Personal View site logo
'Apocalypse Now' Experimental Series 1 Thread - BOOM, Intravenus - cbrandin/driftwood AN Soft/Cinema
  • 1089 Replies sorted by
  • Has anyone tried any of the ApNo settings with the new 12-35X lens? I have a sneaking suspicion that it just might be a very killer combo. I mean, if ApNo can make the 14-140 look this good, imagine what it could do with the constant f2.8 of the 12-35X.

• @2many

if i come across as being too strong, I apologise, but I think the hack developers here would agree to a certain extent that they have been doing quite alot of needless troubleshooting only because some individuals do not set themselves the right parameters during tests, and then report all kinds of shortcomings (mostly out of ignorance), when the truth is the inaccuracies first began on their test sites. If you have done yr homework, and you still notice aberrations, or abnormalities, then fine, sure, you are fully entitled to share your 2 cents.

I like @Shian's grading of John Brawley's clips taken off the BMC. His posts are nearly always instructive and instructional, and I would think people who share on such forums should aspire to that kind of standard. Of course not all of us are experts, but i think certain basics need to be there, otherwise why waste another reader's time?

Btw, there are tons of rubbish on Vimeo/Youtube. Just because everybody has something to say doesn't mean everyone's worth listening to.

• @peternap I like this comment. Let's keep using this space for productive information... not bickering.

• Did I mistakenly hit the DVuser button.

• @Kazuo

"Think not everyone attaches his ego to the bonnet of his car, or dick measures all the time. It is called integrity. if you are testing an equipment, and putting forth your opinion for public consideration, then make sure you do yourself some respect. It's because of persons like you who love "laid back attitudes", that there is now a proliferation of people who can make a living off writing fake reviews for books etc"

You talk about integrity when everyone uploads his stuff on vimeo/youtube; you see the contradiction there? Your argument "people can make a living off writing bad reviews" doesn't make sense because if people weren't so stupid to actually read/pay them they wouldn't exist in the first place. It is not the reviewers' fault, it's the reader.

It's also pretty immature to start personal attacks towards people who only want to help, contribute to and be part of this community. And if you must make them aware of your perfectionism and highly extended knowledge of cinematography per se, try to do it in a gentle way. Your intention should be to help them get better and not to make yourself feel better by making them feel worse.

• It seems Intra Venus 444 is gonna be the final hack for GH2. GH3 is gonna release next month.

• @driftwood

Just trying to understand your comment that luma detail is lifted or reduced. The encoder is always fed a 4:2:0 signal. However, if I understand this correctly, in the 4:4:4 sharp version you are using the old matrix for luma which encodes more detail along diagonals. In the 4:4:4 soft version you are using the new matrix for luma which encodes equally along straight lines or diagonals.

If this is correct, then is not the 4:4:4 soft a visually correct representation irrespective of the lenses being used ?

If needed, a sharpen filter can always be applied in post if the user views the image as being too soft.

• aftereffects grade test

• speedgrade test

• @mariella I'm not sure if there is anything for the G3 .... :-(

• Sweet people i'm new to this forum, but can you tell me where i can find a '444' setting for my g3 ??

Thanks in advance, Mariella

• Just a little fun edit I made while testing AN

• @mozes Thank you. @driftwood Got to do the test at home, using your proposed patch, with the usual settings and without deblocking. The result of the former, with thin lines (the pattern on the curtains), the same jumps on each I frame. Install again "drewnet v6", the problem disappeared.

• @inframe do you still problems, or run everything now ...?

• @Lambo cheers for the comment.. I clicked on the first page and on .zip files but they just highlight and if I right click it just appears as a Jepg on a new web page. Just above I managed to download the Drewnet Soft Matrix... Ill be back on in the morning to work out this hack download and find the PTools program after some zzzz's

• @inframe you can download it on the first page of the various patches, then you need PTools 3.65 and because you are a mac user (like me) wine / WineBottler so you can start PTools.

• @Shon just put @ in front off the username

• Can someone please help an old video bloke out on how to download the Apocalypse Now GH2 hack.. And the instal procedure for a Mac user.

• I get the itch, I have tests, and Vimeo has been 48 hours huge problems with the upload process ........ aaaaaaaaaahhhhh

• driftwood Thank you :) I'll try tomorrow, we've got already dark outside, I'll try to remove deblocking "ptool" Set as a test record with this patch. Another wanted to know how to insert into your comment name of the person?

• I'm not seeing cubing on my computer...? test2 seems ok (see graphic attached) Whats your whole workflow? Do you copy over private folder, what are you using to playback, what are you using to edit, etc... Not sure about your Transcend card for 60p720 at hi bitrate either as I dont have one to test.

As a safety measure @shon try this edited 720p patch inserted into the DREWnet 12/15 GOP setting. If this doesnt produce 'virtual' results in streamparser (on streameye its ok!) on the same subject it would be good to know.

Click this link to Download harnessed DREWnet Soft Matrix 12/15 GOP setting

Also in ptools uncheck deblocking as mine could be too aggressive for this sort of subject matter on the creative record modes such as 720p/HBR... Need to keep testing.

Whatever, we can fix it, but Im loathe to turn down hi-qual settings without further testing.

shon test 2.png
    1750 x 845 - 509K
  • driftwood,mozes (Error while getting the NALU in file format Annex B, exit ------------------------------ JM-SP 18.2 (FRExt) ----------------------------- Input H.264) This is all due to the fact that I cut a piece of the video program Tsmuxer, its size 250 megabytes, it is hard to spread large files. record on SH, drewnet v7 sharp matrix. I think you need to record a video with fine lines, such as mosquito nets, to make a comparison drewnet v6 and AN drewnet v7, on drewnet v6 grid on "gop" frames can not be met by small cubes, and the v7 will happen.

Managed to record another file, this time without cutting. http://www.onlinedisk.ru/file/936595/ This time version drewnet v7 soft matrix. Recording settings, smooth (+2 sharp, -2 contrast, 0, -2) Record SH, memory card - trancend 10 class 32 gigabytes. If you need to do tomorrow, compared with driftwood v6, but do not know exactly when, the morning should take the child to school.

• @driftwood i did use the file from @shon
    \http://www.onlinedisk.ru/file/936496/
    i didn't have any problem with your new settings.
    I am now working on a integration with my sports10 gop2 720p setting

• @mozes / @shon Looking at it, did you record on SH setting or H setting? You are using DREWnet. Could be the picture is simply too much under SH with this matrix at Q15 on certain settings. I want you to run a test, can you edit ptools and try out Quantiser 16 and initial Quantiser 16 - changing from Q15 to Q16 and reshoot and see if thats ok?

• There is something else wrong, look ad the streamparser picture.
    video elementry stream

Error while getting the NALU in file format Annex B, exit
    ------------------------------ JM-SP 18.2 (FRExt) -----------------------------
    Input H.264 bitstream: C:\Users\mozes\Downloads\00034 (2).264
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    get_annex_b_NALU: no Start Code at the beginning of the NALU, return -1
    00034 (2)_Frames.PNG
    746 x 454 - 143K
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions