Personal View site logo
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 4: Cluster v2, Mysteron, Sedna, Orion...etc...
  • 1015 Replies sorted by
  • @Driftwood, Thank you. I will test the VY Canis Majoris today locally for stability, and if all goes well will head to the big city later this week with it.

@thepalaias Yes both shots are completely untouched and thanks, I really liked the way the boat looked too. It was one of those days where the weather couldn't make up its mind, and the sun was just barely breaking through the clouds at times creating some interesting lighting.

• @johnnym thanks, I built her with my own two hands =P

• Just want to share this scene I made in Hollywood a few weeks ago (most of the people had not heard of the GH2 but when I showed the results they were blown out)

I used Orion v4b, 60fps 720p, Nostalgic (-2+1+2-1) and the lens was Samyang 35mm 1.4.

Graded in DaVinci Resolve.

• @davidhjlindberg so impressive, the grading and offcourse Samyang never fails to impress!

• Canis Majoris 'Skin Tone Soft' setting coming today too. :-)

• Ok, I am passionate about quality and I have done some fairly extensive testing using the Quantum V9c hack. I shoot Zuiko lenses. I have found that for most stable situations of ample lighting and limited motion, the hack shows virtually no difference at all. I find that the hack really stands up when you throw A LOT of motion at it. Blowing leaves, running water, etc. But it has to be a lot. I have not seen any more detail gathering ability that Philip Bloom alludes to in his comparison to the likes of the C300. In low light, I see that it replaces codec interpretations with fine grain, which looks more natural, most of the time. The stock codec interpretation of a texture in the dark can be good as it holds that detail still and steady. It also has the danger of looking blocky and a little fake. The hack puts grain on everything to give a more "live" interpretation of texture in the dark. This is cool but I want the grain to be finer so that it's "noise movement" is not so apparent. So, having said all of this....(and thank you for reading it) I am looking for a hack that can give me finer grain in the dark to represent textures better and can be graded well. Finer grain. I am also looking for a hack that gives me MAXIMUM detail in good light. Some ridiculous bit rate, heavy i-frame hack that makes the footage really really pop off the screen. I am getting two 64GB Sandisk cards from UPS today so throw me the worst of it. I want to make this hack really sing more than what I am seeing in 9vc or I feel like the leap to fast cards and slightly risky recording is not quite worth it. (don't hate me). I love love the GH2 and I can't stress to some of you enough.......GET GOOD GLASS!!! This cam is worth it and no amount of hack will make that leap for you. I would fight someone to the death over my Zuiko 14-35 and 35-100. TO THE DEATH!! and I never was a glass guy until now. But please, refer to my comments and show me a hack version that can provide those items and I will do a really nice comparison video for ya' all! (I am British, so I don't know why I just did that) :0) Thanks a million!!!

• @mclarenf1 When it comes to grading I know for a fact there is more in the highlights and shadows obtained through all the hacks. Its making best use of the bitrate under ever tightening engine limitations. Squeezing every ounce out of this lill' baby. This is what we strive for but if it isnt stable for at least a minute you gonna get a lot of people crying about it. Try VY Canis Majoris or Mysteron Burst. Other than that, start learning to adjust your own settings or stick to stock and be done with it/buy an expensive camera.

• Thanks mate. Burst mode is what I am hungry for. Thanks for pointing me there. I understand it can't hold long record times, despite the outcry. Is a solution to record a cropped mode like 2.20:1 so the camera can keep up with those data rates, as it is recording less pixels. I think people would jump on that. In the meantime, would you say that standard Mysteron is what I would be looking for for my needs? I need long record times. Thanks again. I have donated :0)

• Driftwood. I had no idea you were from Brighton!!! My home town! How funny. I live in NY now. How very cool. I wouldn't mind stopping in to Driftwood Productions on my next trip!

• Sorry, I need help fast please. I just installed SEDNA AQ1 who usually works with Sandisk cards 30mbs. It's ok When I read the videos with VLC (beautiful quality) BUT if I Took Them with FCPX, the clips are reduced (10 seconds = 2 or 3 seconds in FCPX!). More strange again, if I try with 5DtoRGB: the clips are jerky and inutilsables.

If someone can tell me ...

THANK YOU VERY MUCH

• Panasonic Lumix GH2 - DriftWood 176mbps patch

• Here's a video we shot in about thirty minutes and edited together in about the same amount of time. Forgive the roughness, lack of continuity, and slightly too loud volume.

It was done using the Quantum Orion 4vB. It's somewhat compressed and has no color correction.

• Hey guys... here's some .mts raw screen grabs from a music video I was working on. All shot with Sedna AAQ1 and Smooth -2,-2,-2,-2. All was shot 1080/24p except for the underwater shot. The underwater is going to be reshot since it was slightly out of focus. If you have any questions, ask away.

Rudy MS.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Travis MS.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Travis CU.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    underwater 720p.png
    1280 x 720 - 861K
    Travis ECU.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    Band Wide.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
  • @Grrek_m43

Love the shots. Wonderful skin tones! What shutter did you shoot with? 1/40th? 1/50th? What lens were you using for the face CU and the eye ECU? Finally, what setup did you use for the underwater shot?

Thanks.

• @pinger007 Thanks! I shot 1/50th shutter for the 1080/24 and 1/125th for the 720 slo-mo. The face CU I used a Canon FD 50mm f/1.4 and the Eye ECU I used the SLR Magic 12mm in Ex. Tele mode. I shot underwater with the DiCAPac WP-H10 and my lens was the 20mm pancake.

• Great info!

Thanks.

• This is an episode of a series I shoot in Japan called "KEVIN CROCKER IN JAPAN" I used Driftwood's Sedna Q20 settings. Enjoy!

• I put up pictures of comparisons of Sedna AQ1A & C, Mysteron, Mysteron Burst and a few others with the Canis Majoris versions released so far. http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/59978#Comment_59978

• I have just finished a music video using the GH2 with Dark Matter V3. The hack worked like a charm, as always!

• @APX that was crazy entertainment yo.

• @Bueller You should post a frame from one of the clips we shot with Mookie. :)

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions