equipment, throw away their bounce materials and fill their dumpsters full of frost and diffusion and just use natural lighting for everything. You know, because you guys think only maximum DR matters which means that all that lighting equipment that the film industry uses to REDUCE DR doesn't mean anything. Crap. Proper lighting is meant to compress the dynamic range into a range that is easily seen by the eye and by the film and also makes things look interesting as a useful byproduct.

• Indeed VKs work has increased DR. Slight increase to highlights, and a giant leap in the shadows. As to my satisfaction, it is not just with this, but his (and Dwood's) turning the camera into something incredible.

• @mpgxsvcd Nothing about those photos looked inconceivable to have been taken with a camera in this class. And on the video side, a high end camera wouldn't display the level of rolling shutter present in the shot of the train speeding past.

• @Cde

You are right. There is no way they would do that and risk false advertising claims. The commercial is clearly representing that those photos were made with a GH3.

• @peternap

You haven't seen any unedited footage from it yet. If it has vastly "improved DR" like they claim then that would be a nice feature to have.

As far as price goes I don't believe the GH3 will not be more than $1299 for the body only. That is less than half of what the BM camera will cost right?

• I would be shocked if the video samples in that 'cinema' section were from Alexa or Red. We're going to see a Philip Bloom hands on video covering that shoot next week anyway, so it would be an impressive bit of deception for that to have actually been taken with different cameras.

The Nex-7 promo looked like it was shot with professional cinema cameras. This doesn't.

• @Sage

What exactly did VK do to improve DR? Last time I checked he has never done anything to the sensor.

• I skipped a few pages so I may have missed the price but I think it was supposed to be in the $1500-$2000.range. Granted the GH3 looks good but....It's still a consumer camera with a consumer warranty and if I add a tad more money I can get a BM.

I just haven't seen anything earth shaking about it yet.

• Not that I'm saying anything about how promo videos are made and what they are shot with, but I was the actor/camera guy used for Sonys NEX-7 camera promo from last year. I would be VERY VERY VERY surprised if any of this was shot with anything but a red or alexa for video and who knows what they might have used for stills. Just saying. Little surprised as well from the promo itself. I thought the NEX-7 promo was much better but I just might be a little biased here ;)

• @LongJohnSilver Busted! I saw a reflection of the Arri Alexa! I was able to zoom and enhanced the footage.

• There was a time when the shooter used digital cameras that did not have enough DR to look good, ever. The GH2 does. With careful exposure/coloring, it can pass. Not to say they wouldn't like more - to be exact: more resolution, DR, improved color sci, and less skew are all on the list. Though one could take it or leave it. I'm well satisfied with VKs work.

• @kholi

I am with you as well. That is the single biggest drawback of the GH2 and they know it or they wouldn't be advertising the increased DR of the GH3 so much. Let's just hope it is a real increase and not just some poor software trickery.

• @danyyyel

I'm with you, the problem is I don't like the look of the D800 and I don't want to be locked into a Canon mount. That's a nightmare for me. I'd rather be locked into Canon than Nikon. =[ So, although I really... really want great DR, my only other real option for personal ownership was a Magic Cam... oh well.

@Sage

I'm jealous, I wish I could see nine harsh stops as enough. =[

• I'm sure the DR will be fantastic; the DR of the hacked GH2 is already enough to pass.

• @kholi for me it will be a harder sell if the DR is not better. If else it will be external recorder for my D800 and perhaps mosaic filter. I have tested the D800 and the resolution is quite good, just a little lower than the gh2, but good enough for me. along the line for my photography I will have to get a d600 as second body and then I will see. The promotional video is by far the best of all the new camera announcement and very nice DR.

• I'm waiting for the action shots of skateboarders and dirt-bikes.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions