Personal View site logo
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 4: Cluster v2, Mysteron, Sedna, Orion...etc...
  • 1015 Replies sorted by
  • @shian thanks man the music is a big part of the video. I chopped it a bit though to make it work with the different clips

• @xavieramelio thanks and glad that you liked it. I did some heavy grading with MB looks. Shot in 24h with panasonic 14-42/pancake 20mm and olympus 45mm i really start to like that small lens.

• This is my first post so please bear with me if I'm missing something.

I'm a professional, and have delivered several music videos and corporates shot with the GH2, sometimes side by side with 5Ds (mk II and now III). I also have Sony XDCAM, RED and Arri Alexa s-log footage, and even shots from old super-16 and 35mm neg, to compare. I love the convenience of working with the GH2, and I'm excited by what everyone here is doing. So excited, I found a spare body going cheap and hacked it. So now I have one hacked and one unhacked body, which makes it easy to do more or less scientific side by side testing.

I've been comparing a bleak rainy view of the back garden, and a soft grad of bathroom tiles and underexposed noisy areas, using cinema mode, 0,-2,0,-2, 200 or 400 ISO, and either a 1.7 Pancake or a Zeiss 45mm f2 prime from a Contax G2. I've mainly been looking for improvements in 1080p25 HBR which is what I would generally use in real life. I've used a combination of static, slow and wild panning shots, and analysed the results imported as ProRes HQ in FCP7, at 100%, 400%, 800% sizes, frame by frame and moving, on an accurate broadcast monitor.

I've tried a range of popular settings, compared side by side with the exact same shot using stock HBR. I'm posting in this thread as the Mysterion setting was the only one so far where I could see anything much of note going on at all. While the improvement in 24p is there for anyone to see, and not altogether surprising given the lower 24p bit rate, in HBR mode the improvement seems at best subtle, or perhaps even debatable.

Am I missing something, or have I done something wrong? Or is stock HBR already pretty close to the limits of the AVCHD format, 4:2:0, the chip, and other non-codec related factors?

Hopefully, I'm in a good position to help test which settings really make a difference. Thanks for any advice on the best direction to go to see genuine improvements in HBR mode.

• Edit to above - to clarify, I meant I was using cinema picture profile / gamma in HBR mode, not 24p cinema mode.

• @Itsguy

Could clarify your comment that the improvement with the settings is apparent in 24p, but not HBR mode, "given the lower 24p bit rate"?

I believe the rate of both is 24mbs, if you use the 24H setting for 24p. Are you saying you see definite improvement in 24p, but not HBR?

• I have been stunned by Mysteron and the progress since I first starting using the great hacks here last August (kaes/butt). For me Mysteron does it all. This was taken at f8, 1/50th, kit 14-140mm lens, iso160, 5200k WB, nos -2-20-2, 24p cinema, variable ND, placed in CS55, fast color corrected for WB, luma adjustments, mild sharpening and rendered out at 24p, 30 CBR mpeg. Eye-wateringly delish. Many thanks Driftwood, VK and all.

• jrd - Sorry, my mistake. Stock 24p and 25p are of course running the same bit rate. I thought I saw a big improvement in 24p but on closer examination it was just a focus issue with the stock footage. Obviously I would hope for major improvements over lower bit rate stock 720, which is very useful.

JWalters - I was also stunned by my hacked test footage... until I compared it frame by frame with unhacked stock HBR of the same scene shot at the same time, and could see very little difference at all. Mysterion did at least have some results (a different grain feel), while in my tests so far many other popular settings did nothing much at all in terms of detail and compression artefacts. It's all too easy to get carried away here, bring on the science!

Sorry for this voice of doubt, I hope it's temporary, I love the GH2 and I want to believe! But I haven't been able to create a convincing side by side, split screen test yet, and I haven't seen anyone else's. For some reason this isn't what people are concentrating on - just great looking films in isolation, without side by side evidence. This has to be scientific, as a lovely shot with a good lens will always look convincing, regardless of the actual encoding - even recompressed on Vimeo or YouTube where it's meaningless.

It is not my intention to talk down all the fantastic work being done by everyone here, and I hope to help with it. I want the best possible settings too. However, since I am using hacked and unhacked bodies side by side, shooting out the window of a fairly well specced edit suite, I am trying to understand better why I see very little improvement as yet as compared to stock HBR, just minor tonal variations or slight sharpening of grain, without much if any perceptible detail improvement in still or moving footage. Perhaps it has something to do with the scenes or settings I am using, with is why I'm checking with you all here - though they are typical real-world scenes where I'd want to see some results to make it all worthwhile.

None of this applies to other, lower bit rate modes, which are no doubt vastly improved. Other improvements like PAL-NTSC switches and record limit removal are obviously also extremely welcome. But my goal is to find side by side improvements over stock HBR mode which non-scientists can clearly see and appreciate!

• @Itsguy If you really want to see a difference, you should shoot both unhacked and hacked flat...then go in and do the same post to both. You should see the difference then and yes, I agree, stock firmware looks very good beside the hacked settings and it requires a hard took to see any difference at all.

The devil is in the details.

• Of course stock GH2 footage looks great. If it didn't, Vitaliy would never have bothered to hack it. Here, there's been endless display of showing differences between hacked and not hacked. If you're not seeing it, go back to stock and be done with it.

• @proaudio4

I haven't gone through the entire archive, but if there are detailed comparisons of identical stock and hacked footage, color-corrected at levels likely to stress the codec and reveal differences, could you indicate where?

There have been stills posted within the last few weeks, subjected to maximum levels of saturation, and those did reveal differences in noise, if I recall. But is there anything comparing the results of cc more in line with what might actually occur in correcting footage for actual release?

• @jrd Some of the LA people are doing tests but I don't think they've put anything together to look at. As a rule, everyone is doing their own testing because we all have different needs. I shoot mostly in 720-60 so my choices are a little more limited.

There are also so many different things to look for, how a setting responds to color correction or grading, macro blocking, etc, you could write a book on it.

Then you have to consider the different lenses used to test. I have 9 lenses I use with the GH2 and the settings respond differently to each one.

Asking which is better is a little like asking what the best rifle to hunt Deer is.

• @peternap

Everyone concedes that different lenses produce different results. But I don't think it's unreasonable to ask if there are significant differences between hacked and unhacked footage shot under identical conditions, and if those differences are readily perceivable either before or after customary post. (Also, it would be interesting to know, assuming differences can be perceived, at what frame size or GOP structure, beyond which there's no added benefit.)

Proof of that claim is all itsguy was asking for, if I understood him correctly.

• I think it's kind of like MP3 files. Not everyone can notice the difference between a 128kbps and a 320kbps file. You have to have an ear for that sort of thing.

Of course with video it is a little different but the comparisons are there. You just have to find out what works for you and do that.

I shoot quite a bit of landscapes and buildings here in Japan and I notice that the higher bitrates do help with keeping things looking sharp and clean. Especially in low light. Using a GOP1 setting with a high bitrate really does make a difference to me.

• @proaudio4 - Surely the hack process began because of the remarkably poor quality of the 17mb/sec GH1 codec, and the lack of 25p in the GH2 prior to the 1.1 firmware. In the last 15 pages of this thread, I see a great many examples of people's beautiful hacked movies, but no actual comparisons with stock, that's my point. It's worthwhile to create an actual split screen and see if you or any of your film's viewers can actually see the join once it's graded and has had even rudimentary post. Otherwise, we can all too easily get excited about how great our movies look, but we won't make much genuine progress.

I do see effects from Mysterion, though so far it might be hard to pick in a blind tasting. Perhaps my expectations are unrealistic, or my settings wrong, or I'm looking at scenes that just happen to work well with stock settings. Which is why I'm discussing it here, I have no interest in an argument.

Thanks to all the serious testers putting in hard work on this.

• @APXmusic

The differences between an uncompressed audio file and a highly compressed mp3 version of the same program should readily be perceived by a technical examination of the files, whether everyone can hear the difference or not. At least, we hope so!

On that basis, and under shooting conditions most favorable to revealing the strengths of the hacks, what does close examination of the video files reveal? Obvious differences? Differences too subtle to be readily perceived in projected footage? No significant differences at all?

Is this question really unanswerable? Or unreasonable?

• @jrd - thanks, that's exactly my point. I have a split screen running on a broadcast monitor here, that's my process. I can't wait to see something 100% convincing on it!

@APXmusic - thx I will try that. I agree some people can't tell SD from HD, and 50% can't tell CD from SACD. But I've been in and out of edit suits for nearly 25 years, including high end grading and BBC, so I do hope I'd be able to notice.

Enough posting for one day...

• @Itsguy, I'm a professional, and have delivered several music videos and corporates shot with the GH2, sometimes side by side with 5Ds (mk II and now III). I also have Sony XDCAM, RED and Arri Alexa s-log footage, and even shots from old super-16 and 35mm neg. Question, with all that fire power what are you hoping to achieve with the GH2? Maybe you should go to Vimeo and search Gh2 and be intrigued with what results are there. It surely would help you feel comfortable using this "Mighty Mite" if you invest the time as most of us here. I was s Producer in Los Angeles and remember the camera department, and what I remember is not pretty. Good luck with Your testing.

• I am a relative amateur, but when I first got my GH2 (with plans to hack) I tested it stock, and though the overall image was fantastic, I was a bit shocked how terrible power lines, fences, and various objects looked. I didn't remember ordering jello with my camera (har har). After the first hack I tried (maybe aquarius) I breathed a sigh of relief since I was seriously worried my camera had come flawed. The difference for me was dramatic. But if nothing else I have always had very good eyes (better than 20/20). Then going to the likes of seaquake, and terraquake I once again was pleasantly surprised. I often shoot a big funky modern moving modern art fountain by my house which has very complicated things going on, the earlier hacks looked nice, but some detail was lost in the speed of motion. With Seaquake and Terraquake the details were outstanding. Sometimes I still wonder if these weren't my favorite patches to date, but I am a big fan of fine detail. The newer patches seem to be more focused on overall flatness and smooth colors (also a good thing). I think right now Driftwood has us all waking up early to check if it's Christmas again.. I don't like hype, but I suspect there will be some smiles with what's coming.

In the mean time Itsguy I would recommend checking out seaquake for detail (you may have to revert to pre firmware update and ptools 3.64?) and for color check out sedna or orion v4b and film the sky on a slightly cloudy day, and then go look at the results compared to stock. As my wife says "it looks like the real sky". I liked the original panasonic color profile for it's ultra blue, but the newer hacks are definitely more dead on for true skies. If you still don't see it, maybe you are not patching it correctly.

Alright, I rambled enough, maybe by the time you all finish reading this it will be Christmas =")

• VY Canis Majoris (VY CMa) is the largest known star and also one of the most luminous. It is a red hypergiant in the constellation Canis Major. It is 1800–2100 solar radii (8.4–9.8 astronomical units) in radius, about 3.0 billion km (1.9 billion mi) in diameter, and about 1.5 kiloparsecs (4,900 light-years) distant from Earth. Unlike most hypergiant stars, which occur in either binary or multiple star systems, VY CMa is a single star. It is categorized as a semiregular variable and has an estimated period of 2,000 days. It has an average density of 5 to 10 mg/m3. Placed at the center of the Solar System, VY Canis Majoris's surface would extend beyond the orbit of Saturn, although some astrophysicists disagree about the star's stated radius, suggesting it is smaller: merely 600 times the radius of the Sun, which would extend past the orbit of Mars

• @exilenorth - No worries, I already love the GH2, even in stock form. Such a pleasure to use, it makes sense for all kinds of jobs, and the result are generally stunning. I certainly don't get to use an Alexa on every shoot, and don't get me started on the &^ RED. But it's good to do some serious comparisons, and see how far it will go, that's what we're doing here, no? Trouble is, what I'm seeing on screen is this. FYI Mysterion is on the left. Oh no, right. Stock HBR on the left. Or is it the other way round. Well, you can tell, it's totally obvious isn't it?

Hopefully with the help and advice of all those here I can post some positive results soon. I'll be doing side by side tests only from here on until I get somewhere, if that's of interest then don't shoot the messenger.

Screen Shot 2012-04-29 at 18.36.47.png
    1137 x 626 - 491K
  • @mee - thanks for the advice.

• Some of the round 1 footage from the L.A. footage should hopefully be available within the next few days.

As to the "lack of 1 to 1 comparison footage" I am gusesing people just keep forgetting about the boring tests I did of that a while back?

Sedna (all 6 versions), Orion (all 4 versions), Factory FW 1.1, etc.

http://perlichtman.com/pasdenapulse/wordpress/2012/03/15/panasonic-gh2-new-patch-tests-sedna-a-b-c-released-today/

• @Itsguy you are right, HBR is not much better.
    24p on the other hand, Is a BIG different.............
    If you film in 720p/50 and upscaled to 1080 it is still better then HBR.
    Or in 50i and interpolated in post to 25p even looks sharper, more clear and clean...........

• Right! I also abandoned 25p for 50p.

• Thanks @thepalalias, boring tests, that's perfect!

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions