Personal View site logo
AN "Valkyrie", GOLGOP3-13, GOP3ZILLA, natural, Freeze-less Reliable All-round GOP3 Settings :-)
  • 1001 Replies sorted by
  • @all what is the difference between this patch and maybe the driftwood patches? i look for a patch for the best possible quality in cinema 24p with filmic motion.

• Hey! I am shooting a short with mostly the 'Natural setting" and one or two shots with the VY canis majoris day setting and I was trying to render the video using sony vegas....IT LOOKS HORRIBLE! Does anyone know what settings to use in order to render the video in the best quality considering I do not have to put it on the internet?

• @leejb4 Also what format are you shooting 24p, HBR, 1080i, 720p ? Does it look horrible before you take your footage into Sony Vegas, and if it does can you post some stills ?

• In Vegas in the media window right click properties; HBR should be changed to progressive as Vegas reads it as interlaced.

• @bkmcwd. I dowloaded the original m2t of "GH2@GOP3ZILLA-MAX_standard 24p Motion Sample" and in VLC it says it is 47.95 frames per second, are you doubling the 23.98 (24p) stream for smoother playback, and what is your workflow if this is the case. Thank you for the amazing quality your bringing to the GH2 in motion.

• @cinemon

"what is the difference between this patch and maybe the driftwood patches?"

In the size and the number of the I frames, it is different. Top priority is given to being the I frame altogether in Intra of Nick. On the other hand, in my 3GOP, while pulling up I frame size to a practical use limit, the number is also increased as much as possible. The best is decided by to what you give priority. Although Intra of Nick demonstrates the super highest performance in the conditions to which it was restricted under lowlight, I think that it is very difficult to use. My settings aim at the Almighty. I think that the settings with which it does not compromise about a motion, either are 3GOP, securing the maximum I frame size. Since Nick is daring to do work far more difficult than mine, I respect him. :-)

• @leejb4

Thanks for using my setting! :-) I would also like to ask you the same questions everybody. And I would like to look at and check the raw sample before edit.

@subco @Stray

Many thanks! :-)

@eyefi

"what is your workflow if this is the case."

When I also checked in VLC, it was displayed as 47.95. However, is this the specification of VLC although I am not detailed about VLC? It is 23.98 fps rightly correctly. :-)

• There is an impression that GH2 is the camera for professionals only. But how the codec behaves in the hands of a man who never owned the video camera before? :)

Got a short untouched sample for you pals. I would call it "the latest GOP3ZILLA-loaded GH2 as a point-and-shoot camera experience". Handheld, automatic exposure (P) and ISO, continuous AF on. In general, all the bad practices together, including hand-held zooming while filming :)

By the way, for this test I had (on my own) merged the recent GOP3ZILLA-MAX_standard (frame limits) and GOP3ZILLA-SednaAQ1C_standard (the rest of) settings, plus I decreased Q to 18. So far I like the results very much. I do not shoot in low light, though.

Shot in Odessa, Ukraine. Very cloudy weather indeed. As always, better download the untouched MTS.

• @kovtun66 8:51AM ...in the hands of a man who never owned the video camera before? :)

.......as long as you dont use it to work for a TV station during the European Football Championship, I dont mind...

• @leejb4, @bkmcwd, I edit in Final Cut using Pro Res Proxy, and export an XML of the edit and open it in Premiere where i switch the Pro Res clips for the original MTS, i then export out of Premiere,(it does better interpreting the MTS), out to Uncompressed 10Bit YUV, from that you can color grade in Davinci Resolve Light with minimal loss, and export again to Uncompressed 10Bit YUV. and that gives me a nice master to output for various formats, using Adobe Media Encoder, for example h.264 @ 20Mbits.

• Hi @bkmcwd !!! For the past 2 weeks I've been using your golgop3 Sedna c. I'm seeing more settings have been released since then..

As @stray mentioned, I'm sometimes experiencing some bad frames at the beginning if the clip. Anyway, the first second almost always gets trimmed.

What would be your settings choice for all around, high detail, lower noise?

Thanks for your awesome work!!!

Yoss...

• @kovtun66

Thanks for using and modifying my settings! :-)

I am calling the setting of Q18 "natural" and I also have the test version combined with SednaAQ1C. "natural" setting is also good for lowlight. Although I think that the frame limit of "MAX version is unnecessary to "Q18" in my opinion, how is it?

@eyefi

Although I do not use Pro Res, thanks for the tip! :-)

@YOSS

Thanks for using my settings! :-)

"What would be your settings choice for all around, high detail, lower noise?"

If choose only one is said, I will choose GOP3ZILLA_standard. However, I am still improving this and am working on HBR and FSH now.

• @bkmcwd: thanks! I'm glad to help :) I think MAX frame limits are for those who, like me, want to be extra confident about codec waver, right? A few times in the real-world footage, not in the charts, I saw ~1100kb I-frames even with Q18, so, probably, the MAX frame size still makes some sense with Q18, and especially with Sedna matrix. Just in order to be VERY confident about the quality level! By the way, I noticed you that you change the 1080p24 GOP Table from {1, 0, 0, 0, 23, 0} on the Sedna version to {1, 0, 0, 0, 38, 0} in natural. Could you please expain what this changing number means and how does it affect the quality? Thanks in advance!

• Just tested with the setting (mentioned in my previous post) with the death chart. Static, then motion. Wow, 1162kb I-frames fully utilized on a static scene! So, combining the MAX version's I-frame size, Sedna AQ1C matrix and Q18 have the sense, I think. And the output quality is very-very good indeed.

00092_Frames.PNG
    746 x 412 - 61K
  • @bkmcwd

Hi mate!

If you want to you can add/modify the following settings to your patches to improve HBR/25p and 720p50 (and most likely also HBR/30p).

The 1080i Scaling Table for P-Frames of course also affects 60i (FSH) and 30p (HBR). I've modified the 60i GOP-Table and I think it should work fine - but I have not yet tested 60i/30p myself!!

The P-Frame Scaling Table is the actual B-Frame Scaling Table of the Stock Matrix. This will make I-Frames a little bit smaller but improves the B-Frame scaling... so that the ratio of I- and B-Frames looks much better (and therefore also motion looks smoother).

I've tested these settings in GOLGOP13 and they work just fine. So I think you can also add them to "Natural" and "GOP3ZILLA" without issues.

As a side-effect also QP values improve a little bit with these settings in HBR/25p mode.*

FSH/HBR settings for Natural, GOP3ZILLA and GOLGOP13 (mainly for PAL modes):

1080i Scaling P=0xC08, 0x120A, 0x120A, 0x2414, 0x180E, 0x2418, 0x3824, 0x3828, 0x3820, 0x3818, 0x4038, 0x526C, 0x4040, 0x6C7F, 0x6C7F, 0x6C7F, 0x905, 0xD0A, 0xD0A, 0x1419, 0x120F, 0x1419, 0x4850, 0x4850, 0x4850, 0x4850, 0x546C, 0x546C, 0x546C, 0x608C, 0x608C, 0x6CB0, 0x905, 0xD0A, 0xD0A, 0x1419, 0x120F, 0x1419, 0x4850, 0x4850, 0x4850, 0x4850, 0x546C, 0x546C, 0x546C, 0x608C, 0x608C, 0x6CB0

1080i60 GOP Table=1, 1, 1, 1, 34, 34 (!!) (not yet tested)

1080i50 GOP Table=1, 1, 1, 1, 25, 25

720p50 Opt1 GOP Table=1, 7, 0, 0, 31, 0

720p50 Opt2 GOP Table=1, 31, 0, 7, 0, 0

50fps FB2=525000

50fps Frame Limit=4200000

1080i Top Setting=73718

1080i Bottom Setting=51601

attached a screenshot from Streamparser... HBR/25p, deathchart (second attachement is the right one):

• edit: attached also JM-SP decoder values GOLGOP13 (on the left) vs. GOLGOP13 modified (on the right)
    GOLGOP13_HBR_Frames.PNG
    746 x 412 - 39K
    GOLGOP13_HBR_Frames.PNG
    746 x 412 - 40K
    golgop_vs_golgopmodified.jpg
    990 x 686 - 256K
  • Hello guys. @towi, have you got an .ini file of your patch, i would like to test it. Gopzilla and golgop are good patch for static HBR 25p, but unfortunatly, motion is not smooth. I'll be very happy to see there setting improved for HBR25p. @+

• here you are...

I think this setting is better if you mainly (or only) shoot 25p: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/63552#Comment_63552

then again, GOLGOP13 is clearly better for 24H ...

GOLGOP13_modified.zip
    826B
  • Silly short shot with some friends. All improv and on the spot.

• Shot with natural, no color correction or color editing, simply cut the scenes and put them together. @all, I figured out how to render / setup project settings in order to get it to look better. I am still a noob!

• @subco haha I am glad you like it. We seriously took a box of props, went to the island and said "lets shoot something original and corny."

• @kovtun66

"I think MAX frame limits are for those who, like me, want to be extra confident about codec waver, right?"

Yes. :-) Of course, although it can stop that a codec wavers by high frame limit, since the wavering degree is low in Q18, I think that priority should be given to a playback in the camera.

"By the way, I noticed you that you change the 1080p24 GOP Table from {1, 0, 0, 0, 23, 0} on the Sedna version to {1, 0, 0, 0, 38, 0} in natural. Could you please expain what this changing number means and how does it affect the quality?"

Although explanation is difficult for this in my English, I am glad if transmitted. I am changing and adjusting the GOP table in order to always use optimal qp. This changes by Q value, the matrix, and frame limit. Each number is the value from which I was obtained about the optimal result. If the 5th number of a GOP table is small, GH2 will strain itself and it will try to use low qp too much. As a result, the level line of the high qp macroblocks qp will appear. However, since always higher qp will be used when a number is too large, the arrangement is important. In "natural", even if it enlarges this number, to some extent low qp can be used. Therefore, in "natural", the higher value is used so that the codec of a very fine scene may not waver by any means.

BTW, has cadence occurred in your StreamParser? It is because this is insufficient of the buffers which the frame limit made high requires. How about changing into [1, 0, 0, 0, 26, 0], for example, supposing you are keeping [1, 0, 0, 0, 23, 0] been? If it does not solve now and will change into further 29? However, it may not solve fundamentally only by this work.

• @towi

Nice work mate. :-) I am also improving HBR and FSH in the approach different from you now.

BTW, Would you teach in detail, although I do not yet understand these?

1080p24 GOPx2=6 1080i60 GOPx2=12 1080i50 GOPx2=12 720p60 GOPx2=12 720p50 GOPx2=12

The wave in right StreamPareser is not from cadence issue. This is with moving Stray's chart. http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/51720#Comment_51720

NEXT_GOP3ZILLA_25p.PNG
    746 x 401 - 171K
    NEXT_GOP2ZILLA_25p_motion.PNG
    746 x 401 - 173K
  • Thanks @towi. I'll try your GOP3 this WE. I know that every GH2 setting are better in 24p...unfortunaly for me... Some patch give a very good IQ even in HBR mode, like SEDNA or GOPZILLA, but they are not stable or have bad motion rendering. It's great you improve Pal setting, bkmcwd too. Thank you guys @+

• @bkmcwd

According to "Balazer" the GH2 does not write single frames but a complete GOP at a time to the card. If true, changing the GOP length x2 values according to the actual GOP may improve spanning and may also improve stabilty. I'm not sure, though!

• @bkmcwd, Thanks for your new settings.

I used GOP3ZILLA-MAX_standard, CINEMA(-2.-2.+1.-2) and the lens was LUMIX G VARIO 100-300mm.

Thanks for your hard work!

画像1_R.jpg
    1600 x 730 - 493K
    画像4_R.jpg
    1600 x 730 - 499K
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions
Start New Topic

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Sign In Register as New User

Tags in Topic

Top Posters