Personal View site logo
GoPro Hero HD
  • In the last 2 years I find myself using GoPro footage, whether it be only a shot or two, in roughly 10-25% of of my projects. Vitaliy, have you ever looked into hacking that firmware? Almost everyone I know in the film industry owns one. I bet you'd get a lot of donations.
  • 33 Replies sorted by
  • I second the thought. I use GoPros a lot and while they're amazing little things, they do make a lot of mud.
  • Plus, the general IQ, Dynamic Range, ect... of GoPro's is not that great. I don't see much point in getting a higher bit-rate out of footage that is always going to look like b-roll video...
  • GoPro?...no comment.

If anything would be worth hacking it's the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FT3. It's an excellent little waterproof (12m) compact that would benefit from higher bit rates.
  • Never understood the hype about the GoPro's, to be honest. Only thing i did like about it was that the actual resolution was higher then the Canon's.
  • >Lumix DMC-FT3

This could be our next target.
    Based on same chip as GH2. With same encoder.
    Could be sweet. :-)
  • Great to hear that!
  • It depends of course, if interested people will be present :-)

I think @Rambo could be one :-)
  • >Lumix DMC-FT3

Yes! I will donate for this hack!
  • I still think with the amount of people that own a GoPro, the donations would be huge. Also if the firmware is anything like the GoPro menu system it probably wouldn't take too long to hack. As for the Lumix DMC-FT3, I would also donate for that hack. I'd just donate more for the GoPro hack :)
  • Also, although the Lumix DMC-FT3 would be cool, the GoPro offers 3D which a lot of people want. Personally I could take it or leave it, but the 3D junkies would donate for sure.
  • We have people on our forum successfully hacking the GoPro rear port connections, but not FW yet.

http://goprouser.freeforums.org/the-gopro-hero-hd-bus-interface-t797.html
  • Mr. V, I could most certainly go for the FT3! I don't even have one, but if you hacked it, I'd donate and buy one in a jiffy. I can already imagine great underwater sequences, or on a car in a downpour! Go for it, I say :-)
  • I second the DMC-FT3... its resolution is really good, and it's also CCD, which means NO rolling shutter! :)
  • What's nice about the GoPro is all the different mounts that have already been proven to work. For the FT3, one would have to start all over and make their own mounts.

It is lighter than a GoPro however and that CCD ..........
  • just create one reliable adapter to the GoPro system and there you go
  • Hi everybody, is anyone knows if a FT3 program can unlocked the video time recorder more than 30 minutes. Thank you
  • B3Guy - you're absolutely right! Don't know why I hadn't thought of that :)
    Just use a piece of 1/4 x 20 threaded stock and the GoPro tripod adapter and that would do it
  • I would be all over the Lumix DMC-FT3 as well for the CCD alone.
  • Are you really sure?
    Sensor output is 25p. Most probably it is very similar to upscaled 720p.
    Screen looks very bad, small and low res.
  • "What's nice about the GoPro is all the different mounts that have already been proven to work. For the FT3, one would have to start all over and make their own mounts."

EyeOfMine.com used to have reversing adapters for sale that allowed you to mount any lightweight camera with a 1/4 20 thread to any GoPro accessory. I got one before they stopped selling them.
  • Have an under-water scene for music video coming up and the TS3 seems like it would do the job. I would gladly donate too.
  • Brian, those are the same people on the GoPro User Forum i posted above, there is no one actively working on reversing FW, only trying to control the rear port so they can take 360 degree stills.
    http://goprouser.freeforums.org/the-gopro-hero-hd-bus-interface-t797.html
    http://beta.trackview.org.nz/images/housing.jpg
    housing.jpg
    800 x 600 - 75K
  • On the last page there looks to be a lot of firmware related stuff.