Personal View site logo
Official G3 hack development topic
  • 191 Replies sorted by
  • Does panasonic g3 have real time hdmi out function like gh2?

• so what the other panasonic camera can do "live view via external" like gh2?

• My patched G3 still records underexposed video in my dimly lit apartment, even if I turn exposure compensation all the way up. And yes, I checked the "maximum iso limit removal" box in ptool.

• @datek

Iso limit will start work only after we'll make manual modes, as auto modes can't use this.

• I don't want to sound impatient or rude, just want to ask if there's any progress in making manual video controls on G3? It's quite silence since GH3 was announced :)

• @JOFO

Do you want us to dance or what? We are working on it.

• As I said, I didn't mean to sound rude. I don't pushing you or anything.. Just asked if there's any progress, because I'm curious.. No need to defense, I don't mean it that way, Vitaliy. I'm sorry if it sounds to you like that :(

• Hi everyone,

for now which is the stablest patch? botha's or driftwood's? One question, can I use the patchs for GH2 on my G3??? I am using the one driftwood made and I am getting some horizontal artifact, anyone else with the same problem? In fact I think it is a problem of my computer, I dont have a GPU so the processing of this kind of data is very bad....

Regards

• @luisnando

It is wrong topic for question.

• I don`t really know if this is the right place to put my settings, but since others have done the same, here it go. Guys, I managed to fix the writing error you were talking about messing with the buffer size. Actually I put 170M bitrate and the small shootings I made really passed through with no errors! Since I am a noob on all those settings, I would like to ask someone to analyze the data and see if I really got it. Annexed goes my patch.

I based my settings over Driftwood cluster v6 settings.

setb.ini
  • luisnando,Explain the logic here these parameters. Why is the average value is not included in the scope of the upper and lower limits? Video Bitrate FSH/SH=170000000 1080i Top Setting=56791 1080i Bottom Setting=52953

• @51sergei

Use PM pm for this question.

• Hi.

Will you release a second hack with manual controls anytime soon? I haven't read about any progress so far...

• @camcorderman3000. They've claimed they will. They also seem to get pretty grumpy when you ask for status updates. It's understandable, I'm sure they get hounded. I'm working on a film, and people bombard me about when it will be done. When it's done! But I gotta say, some kind of status update would be cool. Cuz I really love this camera. I didn't know about the autoexposure-only video shooting when I Bought it. I decided to keep it anyway, because the camera is really charming and the pics are very nice.

• Will you release a second hack with manual controls anytime soon? I haven't read about any progress so far...

I'll make status update in March, do not worry.

• @zaxtervid: I know what you mean, that's exactly my storry :) Didn't notice that it's auto only camera. But everything about photo is simply outstanding regarding its price. I have G1 before and even G3 hasn't manual video, it's a gian leap from G1 which was pretty impressive when it hit market. Vitaliy's hack made G3 even better and if he could bring in manual video comtrols it will be superior camera in this price range :) For us, videographers beginners, it's great piece of hardware :)

• @JOFO Yeah. I plan to try the other hack once the manual issue hack is complete. I am actually on the pro-level, videography-wise. I own a Panasonic AG-AF100 and do work for big corporations. What amazed me was that I could shoot with the G3, even with auto-exposure, and get an image which cuts together nicely with the AG-AF100. And of course, the lenses all match, etc. It's a really fun camera, the G3, and I find it's small enough that I actually have it with me very often.

• Yes, it's a great backup camera then. I'm not yet on the pro-level as it's just my hobby atm. I have also handycam HDC-TM700 for video. I do small concerts and other cultural events in my neighborhood, sometimes a wedding. I was pretty impressed with quality of patched G3 footage. Just this auto-exposure is the show stopper for me. I realy got into all that manual thing with photography and my results are way better than photos of one "pro" here. There we see that skill is making a pro, not the expensive hardware :)

• G3 is wonderful for the price; you can save funds for great lenses. Manual control will make it much better. In case anyone is unaware, you do have some partial manual control by using Exposure Compensation (+/- 3EV in video) and "Backgound blur" (which adjusts aperture to change depth of field).

• Yes that's true. Also you can lock shutter speed to 25/30/50/60/100/120 with flicker removal option. But each is hard to set instantly within shooting. And it's also very limmited. Personaly I want to be able to set shutter speed in full range (1/25 to 1/4000) to get better exposure in various light conditions. Also priority mode would be great to have. For example to lock aperture and shutter before shooting. It's not convinient to set aperture instantly within shooting with bg blur feature. It's annoying when camera changes aperture when shooting and picture is flickering because of aperture. It's hard to shoot e.g. concert because the camera is setting aperture everytime subject or camera moves.

• @quickfound Wow, you're totally right, I didn't realize this. @JOFO, yes that locks the shutter....That got me wondering...

I took a lens adaptor ring I got from B&H and put an old-style Nikon lens on it. Total manual control. You have to turn on the "shoot without lens" option in the Custom Menu. Just testing it now. Seems to work, though I'm sure those aperture readings are not true.

Interesting! I think the "shoot without lens" option may also be a key to turning off the auto-exposure. Nice stop-gap stuff before the hack comes out.

• Yea, if you have full manual lens you can shot that way. But unfortunately I have only m4/3 Pana/Leica lenses so I must wait :)

• @JOFO Some reportedly good lenses, like the Konica Hexanon 40mm f1.8, are very affordable (as low as $40) at ebay.

Here is a Pentax-M 50mm f1.4 SMC Takumar ($95) on my G3 running through the apertures with the earliest @pvdog hack posted here. I got 32mbps average (with camera settings at normal except for expressive color turned on):