Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
'Apocalypse Now' Experimental Series 1 Thread - BOOM, Intravenus - cbrandin/driftwood AN Soft/Cinema
  • 1089 Replies sorted by
  • @Daspenberg - It looks like your suffering from the usual ugly green spike that the GH2 is unfortunately susceptible to. Simply shifting the offset of the images towards a more magenta hue will remedy that in post. In camera, however, you can use the manual white balance and adjust the hue slightly. Try picking up some color charts for shoots.

• got a lot of trubles with nebula 6 shooting in a garden with a lot of leaves and a bit of wind...a lot of artifacts ..shot with 14-140 and a sandisk 64gb 95MB/s also the playback doesn't work, have to turn off and on the camera to watch footage but for the rest i love AN! @driftwood thanks for your great work

• @fomalhaut3 Could you show us some screengrabs of the artifacts you got with Nebula 6 ? In a bit of a testing/comparison phase myself at the moment and would be interested to see. Also was this with Original, Soft, or Sharp2 ?

• @fomalhaut3 And it would be interesting to know your settings like Cinema 24H or HBR and Smooth or whatever...

• @artiswar, thanks for the reply. I think this is one of the main reasons i'll be getting a gh3, hopefully they fixed this. It is easy to fix in post, but that adds another step to the workflow. There's such a big shift between what you see on the viewfinder before and after you hit record that I can never manually set the color balance correctly while shooting. This also adds time while you're shooting, so sometimes I just can't do it. Anyone have any other workarounds?

• The first attempt at something other than bmx or skateboarding. AN drewnet soft

• @daspenberg I wouldn't hold your breath when it comes to accurate colour rendition. You can always just shoot a few seconds to see how its going to look on the viewfinder, then tweak, reshoot and then delete your test shots. As for adding an extra step to the workflow, I think most of us colour correct our footage anyway so its not actually adding a step as removing the green hue gets absorbed in the normal CC steps. If you don't want to do any colour correction work at all and go straight to editing then fair enough, it just means shooting a lot of test footage at different settings/conditions until you know exactly how the camera is going to perform. The GH2 is no different to any other camera really in this regard. The sudden difference when you press record is because the camera monitors in full range and then records in broadcast range. Turn the histogram on and watch how it changes when you press record.

• @Daspenberg I heard someone say the gamma shift doesn't occur if you're using a monitor. I haven't tried it myself, but it may be worth a try. The preproduction units of the GH3 also appear to have the gamma shift, by the way...

• I was amaized by the look of Nebula so I dared to film a wedding with this setting. The image was quite beautiful (creamy, the colors more pleasant), but I miss a little the sharpness. So I did it again. I work alone, I shoot only with one GH2. For this clip it was lumix 14mm. Enjoy the romanian folklore!...

• I shot a fuckin wedding with Nebula 6 and it looks great. I posted a frame a while back.

• NEW!!!

bkmcwd Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO2 Candidate1.1

"TYPE-ZERO1" released previously was not good in other than 24p. And, previous TYPE-ZERO2 "Candidates1-5" are sometimes not good in IQ or stability. Therefore, I further improved C1 and made Candidate1.1. setting. Probably in this C1.1, the finest noise in candidates of TYPE-ZERO2 will be reproduced.

bkmcwd Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO2 Candidate1.1 'Apocalypse Now' with cbrandin 'Pure Original 444 Matrix' and 'Modified 444 Matrix' - Setc.ini - Released 20/09/2012

http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/86970#Comment_86970

While improving, I am going to develop this in my thread so that it may not become the obstacle of Nick. :-)

• How's that intra coming along? :)

• IntraVenus!! :D

• IntraVenus

• @Stray, thanks for the reply. That is pretty much what I do now, but I wish I didn't. The screenshots @Driftwood has been providing seem to be pretty clear of any green hue's, so I was hoping the apocalypse now settings would help. Yes, my workflow too usually includes grading, but I got plenty of jobs that just want the raw footage and don't know much about color grading.
    I've actually never had a hue problem with any other camera.

@mlysbakken, where have you heard that the GH3 still has a gamma shift? That would suck.

• @Daspenberg I believe it was mentioned by PV's own photokina team in the GH3 thread. I also read it in a preview, but I've read so many previews now that I don't remember exactly which one.

• Here's a short test with the Contax Carl Zeiss lenses.

Vimeo discription:

This test was done on the GH2 with the brand new Cluster v7 'Apocalypse Now' '444 Sharp' matrix. I am not a professional colorist, but compared to older footage I've colored like the Canis Majoris series, I saw a huge improvement.

SET-UP: Contax Carl Zeiss 28mm, 50mm, 85mm, 135mm Profile: Smooth -2 all ISO: 160

• Hi guys! I downloaded the AN Boom patch, shot video last night: 24P, manual lens (Samyang 35), 1600ISO, smooth -2,-2,-2,-2. MTS files i can review on-camera, i can open via VLC on the MAC .As i threw them through 5DtoRGB for transcoding to ProRes422 (BT.601, full range, progressive), i get a black file. no image, just the audio. I tried converting then to Prores 444, but same result. I then used Aunsoft Video converter (Prores422) and i see them ok. I also tried coverting them via import on FCPX, and it doesnt even convert. Error message. Any hints? Thabnk a lot to you all. terrific Site here!

• @manda Not sure. If you upload the smallest MTS that gives you that problem, one of us could take a look at it and try to see if anything is unusual.

• Anyone having any playback troubles? Even after turning off/on, most of my clips generate a read error after only half a second of playback.

SanDisk Extreme 64 GB 95MB/s card. Drewnet Soft patch.

• @Jim_Simon , This is what I have been using with Boom..Cheap PNY Pro Elite, Class 10, 32 gig, 35mb/s.... Take a look at Boom, Drewnet is different but equally not a problems with the same card.

• @LPowell Dude, really... Whats the deal with you? I have played with AN for only about 3 hours and I have to say that it's REALLY nice and cinematic. Are you butthurt that people are paying attention and giving AWESOME feedback on the AN series of patches??? Patches that are just going to get better and better! I'm sitting here watching footage I took in my yard and drooling over them. Why do you insist on hijacking this thread for your own glory?

@Driftwood and the rest. Way to go! Keep em coming!

• @LPowell... LOL... Just visited your thread. The fact that you are trying to convince people that FM is the it thing over AN and posting comparisons is quite entertaining! No, scratch that, it shows little to zero class. Even if your patch is superior, I'm gonna stick with AN on the principle that you can't stand others taking attention from you.

@Driftwood... Great work!

• @dustylense

Dusty, baby, what happened? I'm really crushed dude, because just yesterday when we were at dvxuser you were all like... "I always have my Flowmotion 2.2 handy as it's the most stable patch I've ever used. "

I'm sorry, Dusty, but after all that sweet footage I gave you, and then to be confronted here with such an outburst, I just don't know what to believe anymore. I mean, the very thought of you drooling over that... that hack...

• Lol, this morning i was really in a tabloid or soap opera mood, instead i made my luck here :) these issues have long been settled dusty or at least been forgotten, no need to dig up old stuff :) Please stay on topic only, i think we will need the space for great things to come, i have an intra venus itching all over :)

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions