Personal View site logo
BlackMagic: Official $2,995 raw cinema camera topic
  • 1156 Replies sorted by
  • The real issue with this camera is the lenses. Fast wides are going to be hard to come by. Tokina 11-16, Canon 16-35, etc. But they really need to expand the lens mount capabilities to M43's. That would be logical. The other issue is the lack of HDMI for EVF support, you shouldn't have to lose the image when you need to change settings...or at the very least they need to have an overlay so that you can do both things at once. Lastly, the ergonomics are, errr, not the most ummm ergonomic. A bit like the filing cabinets people drove around in, in the 1970's. This is definitely more of an aquisition device than a camera.

• I know it doesn't exist yet but a b4 to EF adapter with this sensor size using the b4 2/3" lens with the doubler seems to be perfect, my biggest gripe with a B4 2/3" lens on micro 4/3 has been the edge distortion.. thus why I have not pulled the trigger on a setup like that for Micro 4/3. With the BMD camera and the slightly smaller size sensor could be very well, "nearly perfect on paper" for this combo. Also the camera would take the same voltage as the B4 lens zoom etc.. Thoughts?

• @allenswrench

Suffer through work flow issues?

Umm no. Unless the camera is faulty there should be no issues.

Shoot in ProRes edit in ProRes. Record audio on the unit instead of external recorder, no need to sync audio, plus metadata travels over so half your footage will be logged already.

I don't see that as suffering .

Right now I shoot on Gh2 in AvcHd then convert to ProRes, then sync it with the audio out of a H4N, then and only then do even start really logging it. Not nearly as big as of pain as capturing DV tape back in the day but it could be a bit less of a hassle to start editing.

• @johnbrawley - Great Stuff! If you are looking for someone to team up with to talk about Davinci Resolve workflow I am more than happy to contribute my time. Here is a super basic tutorial that I created to get people started on Resolve Lite 8.1.1:

you can email me at info AT dankanes DOT com

• Footage looks sharpened to me. Looks good, though.

• I agree it looks very Mac focussed. but... does it make sense for BMD to focus on Apple hardware? I saw a lot Mac guys switching to FCP X and buying a fast iMac i7 instead of a MacPro . It's a combination which works quite well but consider that resolve tec specs require a cuda graphic card and therefore MacPro. (So does Adobe PremierePro & AE workflow) MacPro hasn't been updated since almost two year, actually there are only two nVidia cuda graphic cards on the market. Personally I lost faith that there will be a continuation in the MacPro line. Any thoughts about that?

• @peaceonearth

resolve tec specs require a cuda graphic card and therefore Mac Pro.

(Emphasis mine.) Unless I misunderstand some specific point you’re making, your statement is incorrect. The Mac Pro isn’t the only piece of Apple hardware that has a CUDA-enabled graphics chip in it. If fact, Resolve can (and is certified to) run on the MacBook Pro, as well. Specifically, BlackMagic Design states that

DaVinci Resolve on a 17-inch MacBook Pro is fully featured and not limited in any way.

The emphasis on the 17-inch model is made purely due to the fact that Resolve requires a 1920 by 1200 screen, and 15-inch and 13-inch laptops from Apple don’t (yet) meet this requirement.

• And Mac Pro is on its way out - build a hackintosh much faster and cheaper :)

• @Mr_Moore

so my information is wrong? I read at BMD http://blackmagic-design.com/media/3358646/Resolve%20Mac%20Config%20Guide%20Mar%202012.pdf

Building a Resolve MacBook Pro: Suitable for SD and SD/HD shot preview

MacBook Pro: If your projects are all SD, or for the web, you could use a high resolution MacBook Pro, just as those working in the field would use for on set work. A ThunderboltTM connection can be used for ingest of video tape and high speed disk storage.

CUDA is required as far as I understood and MBP has no CUDA featured graphic card. 2010 MBP had a NVidia 330M 512MB graphics that could be hacked but as I read it was no big succes due to only 512 MB graphics.

• +1 @soundgh2

But why bother building (installing) a hackintosh? There is nothing OSX has to offer that Win7 could not do (perhaps even better). And the software offerings for Win is far far larger.

Apple seems to be strongly consumer orientated brand and has obviously chosen that direction to steepen in the future.

I just dumped the last Mac from my company by installing Win7 to it :)

• I currently run Resolve on a 15 inch, 2.6 ghz, 2008, pre unibody, MacBook Pro just fine. The graphics card is CUDA. No need for a crazy spec computer for the current version 8, not sure what version 9 will demand.

• Btw, to Windows guys suggest to check MAGIX Video Pro X, it has ProRes, DNxHD support, has color correction, multicam, and CUDA is not required (you can work on AMD cards using OpenCL) etc

http://pro.magix.com/en/video-pro-x/overview.275.html

• Pretty darn good skin tones. Still look a little more pink to me than alexa but definitely better than most other things I've seen.

Hopefully they'll release a pro version with built in NDs or at least 1080p60 (or ideally 120 fps). Then it would be a real red/canon killer. Whenever we've rented a red it hasn't been for 4K, it's been for slow motion so...

That makes it a deal breaker for me. But I can see with the latest tests why it would be perfect for others.

• @JDN

With a camera like this you'll see a ton of custom third party solutions to fix it's limitations. I bet you see 3rd party replacement front panels with different lens mounts and built in ND wheels. As for the 1080 60p, maybe the sensor is capable of that and it'll be implemented in a firmware update. Blackmagic isn't a company that thinks inside a box like Panasonic or Sony does, so I have a felling they will update the firmware with more functionality as time goes on. I hope over and under cranking is something they will eventually implement.

• I wonder if they will sync up reliably for 3D acquisition using Lanc.

• The Panasonic gh3 will be a hard sell now. When I think that I bought my gh2 for more than half of this camera it is mind boggling.

• @kavadni

It's probably more likely it'll happen thru a future thunderbolt jam syncing type of adapter.

• @DrDave footage was only graded in Resolve. No sharpening.

• @rsquires I haven't done any green screen yet. I'm sure it will rock. And lemac will have a bunch of them I'm sure. jb

• @danyyyel

This is really weird claim, as this is cameras for different goals. You know little about BMC aside from specs and two compressed videos. And you do not know anything about GH3.

Remember to check http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2752/about-forums#Item_18 from time to time.

• @johnbrawley i like you natural style of shooting .... minimal grading and no sharpening is opposite of modern trends but makes image look like celluloid ... great...

• @Jasketti prefer the Mac flavour of Pro Tools, and .... erm that;s it lol oh and Logic and dual booted of course.

• @leonbeas I couldn't watch it anymore, I was crying tears, the best ever!!!

• Just brilliant.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions