Personal View site logo
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 4: Cluster v2, Mysteron, Sedna, Orion...etc...
  • 1015 Replies sorted by
  • @thepalalias

"but I will say that (in general) Sedna is not smoother than Stock (sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't), but it is consistently more detailed."

That was my observation; the noise is finer and smoother on the less detailed clip. If I'm right, this may not be such bad news: the hack noise may be cruder, but it may also look more like film grain(?), though at this scale, it's hard to tell.

• @sir_danish Personally, I am happiest with either smooth or standard for skin tones (when I first got it, I was happy with cinema but the yellow tinge to the highlights really started to frustrate me quickly), so I think you are on the right track.

• @thepalalias: Sorry for being unclear, I mean how to shoot in the future. I was just testing today, as there will be a "real" shooting by the end of this week. I thought, I should give dynamic a try, hoping that the skin tones could make me a lucky man. But I didn´t expect so many different colors in just one face. Yellow, purple, red, a bit of green... I switched back to smooth and everything (mainly the indoor shots) looked much better to my eyes.

• @thepalalias - very useful. thx all.

• @exilenorth - thx, I'm sure I'll find my settings soon. @mee - I think you called it! Cheers.

• @mee I won't give answers until later tonight, but I will say that (in general) Sedna is not smoother than Stock (sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't), but it is consistently more detailed.

@itsguy I looked at your comparison photo and understand the reasons for your original question. Allow me to emphasize something about the settings. I have more experience testing 24H than HBR, so my comments will apply to that for now.

The places where you will notice the greatest difference between stock settings and the highest quality Driftwood intra offerings are in the places where the codec is limiting the detail of the original scene. If the stock settings are able to handle it adequately, then you won't notice much of a difference. Noise, detail in lower third of the histogram and edges obscured by noise (and therefore softened by the factory settings) are all examples of details that are better preserved with the hacked settings.

Also, in high motion scenes where any encoding artifacts are present with stock settings, it is easy to see an improvement with the hacked settings. The JPEG you showcased does not seem to be an example of this - the detail is neither dark enough, nor noisy enough nor fine enough for the difference to be very obvious without grading. Hopefully my 24H example is somewhat clearer.

• @thepalalias, I was referring to Itsguy's side by side screenshot. In the video you posted I am going with right side first then left side for Sedna. Again I am going by smoothness, not sharpness.

• @jrd That is part of the difference. The clip was shot as ISO 3,200 and the way the two settings handle the noise is very different.

@mee Remember, the stock settings and Sedna AQ1 A switch positions about halfway through. Glad the direct visual examples are helpful!

• @Itsguy I've only used Mysteron for one day of shooting, and not on HBR, but going by its similarity to sedna and orion I think it is the right side in your screen grabs. I'm guessing this on overall smooth look and lack of overly green green rather than detail. It's 4am here though, so my tired eyes aren't at their best ;) As for shooting the messenger, I think allot of folks here tend to say things in a dry frank way., which may come off as them being offended or argumentative if your not used to it. For the most part I think members of this forum don't get their panties in a bunch too easily, but also don't hold back if they don't agree with something. Your tests are useful and I personally like side by side tests since I am less keen on the technical jargon, so it's nice to see direct visual examples. It is after all all about visual when all is said and done ;)

• @thepalalias

At the risk of looking foolish (or possessing very bad eyesight), I see more detail in the left side shot (at the beginning of the clip; later it goes to the right side). However, the quality of the noise also alters the look of things. The noise appears to be very different, from one shot to the other.

• @Itsguy sometimes I wonder just how far the patches have progressed, then I open one of the set.ini files. oldest to newest. Then you realize how much work has gone into these evolutions. Vitaly ,Driftwood,stonebat, thepalalias ,LPowell the information gathered from this blog..... Can I see the difference easily, but there is one issue, the box lens that came with the gh2 IS GARBAGE. I use only Canon FD primes,there in lies the change. For the most part, Orion versions work extraordinarily for me. CBR and VBR....... I am sure the next evolution will wobble our eye balls. Keep working...you will begin to see more of the change.

• @sir_danish Just to clarify, do you mean advice on how to process the footage you shot to get skin tones you prefer, or advice on how to shoot in the future?

• Today I decided to give "dynamic" (-2,-2,-1,-2) a try, as some users here seem to recommend it. Sedna C is my standard hack for a while now and I normally shoot everything in "smooth", because I feel, it gives me more room to play with the footage in post. Well, I should have sticked with smooth, because what I got from dynamic is pretty ugly, at least regarding my latest indoor shots. I don´t know, if there was something wrong with the white balance (manual, with white card) or if it has to do with how dynamic + Sedna C handle skin tones in darker areas... There are yellowish/greenish areas in the shadow parts of the subject´s face. Some other parts of the girls face have an almost purple tint, very subtle though. I´ve got two GH2, both of which show the same result with Sedna C and "dynamic". Does anybody have some advice for me? I need to get the best out of skin tones and I believe, Sedna C is still the best choice for that purpose.

test1.jpg
    294 x 300 - 50K
    test2.jpg
    544 x 189 - 68K
    test3.jpg
    240 x 572 - 80K
  • UPDATE: Currently re-encoding to include a 400% crop comparison after the 200% one. The settings will be presented in the same order and fashion as before for the 400% crop as well.

@jrd @itsguy

Here, I made this from the files linked on the page in my last post reference that page for the settings used). Each side is a 480x540 crop scaled to 960x1080 (in other words, a 200% crop).

One side is FW 1.1 stock and the other Sedna AQ1 A. Partway through they switch. Look for the clarity of the text near the upper left in particular.

Password is Driftwood1

I didn't check the filenames to see which was which, but I was pretty sure about the right answer after I watched it once on Vimeo.

• Thanks @thepalalias, boring tests, that's perfect!

• Right! I also abandoned 25p for 50p.

• @Itsguy you are right, HBR is not much better.
    24p on the other hand, Is a BIG different.............
    If you film in 720p/50 and upscaled to 1080 it is still better then HBR.
    Or in 50i and interpolated in post to 25p even looks sharper, more clear and clean...........

• Some of the round 1 footage from the L.A. footage should hopefully be available within the next few days.

As to the "lack of 1 to 1 comparison footage" I am gusesing people just keep forgetting about the boring tests I did of that a while back?

Sedna (all 6 versions), Orion (all 4 versions), Factory FW 1.1, etc.

http://perlichtman.com/pasdenapulse/wordpress/2012/03/15/panasonic-gh2-new-patch-tests-sedna-a-b-c-released-today/

• @mee - thanks for the advice.

• @exilenorth - No worries, I already love the GH2, even in stock form. Such a pleasure to use, it makes sense for all kinds of jobs, and the result are generally stunning. I certainly don't get to use an Alexa on every shoot, and don't get me started on the &^ RED. But it's good to do some serious comparisons, and see how far it will go, that's what we're doing here, no? Trouble is, what I'm seeing on screen is this. FYI Mysterion is on the left. Oh no, right. Stock HBR on the left. Or is it the other way round. Well, you can tell, it's totally obvious isn't it?

Hopefully with the help and advice of all those here I can post some positive results soon. I'll be doing side by side tests only from here on until I get somewhere, if that's of interest then don't shoot the messenger.

Screen Shot 2012-04-29 at 18.36.47.png
    1137 x 626 - 491K
  • VY Canis Majoris (VY CMa) is the largest known star and also one of the most luminous. It is a red hypergiant in the constellation Canis Major. It is 1800–2100 solar radii (8.4–9.8 astronomical units) in radius, about 3.0 billion km (1.9 billion mi) in diameter, and about 1.5 kiloparsecs (4,900 light-years) distant from Earth. Unlike most hypergiant stars, which occur in either binary or multiple star systems, VY CMa is a single star. It is categorized as a semiregular variable and has an estimated period of 2,000 days. It has an average density of 5 to 10 mg/m3. Placed at the center of the Solar System, VY Canis Majoris's surface would extend beyond the orbit of Saturn, although some astrophysicists disagree about the star's stated radius, suggesting it is smaller: merely 600 times the radius of the Sun, which would extend past the orbit of Mars

• I am a relative amateur, but when I first got my GH2 (with plans to hack) I tested it stock, and though the overall image was fantastic, I was a bit shocked how terrible power lines, fences, and various objects looked. I didn't remember ordering jello with my camera (har har). After the first hack I tried (maybe aquarius) I breathed a sigh of relief since I was seriously worried my camera had come flawed. The difference for me was dramatic. But if nothing else I have always had very good eyes (better than 20/20). Then going to the likes of seaquake, and terraquake I once again was pleasantly surprised. I often shoot a big funky modern moving modern art fountain by my house which has very complicated things going on, the earlier hacks looked nice, but some detail was lost in the speed of motion. With Seaquake and Terraquake the details were outstanding. Sometimes I still wonder if these weren't my favorite patches to date, but I am a big fan of fine detail. The newer patches seem to be more focused on overall flatness and smooth colors (also a good thing). I think right now Driftwood has us all waking up early to check if it's Christmas again.. I don't like hype, but I suspect there will be some smiles with what's coming.

In the mean time Itsguy I would recommend checking out seaquake for detail (you may have to revert to pre firmware update and ptools 3.64?) and for color check out sedna or orion v4b and film the sky on a slightly cloudy day, and then go look at the results compared to stock. As my wife says "it looks like the real sky". I liked the original panasonic color profile for it's ultra blue, but the newer hacks are definitely more dead on for true skies. If you still don't see it, maybe you are not patching it correctly.

Alright, I rambled enough, maybe by the time you all finish reading this it will be Christmas =")

• @Itsguy, I'm a professional, and have delivered several music videos and corporates shot with the GH2, sometimes side by side with 5Ds (mk II and now III). I also have Sony XDCAM, RED and Arri Alexa s-log footage, and even shots from old super-16 and 35mm neg. Question, with all that fire power what are you hoping to achieve with the GH2? Maybe you should go to Vimeo and search Gh2 and be intrigued with what results are there. It surely would help you feel comfortable using this "Mighty Mite" if you invest the time as most of us here. I was s Producer in Los Angeles and remember the camera department, and what I remember is not pretty. Good luck with Your testing.

• @jrd - thanks, that's exactly my point. I have a split screen running on a broadcast monitor here, that's my process. I can't wait to see something 100% convincing on it!

@APXmusic - thx I will try that. I agree some people can't tell SD from HD, and 50% can't tell CD from SACD. But I've been in and out of edit suits for nearly 25 years, including high end grading and BBC, so I do hope I'd be able to notice.

Enough posting for one day...

• @APXmusic

The differences between an uncompressed audio file and a highly compressed mp3 version of the same program should readily be perceived by a technical examination of the files, whether everyone can hear the difference or not. At least, we hope so!

On that basis, and under shooting conditions most favorable to revealing the strengths of the hacks, what does close examination of the video files reveal? Obvious differences? Differences too subtle to be readily perceived in projected footage? No significant differences at all?

Is this question really unanswerable? Or unreasonable?

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions