Personal View site logo
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 4: Cluster v2, Mysteron, Sedna, Orion...etc...
  • 1015 Replies sorted by
  • Sorry, I need help fast please. I just installed SEDNA AQ1 who usually works with Sandisk cards 30mbs. It's ok When I read the videos with VLC (beautiful quality) BUT if I Took Them with FCPX, the clips are reduced (10 seconds = 2 or 3 seconds in FCPX!). More strange again, if I try with 5DtoRGB: the clips are jerky and inutilsables.

If someone can tell me ...

THANK YOU VERY MUCH

• Driftwood. I had no idea you were from Brighton!!! My home town! How funny. I live in NY now. How very cool. I wouldn't mind stopping in to Driftwood Productions on my next trip!

• Thanks mate. Burst mode is what I am hungry for. Thanks for pointing me there. I understand it can't hold long record times, despite the outcry. Is a solution to record a cropped mode like 2.20:1 so the camera can keep up with those data rates, as it is recording less pixels. I think people would jump on that. In the meantime, would you say that standard Mysteron is what I would be looking for for my needs? I need long record times. Thanks again. I have donated :0)

• @mclarenf1 When it comes to grading I know for a fact there is more in the highlights and shadows obtained through all the hacks. Its making best use of the bitrate under ever tightening engine limitations. Squeezing every ounce out of this lill' baby. This is what we strive for but if it isnt stable for at least a minute you gonna get a lot of people crying about it. Try VY Canis Majoris or Mysteron Burst. Other than that, start learning to adjust your own settings or stick to stock and be done with it/buy an expensive camera.

• Ok, I am passionate about quality and I have done some fairly extensive testing using the Quantum V9c hack. I shoot Zuiko lenses. I have found that for most stable situations of ample lighting and limited motion, the hack shows virtually no difference at all. I find that the hack really stands up when you throw A LOT of motion at it. Blowing leaves, running water, etc. But it has to be a lot. I have not seen any more detail gathering ability that Philip Bloom alludes to in his comparison to the likes of the C300. In low light, I see that it replaces codec interpretations with fine grain, which looks more natural, most of the time. The stock codec interpretation of a texture in the dark can be good as it holds that detail still and steady. It also has the danger of looking blocky and a little fake. The hack puts grain on everything to give a more "live" interpretation of texture in the dark. This is cool but I want the grain to be finer so that it's "noise movement" is not so apparent. So, having said all of this....(and thank you for reading it) I am looking for a hack that can give me finer grain in the dark to represent textures better and can be graded well. Finer grain. I am also looking for a hack that gives me MAXIMUM detail in good light. Some ridiculous bit rate, heavy i-frame hack that makes the footage really really pop off the screen. I am getting two 64GB Sandisk cards from UPS today so throw me the worst of it. I want to make this hack really sing more than what I am seeing in 9vc or I feel like the leap to fast cards and slightly risky recording is not quite worth it. (don't hate me). I love love the GH2 and I can't stress to some of you enough.......GET GOOD GLASS!!! This cam is worth it and no amount of hack will make that leap for you. I would fight someone to the death over my Zuiko 14-35 and 35-100. TO THE DEATH!! and I never was a glass guy until now. But please, refer to my comments and show me a hack version that can provide those items and I will do a really nice comparison video for ya' all! (I am British, so I don't know why I just did that) :0) Thanks a million!!!

• Canis Majoris 'Skin Tone Soft' setting coming today too. :-)

• @davidhjlindberg so impressive, the grading and offcourse Samyang never fails to impress!

• Just want to share this scene I made in Hollywood a few weeks ago (most of the people had not heard of the GH2 but when I showed the results they were blown out)

I used Orion v4b, 60fps 720p, Nostalgic (-2+1+2-1) and the lens was Samyang 35mm 1.4.

Graded in DaVinci Resolve.

• @johnnym thanks, I built her with my own two hands =P

• @Driftwood, Thank you. I will test the VY Canis Majoris today locally for stability, and if all goes well will head to the big city later this week with it.

@thepalaias Yes both shots are completely untouched and thanks, I really liked the way the boat looked too. It was one of those days where the weather couldn't make up its mind, and the sun was just barely breaking through the clouds at times creating some interesting lighting.

• This thread will be closed shortly. @Vitaliy_Kiselev

• *** NEW **** VY Canis Majoris - see new thread. 'Night' First in the series is released tonight. I have over 7 settings for Canis to try out on people some of which I have been using in shoots in the last few weeks... The first is now out on its own thread.

• @DeShonDixon Yes, but he never said in what time zone. :)

• Isn't Canis Majoris supposed to be released today?

• Playing with Mysterion last week in between meetings at a conference. No color correction and a stock 14-42mm lens.

Eurostars Tower Madrid from Alen Mecan on Vimeo.

• @peternap Glad it helps. I've been trying to find better methods for both testing and illustrating the differences. Each test session teaches a lot more.

Case in point - the big test we did recently here in L.A. taught me a ton about what to look for in the testing and how to better control the testing. However, the # of variables involved means that the final results (for that first test) will be too varied to be a useful comparison - it will end up being more of a showcase.

However, the people that participated have all volunteered various resources to help with the next round - one which I plan to also use the upcoming Driftwood releases in as well!

• @thepalalias That's pretty convincing evidence, thanks!

• @mee Nice boat.

• @mee The shots are ungraded, right? Either way, the light in the boat shot is very rich and it makes me wish I were the to see it, too. :)

Also, hope you get some good sleep - my intent was not to make you second-guess yourself, just to address the difficulty telling at the original magnification that you mentioned.

• @thepalalias you got me thinking twice now, but until I get some sleep I am done looking at super zoomed grain ;)

In the mean time, since I mentioned I only shot with Mysteron one day, here are a couple shots from that day. On the first video please excuse the less than perfect horizon. It was starting to rain so it was rushed to protect the camera. The second shot was from a boat, but it was parked in calm water. Unfortunately I forgot Vimeo's one HD a week policy for basic users, so I will have to wait a bit to upload the HD version for the second video..

Shot using Mysteron on GH2 with 14-42 kit lens at 720p 60fps (vimeo reduces the frame rate to 30fps).

• @jrd Good thoughts. I added a 400% crop in addition to the 200% one in order to make the differences even more visible. It comes at the end of the video now.

Password is still Driftwood1

http://vimeo.com/perlichtman/sednaaq1vsstock-mysterytest

(I changed the link format this time to avoid a second embed of the same file on the same page).

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions