Personal View site logo
GoPro Hero HD
  • In the last 2 years I find myself using GoPro footage, whether it be only a shot or two, in roughly 10-25% of of my projects. Vitaliy, have you ever looked into hacking that firmware? Almost everyone I know in the film industry owns one. I bet you'd get a lot of donations.
  • 33 Replies sorted by
  • Cool stuff. Go GoPro!!!

• @Skeptikal
    "I have been recently playing with my Panasonic Lumix DMC-FT3. I got it to use on my next shark trip as a pole-cam over the stern of the boat (when it's not my turn in the cage)...cheap if it gets eaten."

Just be careful that shark doesn't jump in boat to eat you...or cause too much stress. :-)
    http://newswatch.nationalgeographic.com/2011/07/22/great-white-shark-jumps-on-boat-stressing-everyone/
  • Thanks for the update Rambo. I think I'll subscribe to your forum.
  • I have been recently playing with my Panasonic Lumix DMC-FT3. I got it to use on my next shark trip as a pole-cam over the stern of the boat (when it's not my turn in the cage)...cheap if it gets eaten.

Build quality is very good...but the mic picks up AF noise badly (but not really an issue for dubbing sound).

1080 image quality is crappy when compared with my GH13's (but way better than my friend's YoHo Pro)...but it's OK for special projects (haven't tried tweaking the image in Edius yet).

I'm confident it would benefit greatly from just upping the bit-rate...
  • Thanks VK
  • >any suggestions on a FW manipulating tool other than a hex editor and binwalk, which is what they are using.

IDA Pro. It is standard tool :-)
  • Well that's timely, someone has come out of the blue on my forum and posted proof of dumping the GoPro FW, altering it and reflashing the bin file. Only problem is it's the 960HD version not the 1080HD. However it should be similar but not contain any rear port control. Why they didn't just start of with the 1080 version is beyond me, the FW is available without having to dump.

Vitaliy, any suggestions on a FW manipulating tool other than a hex editor and binwalk, which is what they are using.

You were correct in the other thread it is Ambarella System Software Running on PrKERNELv4
  • All they are doing is comparing the different versions of Gopro FW, i posted all the versions here for Vitaliy to look at months ago. http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/11
  • On the last page there looks to be a lot of firmware related stuff.
  • Brian, those are the same people on the GoPro User Forum i posted above, there is no one actively working on reversing FW, only trying to control the rear port so they can take 360 degree stills.
    http://goprouser.freeforums.org/the-gopro-hero-hd-bus-interface-t797.html
    http://beta.trackview.org.nz/images/housing.jpg
    housing.jpg
    800 x 600 - 75K
  • Have an under-water scene for music video coming up and the TS3 seems like it would do the job. I would gladly donate too.
  • "What's nice about the GoPro is all the different mounts that have already been proven to work. For the FT3, one would have to start all over and make their own mounts."

EyeOfMine.com used to have reversing adapters for sale that allowed you to mount any lightweight camera with a 1/4 20 thread to any GoPro accessory. I got one before they stopped selling them.
  • Are you really sure?
    Sensor output is 25p. Most probably it is very similar to upscaled 720p.
    Screen looks very bad, small and low res.
  • I would be all over the Lumix DMC-FT3 as well for the CCD alone.
  • B3Guy - you're absolutely right! Don't know why I hadn't thought of that :)
    Just use a piece of 1/4 x 20 threaded stock and the GoPro tripod adapter and that would do it
  • Hi everybody, is anyone knows if a FT3 program can unlocked the video time recorder more than 30 minutes. Thank you
  • just create one reliable adapter to the GoPro system and there you go
  • What's nice about the GoPro is all the different mounts that have already been proven to work. For the FT3, one would have to start all over and make their own mounts.

It is lighter than a GoPro however and that CCD ..........
  • I second the DMC-FT3... its resolution is really good, and it's also CCD, which means NO rolling shutter! :)
  • Mr. V, I could most certainly go for the FT3! I don't even have one, but if you hacked it, I'd donate and buy one in a jiffy. I can already imagine great underwater sequences, or on a car in a downpour! Go for it, I say :-)
  • We have people on our forum successfully hacking the GoPro rear port connections, but not FW yet.

http://goprouser.freeforums.org/the-gopro-hero-hd-bus-interface-t797.html
  • Also, although the Lumix DMC-FT3 would be cool, the GoPro offers 3D which a lot of people want. Personally I could take it or leave it, but the 3D junkies would donate for sure.
  • I still think with the amount of people that own a GoPro, the donations would be huge. Also if the firmware is anything like the GoPro menu system it probably wouldn't take too long to hack. As for the Lumix DMC-FT3, I would also donate for that hack. I'd just donate more for the GoPro hack :)
  • >Lumix DMC-FT3

Yes! I will donate for this hack!