Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 4: Cluster v2, Mysteron, Sedna, Orion...etc...
  • 1015 Replies sorted by
  • here's an example; a part of a frame (@100%), shot with orion v4b and If I recall correctly I used smooth or normal (dialled down). Obviously, it was a semi-controlled environment, and not the most difficult situation (although we had too little time to use anything but pre-set lights) but we managed to get the flat overall light we wanted for the shoot and in this particular shot you can see that even the darkest parts are not really black. Perfect to pull down; but it is also possible to push the colors quite a bit.

I also include a couple of quick grades in PS, first a quick curves adjustment and a 30 or so saturation added. Second a 100 "vibrant" + secondary curves adjustment. Obviously this has nothing to do with the intention of the first shot but is to display that color information from a flat image can be pushed quite far, easily (remember this is done very quickly, on a compressed screen grab).

By shooting this way I have better control of the noise that always is there in the lower part of the level range, regardless of profile and regardless of ISO (within 160-1600 range). I can retract or enhance detail.

screengrab.jpg
    1028 x 415 - 106K
    pushvibrant.jpg
    1028 x 415 - 142K
    pushfurther.jpg
    1028 x 415 - 150K
  • @onionbrain

I use -2,-2,-1,-2. Saturation at -1 seems to be the "sweet spot." -2 on saturation and it looks exactly like an HVX200 (a camera that records 4:2:2 color). 0 on saturation is a bit heavy handed.

Thanks! I'm using Driftwood Orion(4b), would you recommend Vibrant too?

• I shot something last night to test the orion 4b hack. my footage turned out to hav a lot of noise in the backs. I know its a youtube link, so shitty encoding but can anyone hazard a guess as to why its so noisy because it was all shot at ISO 160 (except for the cloud bit)

• not sure if the link posted here the link again

• SHIT!

I was ready to test ORION V4B et SEDNA AQ1, I just receive new Sandisk. BUT, I just ordered them : Sandisk 30mbs HD 32go and I received 45mbs SDHC UHS-I 32go and OF COURSE it's doesn't work!!!!!

WHY????? HELP. THANKS.

• @@konjow They are not public. A $50.00 membership fee is required. I don't know if the purchase of his product entitles one to view them or if there is another fee involved.

• @konjow @peternap

$50.00 gets you the GHears and the Tutorials. If you have AE in your workflow, then it is the best $50.00 you will spend. @shian not only provides great flexible presets, but also a wealth of knowledge, experience and understanding - and he's not afraid to share it.

• @itimjim this is probably OT so I'll drop it. I happen to agree with Onionbrain in that you need to learn the basics first, but I'm also always willing to look at another tool for the challenged.

• In unrelated news... Sedna A AQ1 for a home performance:

I still had Quantum 100 of the original firmware on my B cam (the closer-up shot) so I thought it might be interesting (although not an intentional or proper fidelity comparison) to see them together. I just liked Quantum 100 so much (and it's so reliable) I haven't taken it off my B camera.

• @obscura ya ya ,.. but i use only sedna AAQ1,. i dont know why i like sedna AAQ1 so much,.. it has maximum details plus it is so responsive in post production,.. even mysteron is almost the same,..only it is below sedna AAQ1 in details, i prefer maximum details and sharpness so i am off from mysteron. but as for as i know mysteron is good for motion because it only does iframes, not like sedna which does other frames too...another point is that mysteron burst is more sharper and detailed than sedna AAQ1. but it isnt so stable,..its was stable only for a few shots when i tested. if u r using sedna use -2 standard or -2 smooth which is recommended by @thepalalias

• well it's sure that in stills world ETTR(exposing to the right) is very effective...a good article here http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/expose-right.shtml
    and http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/optimizing_exposure.shtml

but there we have raw.... so i don't know if this approach is good for video world and specific to us GH2 users.. Maybe the experts here in editing ,should enlighten us.. Is it better to overexpose in the shot and lower exposure in post or the opposite?

• is mysteron the new orion 4vb?

• i would like to clarify this... for my experience what i understand is that when shooting film you can tend to underexpose as it is easier to pull more detail later for example leaving film more time on revealing process with quimics. And the opposite for video recording where its better to overexpose cuz more detail its kept on highlights than on blacks which loses total info after a point. or was it the other way around, im not sure?

• @sebasp1 I'd say you were right. There's greater tonality and information in the highlights, hence why a lot of digital photographers, expose to the right (ETTR).

Film negative was always good at pulling details out of shadows, positive film much less so.

Our digital sensors are linear, so there are more levels where there is more light. Therefore for maximum details and tonality, ideally you'd want the histogram to be weighted toward the right, but without blowing the highlights.

In practice it's quite difficult, especially outdoors, as there'll always be some highlights you will be protecting. The only way to maximise your tonality, is by lighting and blocking appropriately to give a range that fits nicely within the sensor - and the ETTR.

• @onionbrain Sorry I forgot to mention that I was talking about the 5D post grade. Meaning, I'm well aware of what Technicolor does to the image and how to compensate in grading. I was just finding after grading that the GH2 just has way more color info (which I can take away, if desired). But I know that color information is the first thing to go, when pushing a grade (especially an underexposed area). So the GH2 with vibrant helps the post process, with all the extra color info.

@RRRR thanks for the comparisons. I think your workflow makes sense, and it's more like the Technicolor workflow (with which I've had great results). But I'm starting to see some perks to working with more color info, see above. I believe the small amount of noise control and DR that you may get with Smooth is not enough to choose it over Vibrant. I'm still doing some tests, but I'm certainly impressed with Vibrant.

• @modernhuman Sorry if I keep bringing this up, but I find that Smooth has the best highlight roll-off and doesn't clip RGB unevenly like the other modes. What's your take on Vibrant concerning this aspect?

• @oscillian that is definitely true. But in real world testing, Vibrant's minor cons are far outweighed by the pros. Also, you're not factoring in Smooth's (Standard too) strange hue shifts. Shoot a scene with a lot of green and some natural red. You'll see that green and red shift yellow. Which, in my book, is not good.

With that, if you're not grading or only doing minor corrections, then shoot with what looks best coming out of the camera.

Also, gather information, do you own testing, follow the aesthetic that you like and forget the rest :)

• @onionbrain Nah, we're cool. Just keep doin' what you're doin', chief. It seems to be working for ya.

• Curious if Cluster v2 is close? Shooting tomorrow so if not I'll just load v1 now

• @sid no mysteron is not orion v4b,..

• @Jhero Driftwood gave no assurances that the patch would be ready in time for testing on Sunday. So I would say tomorrow is (while not at all impossible) rather unlikely.

• Alright 5DtoRGB doubters... haha ;) Here's a good example of some stuff I just shot with Sedna max detail and converted to Prores422HQ. I'll post this in the other thread also, but I know there were some curious people here that might now know about the official thread yet...

Native footage:

5DtoRGB:

Premire:

So yea, 5DtoRGB takes the longest... but it's definitely worth it, IMO. This should also confirm that the chroma reconstruction is real... and not just marketing. It really is happening.

Native.jpg
    531 x 316 - 179K
    5DtoRGB.jpg
    460 x 305 - 131K
    Premire.jpg
    529 x 307 - 187K
  • @bwhitz thanks for the test. I'm one of those that likes what 5d2rgb does, but recently experienced posters have got me thinking.

Could I just ask you how you did your tests, as there's a bigger difference than I thought existed. It almosts looks like the premiere version was set to half preview.

• Thanks @thepalalias I actually think I'll role with pictoris c

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions