Personal View site logo
SANITY 4 and 5.1
  • 1139 Replies sorted by
  • omg i install sanity on my gh2 and the onboard mic started working hasnt worked for sometime now

• just making sure 24h is the best shooting mode for video i know hbr people have said it makes a strob effect

• ok i hear you peternap enough said im using sanity everyone seems to like it

• @Shawnthefilmguy The best is a difficult classification. That's like asking who the best athlete is.

Each setting is better at some things than others. Sanity 5 is very good at everything but it is BEST at being a reliable, long running, excellent IQ setting. It's good at low light but not as good (IMO) as CM Night.....but CM Night is a high maintenance lady and will let you down if not careful.

If I'm doing something that can't be reshot, I use Sanity.

• im hearing sanity 5 more then any releace is it the best patch i know the drewnetwork v6 came out and i know drew from youtube so i dont know if i should try sanaity or what really

• The 5-10 settings mean that I experimented with five to ten different export settings from Premiere. Still wondering what other Sanity users are exporting.

• @larrystick I am new to premier too, wondering what is "5-10 setting"? I used Sanity and has no problems what so ever. The GH2 just record as long as I want with SD class 10 card ( any brand would do it ;-) ). When is time for exporting media, either for dvd or blu ray, you tube.. I haven't seen any problems.

• @subco Is there any possibility that you would consider sharing that modified ini you work with ? I ask you this because I'm also, at least 'till now, disappointed with the quality that I'm getting with my GF2+14mm+KingstonClass10+SanityV5 combination (I've tried unwrapping 1080 with ClipWrap and RGBto5D and I simply don´t get the results that other people are talking about).

Thanks

• Ralph and gang, I'm a documentarian and have replaced my trusty Sony Z1 with the GH2. I've had it about a month, and have been moving through the learning curve slowly. I've come to Sanity 5 for the stability, overall versatility, and compact file sizes.

I've been building my kit and started making tests this past weekend. I thought I'd share the results and hope to learn more through your comments.

I'm also new to Adobe Premiere, having done my previous work with FCP7. I'm experimenting with Premiere also, so I have many questions, but I'll save all of them but one:

• For my Sanity 5 MTS files in this example I've imported native files directly to Premiere for editing. I then tried 5-10 export settings and was disappointed in the quality in most. This example used the Vimeo HD 1080p 23.975 setting.

• What export settings to other Sanity 5 users recommend for files?

Sanity 5 Test - GH2 - 1080p, 50 Shutter, ISO160 from James Waldron Design on Vimeo.

• @subco

Totally understood. Of course, modifying non-AVC settings is fine.

• Regarding modifying patches, I would add, what's hidden from the end user is the endless hours of testing that goes into these things. Testing not only for image quality, but also for stability. And in Sanity's case, doing all this for all shootings modes - 24P, HBR, 1080i, 720P, ETC, NTSC & PAL - arg! My head spins just thinking about it.

• I just load them These settings were painstakingly developed and tested by people that get a lot deeper into the belly of the beast, than I do.

In most cases changes cause problems elsewhere so I don't make them. There isn't a lot to do that will improve Sanity 5. It's name says it all and when I have a long recording to do, it's the one I load.

• On the other hand, i figure the settings authors know a lot more about what they are doing than i do, so i just load them in as is. I've tried creating my own settings before, and ensuring reliability was a LOT of work - so much so that I never got any reliable settings that made much positive difference in image quality compared to stock. Especially since most of the work has progressed beyond basic bitrate based things and into other realms of h.264 that are beyond me, I'm happy to just load in Sanity and be done with it, and then get out and shoot video.

On another topic, As a warning to other users: I ran into a problem recently (probably not Sanity's fault) with one set of bright, detailed clips shot with Sanity 5 in 24H 80% ExTele mode where FCPX would hang part-way through when it tried to import some of them. Those that it did successfully import had visual errors (ie blocky regions that failed to update to the new image when there was significant motion) when played in both FCPX and Quicktime Player.

I ended up successfully importing them by re-wrapping the .MTS files to quicktime movies by opening them in quicktime 7 with the Panasonic AVCAM importer quicktime component installed and then saving that as a quicktime movie for each .MTS file. This method seems to always work for re-wrapping, and unlike ffmpeg-based soloutions, plays properly in FCPX. Would have been a tedious job, except that i dug up an applescript i wrote a while back to automate that process :)

So warning - FCPX sometimes can mess up importing footage from Sanity settings - always check your footage if using FCPX to import. Have to test more to see what caused it this time, as usually FCPX imports stuff shot with sanity just fine.

• when you guys are using these patches do you just load up the setting from the patch and dont touch anything or do you guys always mess with the setting in ptools. and just leave the default patch you download as is? i hope that sounds right im still getting use to the terms

• I agree whole heartily, again and again i find myself coming back to Sanity 4. And now, have started testing Sanity 5 which Im very happy with the results. Having several Pro cards, but also being able to use my backup Transcend 32G cards without worry is wonderful to have when your working on a job. Awesome work! And ill probably be sticking with Sanity 5 as my "stock" patch for most jobs!

• @Ralph_B Thank you, for all of your hard work and time. Even if you find you have reached near perfection with this patch still stop in once in a while to let us know how your'e doing. Thank you, now it's time to shoot!

• @FilmingArt

Sanity 5 has something none of the other hacks have - quality AND effieciency. Other hacks will give you quality, but at the expense of extremely high bitrates. This translates into higher priced SD cards (and more of them) and more hard drives to hold those huge files. SANITY 5 will give you absolutely top quality at bitrates not more than twice stock. And it will do it in all shooting modes (not just 24P) and with 100% reliability. Ordinary Class 10 SD cards work just fine.

As for further development, Sanity 5 has reached what I dare say, is perfection. I say this because I compare it to an absolute standard of reference: the uncompressed HDMI capture. And I project these onto a 10 foot screen. Now, there is a difference, but that difference is so slight as to be of no meaningful significance. In other words, Sanity 5 rocks!

There's really nothing more to do except go out and shoot.

• @Ralph_B

Quick question, what if any is the main difference between your hack and the others? Also if you could improve on anything, what would it be?

It seems like the other Developers using their hacks are constantly trying new things and fixing things. In your opinion is this the best of your version of the hack? Thank you for all of your hard work, I just really want to use a great patch and just work on my productions

thanks!

• @ralph_b - what is the bit rate difference between 24L and 24P? Are there comparison videos?

• Yes, 24L will span fine with a 30mbps Class 10 card. You can use Panasonic lenses or manual lenses.

What makes one clip playback in-camera and another not? It's a mystery.

• @ralph_b - yeah i've seen that quote before. So, I could expect with a 30mbps Class 10 to be able to span with 24L...and possibly get playback in camera? (what makes it play or not?)

• @8pct_milk

Quote from Sanity 5 patch notes:

"Spanning works with 24L, FH, SH & H modes. When spanning, do not go above iso 5000 and do not use ETC. Spanning works in HBR mode with third party manual lenses. Do not go above ISO 3200. Spanning does not work reliably in HBR mode when using Panasonic lenses."

The above was tested when using Sandisk 16GB HD Video 30Mbp/s Class 10 cards. Some people have reported successful spanning in 24H when using faster Sandisk cards. The difference in picture quality bewteen 24H and 24L is very slight, and you'd be very hard pressed to see the difference. Bottom line: 24L in Sanity 5 is a very high quality picture and I've used it for paying gigs (and the client hired me back for more).

As for in-camera playback, most times it works, but sometimes it doesn't.

• So... I need spanning and to film in 24p. IIRC only certain kinds of 24p will span. What is the bit rate of 24L vs 24H? What is required for spanning for 24L?

Is in camera playback available for any filming mode of Sanity 5.1?

• I agree - i shoot mostly performances i'm involved in where spanning, reliability and getting 2 hours on a 32GB card are of utmost importance --- and Sanity 5 has been doing that without a hitch AND getting great quality video for me for the last 3 months or so. I haven't loaded any other hack for quite a while. It's awesome. Thanks Ralph! (and of course Vitaliy too!)

• @FilmingArt

Thanks for the report. Sanity 5 is truly something special. The quality continues to amaze me. Today I shot an entire project in ETC mode and Sanity cruised through flawlessly.