Personal View site logo
GH3 rumors topic
  • 869 Replies sorted by
  • I have Panasonic SD600 camcorder which was on sale at $400 in the US before discontinued. It does have FP. So the question for Pana is not about developing a function from scratch but simply implementing what they already have even in their budget product range.

• @zigizigi

I have SD90, got it very cheap, and it also has blue focus peaking :-) Do not worry, I think GH3 will have something like it.

• Personnaly I don't find that blue FP useful. I would rather have something like Canon XHA1 has - a button to enable massive sharpening on the LCD - that's much more visually helpful for focusing, especially in digital zoom (focus assistant) mode.

• @zigizigi

Such peaking , as I understand, is done usually after deducting oversharpened image from original and doing some filtering :-)

SmallHD has good video comparing different approaches to focus peaking.
    You just need to remember that fopr sharpening like approach to work good you need high resolution screen.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev said "As for peaking, it still can be done properly. Looking at various pro monitors I highly doubt claims about how easy it is to implement."

Au contraire, you'd be amazed at how simple it really is. A long time ago (~2.5 years) I put together a write-up trying to lobby Olympus to put focus peaking on their cameras through the Olympus UK Photo Safari Group. In it's simple Gradient form (which is already very useful) it uses math that was invented by Sir Isaac Newton. Using a Sobel Operator instead gives results that are already better than the Gradient Filter and amazingly useful.

It's a very short document (10 pages, mostly examples).

First order edge detection filters as a live DOF indicator on Digital Cameras.zip
    2M
  • What I think we will get

AVCHD2.0, Weatherproof, Much faster AF, New screen/EVF and iso upto 25,600

What I want but probably wont get

All new flat profile, Peaking, Better colour, 1 stop more DR, Headphone socket and New firmware after a week so VK can hack it :)

• Well, a flat profile in itself wouldn't really be necessary. Only fully customizable profiles.. Or customizable enough. If Olympus can do it, it should not be a problem.

Anyway, if they use a similar firmware build as in the gh2 the gh3 will be the better camera before long.

Clean, fully working hdmi port would be good.

1. loads of DR
    2. 5-axis IS for video with any lens
    3. Adjustable bitrate, encoder and profiles
    4. Amazing low-light capability
    • bigger battery
  • Cool color options. Various and crazy audio FX for shutter actuations.

• How about the massively disruptive feature of genlock and timecode input?? GH3D (as it would certainly be nicknamed) would find an immediate place in minor and major 3D productions. A very small, but, very grateful group of film makers would rejoice and buy... well.... hundreds!!?? Crap.

• @David_Cole

For example they can use remote shutter signal. It could be firmware only thing in this case.
    And make small external cheap sync box .

• I do not have many wishes:

• 1080p50/p60 (on top of the current framerates)
    • More dynamic range
    • Full manual audio levels
    • Headphones jack (will probably never happen)
  • 1080p50/p60

We'll see this with 98% probability.

More dynamic range

Same here.

Headphones jack (will probably never happen)

Why not? Can happen.

Full manual audio levels

You mean AGC checkbox?

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev how much more dynamic range you think we will get if any ..To me, if we can get 11-12 stops and custom picture profiles with what the gh2 offers now that would be great .

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Headphones jack will happen when they finally regard the GH as a video camera. I'm not so sure it will happen with GH3. Maybe GHX, higher end model :-)

Yes turn on/off automatic gain would be great.

• I think that for Panasonic to be taken seriously they need to out perform both the Canon Mk3 and also the Nikon D800 especially with the new 2k / 4k hack in development. If panasonic does this they have a good chance of capturing the dslr market.

• "If panasonic does this they have a good chance of capturing the dslr market."

I dont think M43 GHx have a good chance of capturing dslr market.

The only chance to do it is to "revolutionize" the whole market, like RED or Apple do, creating a new tool never seen before, adding few features not present into other dsrl is not enough...

Making a sensor with 20-25 stops of DR for example for stills should revolutionize photography creativity. 14-18 stops DR on a 4K video mode should revolutionize video creativity

lets dream :-)))

• do you guys really think they'll stretch this far for their consumer cam?? They can still enjoy exellent sales for GH2 for very long time. If i was Panny, i would have realesed GH3 only if i had to, and adding minor stuff..

• true, but unless the GH3 can compete with MKIII and also D800, I can't see them selling any because the GH2 already rocks!

• No one need to "revolutionize" the market.
    It is consumer camera aimed at specific segment.
    I am sure that we'll see very good incremental improvements (screen, EVF, sensor, video formats, etc).

We has many similar words said before GH2 release, and most of them are pointless.

• The gh13 was good before the gh2 came. Unless panny decides they need to rework their entire firmware it won't be long before gh2 users will get their gh3's and so forth... It would take a miracle for it to not sell, just like it would take a miracle for it to get the whole chunk of video dslr market.

The sole reason why panasonic cannot compete with Canikon dslr offers is due to still photography. Those who primarily come from the world of stills photography (to shoot a little video) will more often than not prefer to have a great stills camera and live with reasonable video quality than the other way around.

Another issue is poor compatibility between EF and m43 mounts / contacts.

• Well Canon, Nikon, Panasonicand few others are all holding hands behind closed doors ,while down in the foyer their respective underlings are brawling over market segment / share. I have Gh2 an amazed at what I am learning with it,(bloody novice that I am). Micro 4/3 stuff is very innovative , I think thats where Panasonic is coming from ...develop their own market with a new idea. I don't see them trying to topple the Canon Nikon dominance of DSLrs. I gained a great insight into the market cartels ex Japan in the 80's with respects to photocopy industry.

• I'm not sure why folks keep asking for a higher res LCD/EVF.. The EVF is useless for me (all i see is blurred colors while trying to use it) and the LCD works fine for framing. You can't possibly focus with that little screen, even if it was super-duper high resolution. My vote is for zoomed focus assist on an external HDMI monitor, while the LCD shows the normal picture, all while recording. That would have come in handy many times for me. The operator can use the LCD for framing and the focus puller can use an external monitor with the focus assist feature.

That and get rid of the pulsing blue/red noise at high ISO.

• @svart

The EVF is useless for me (all i see is blurred colors while trying to use it)

“You’re holding it wrong.”

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions