Personal View site logo
Driftwood Settings, Series 5: Cluster v6 ULTRA RELIABLE, Mysteron, Crossfire, Quantum 9B, Sedna...
  • 1029 Replies sorted by
  • @strancali

I'm not sure why the encode has a hiccup a second in, but the mts plays fine in PPro5.5 And, yeah, I need to change it to Crossfire Skin tone in the title.

• @rockroadpix this is freaken awesome! What was this setup again?

• funny wedding with Orion Dark Matter first time installed. 5DmkII outdoor, GH2 indoor

• @act - Nice footage - so glad I wasn't part of it though! :)

• @act , wonderful video, great wedding ...

• @MartinD and @Driftwood, thanks for the version ci. info... I feel so archaic :P

• can't remember the setting I used. It might have been Quantum 9b.

• @strancali Cross Fire Skin Tone Smooth -1,-1,-2,-1 ISO- 200 Zeiss 50mm ZF

& thanks!

• Shot with SMBUv2. The bride wanted dubstep, so here's what happened:

• @jirab - fun edit! The girl is stunning. Disliked the fast multicolor tints, but loved everything else in your video!

• @concious What profile did you shoot with ? (smooth, standard etc...)

• I just want to say that I spent a lot of money on a Sandisk 95mbps SDXC 64gb just to be able to use Sedna AQ1... and IT TOTALLY WORTH IT. Sedna AQ1 is the best you can get on GH2 as far as I can see. I've tried lots of GOP3, 6 and 12-15 before, but Intra is everything... Thanks Nick for these awesome settings and I hope I can share some vids here soon.

• @Flaaandeeers - are you saying you did side-to-side tests of Sedna AQ1 vs, say, Cluster v4 12/15 GOP? Any footage or stills showing the results? Thanks!

• @mo7ies I'll save you the suspense: Cluster v4 is a good long GOP setting but it does not improve the issues we were discussing earlier. Sedna AQ1 A will do noticeably better in areas like the detail and update frequency of the low contrast shadow areas, etc.

I have not tested the newest versions of Cluster against Sedna - but I did do so with earlier versions and I looked for differences in the way the newer versions handled things vs. the old ones. The settings are quite good but if we are talking about 24H, they have not managed to magically offer the advantages of GOP1 settings in a long GOP package. :)

• It would appear that, to surpass the more efficient Long GOP (Cluster) in image quality, Sedna should have at least 4x higher bitrate, at about 160Mb/s or higher. Do you know if, in fact, Sedna affords such high bitrate?

• @mo7ies Sedna was modified by @obscura and @rajamalik to meet and exceed that bitrate ( I seem to remember 168mbps was the preferred one out of the group) but the general consensus was that original bitrate of 148 or 149 mpbs (going from memory) was typically sufficient and was more stable.

Whenever I am using a sufficiently fast memory card and do not know what I will be shooting, Sedna is my default choice for high quality footage. When I need to emphasize lowlight on the shoot, I go CM Night. When I neeed longer record times or use slower cards, it varies through an array of settings that includes Cluster, Sanity, etc.

I have one music video that was shot almost entirely in 300% mode in Cake and Cluster.

• @thepalalias I remember seeing in one of the posts that using CM Night for day is absolutely fine if you know how to set it. Do you have any tips for getting good results with CM night during the day?

• @andyvia1968 - Let us know when you get it all fixed.

• @pinger007 thank you very much! to be honest, I have no idea. But it was maybe around 5 or something 'cause everything is more or less in focus except the very close rocks.

• @thepalalias try the new quantum v9b Sedna mtx. if you could do a head to head comparison between sedna A aq1 and new quantum v9b Sedna mtx AQ4 it will be very useful for users who seek details in their shot. I feel new quantum aq4 is better than Sedna aq1.

• I think the new quantum9b updated is a little underrated :) I love it

• I see Quantum 9b Updated - supposedly with Sedna matrix - in the downloads, is that the one you guys are referring to? How stable is it? I need highest quality with detail/motion, yet stable enough not to quit recording or lock up the camera - at least with the 64GB 95MB/s SanDisk card and manual lens...

• I just got my 64GB SDXC 95Mb/s Sandisk card and I'm running Sedna AQ1, I still receive the write speed error i get with my 8GB card. I'm using a Canon FD lens and I'm just shooting general stuff in the house + some trees occasionally (seems to be what makes the error come up.) 1080/24p works fine but 720/60p fails after 10 seconds.

Is there anything I need to do in Ptools to get this working properly? Lower or change a value?

Edit: Update - The B setting seems to work, but the A setting doesn't. Anyway to make the A setting more stable?

• @Hakosuka Even Driftwood admits 720 is a problem area in all settings. Sedna AQ1 is amazing...until you start moving the camera around or the world starts moving around the camera, especially around water.

I have cards with Sedna AQ1, Flow Motion, CM Night and Sanity, that I keep in my bag. I just swap settings (Which I hate doing in the field) as I need.

• @sam that video is excellent. Nice bike too!

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions