Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
BlackMagic: Official $2,995 raw cinema camera topic
  • 1156 Replies sorted by
  • @johnbrawley Then that is impressively sharp!

• @neveraholiday

No, it's 2 balanced channels of audio, so one channal per jack unlike DSLR's where there is 2 unbalanced channels per jack. Balanced audio is better.

• I'm really looking forward to seeing more on this camera. Based on the numbers, it certainly appears to offer what many have been waiting to see in this price range. Kind of what RED dragged their customer base for in this price range which never happened.

Just based on the current footage, the dynamic range certainly appears to be decent, but the noise levels (beach footage) look horrible in the dusk and lower light shots. I realize they are still tweaking this camera, I'm hoping it gets a lot better for signal to noise.

• This is calculated correctly for m4/3 at 1.85 crop

sensor size comparison.jpg
    1452 x 983 - 390K
  • Considering HD-SDI output. I still prefer to have also HDMI. But it is no tragic situation. As I see more and more monitors with SDI ports. Prices for Chinese stuff are near $500.
    We'l have also more powerful Ikan, SmallHD, etc

• At this price point I think that it is going to be more interesting what the competition do... Hopefully this will shake things up more than RED! Count on it!

• @alcomposer Other companies don't have to do shit. This is a pretty specialized product. Canon, Panasonic, Sony will do their own thing. They don't have to compete against Blackmagic. They compete with themselves.

• @John_Farragut that could be a sad reality... Only time will tell how much of the bottom line the BMDCC eats... What ever happens this is still a watershed moment. RAW for 3k! Weren't we all discussing this only last week- being that this would happen +2014? Interesting...

• Anyone read this:

Storage Format Mac OS Extended format. SSDs can be formatted on any Mac or use Mediafour MacDrive (not included) on a Windows PC.

The darn thing is a camera strapped to a Mac Mini! :-D

• @alcomposer

I suggest do not worry about RAW and major companies.
    Real reason why it is not widespread is the flash cards speed (other small one is mobile DRAM).
    It is clear that new cards will doublt or even triple speed in next year. So, you could see 1080p RAW.

The darn thing is a camera strapped to a Mac Mini!

This is oriented mostly to Mac users. As one of two programs runs only on Mac, it is quite hard to find Thunderbolt on PCs, and SSD are formatted in Mac compatible way.

• MacDrive cost 50$ fair trade for 999$ davinci resolve 9..... if BMD want their camera to be MAC only they wouldn't include DNxHD ...

• I could care less about the hdmi. A pro grade monitor will have sdi. When I bought my ikan VX7 and I was on the fence about the lower priced Marshall (with hdmi only) the no sdi was the deal breaker for me. It's a shitty connector and it is the "vhs" of video interface. EASY for the home consumer and not really meant for professional applications. The fact that Zacuto actually marketed their evf as a "Pro" model shows them what they are... hucksters that will do anything for a dime. Oops, tangent over. Sorry VK.

I'm really interested in seeing more skin tones with this as it is my preference for shooting.

• @kavadni I don't know. I think maybe not.....

• Fair call @VK.

Interesting to come to terms with the fact that as SD size and speed increases camera companies will simply drop 'RAW' as a present. Can't wait to see actual 'footage' out of this thing though- as opposed to encoded Vimeo. Without a doubt I am seriously considering this cam.

• Been having a laugh reading bloggers over enthusiastic and slightly out of touch with reality articles about the Blackmagic. Especially love the comparison to a iphone by one.

This camera looks great (especially for commercial work) but it wont be a "DSLR killer" and I dont think Canon,Nikon,Sony will be too affected in sales of their Dslr range.

Its a different target market for a start.

As for the iphone theory .Cant see general public walking around with the blackmagic and a expensive SSD installed. Its not going to be a tech revolution...it will probably make some other video camera manufacturers sweat a bit though!

Many small budgeted filmmakers wont have the capacity on their workstations to use the raw footage.

For me Id love one but I could see it being a major headache on my current setup.

This camera has its place and shouldnt really be compared to DSLRs.

Love the hitler vid...funny but sooo true! ;-)

• @leonbeas

(re: Hitler buys from B&H ....and gets passover delivery)

You my friend, are one great writer & a damn fine editor too!

• Caught up with the thread, skimmed a lot of responses (no offense), but especially paid attention to some of the more experienced posters.

I'm with @Vitaliy_Kiselev and others who stated that this is going to be a disappointment to a lot of people. IN the sense that most here have no idea what they're getting into messing with a RAW camera system like this. However, with the help of a large community, I imagine the transition will be a lot less painful than it would've been before the dawn of film forums.

I can already see the horribly corrected footage from people trying to grade on Dell monitors. =D It's going to be eye-gougingly horrific.

I'm still going to keep the GH2 for a little while, just to have a 60P option and in the rare even that I need something SLIGHTLY wider (negligibly so). Officially and finally there's a camera for guys like me, that straddle the major and no-budget production line. All of those jobs that I really don't want to whip a RED out on, but can't stand not having more than 9.5 stops of DR, fiddling with ISO bugs, so on and so forth...

Tis the time. I'm second in line over at Markertek. It's gonna be a LONG wait.

And, on yeah, what's up with those guys over on that one website saying it's a good documentary camera. LOL.

• @kholi "I'm second in line over at Markertek."

Behind me :) Glad you got my message about where I got mine and hopped in line behind me.

• Thanks for that, mang.

• @kholi "the sense that most here have no idea what they're getting into messing with a RAW camera system like this"

I agree 100% and I'm a little fearful of not just the workflow, but also of the cost & time for storage and archiving the increased amount of data.

Right now, I assume that I will shoot more minutes of compressed footage than I will raw. There is plenty of work to help pay the bills where the compressed footage will be more than acceptable. As to the raw, expenses have gone up. More costs of storage/archiving. Faster drive subsystems to edit unless your going to string a bunch of SSD's together to edit from (and that in itself will be expensive).

As to workflow regarded editing / colorizing the raw data, I'm not sure how that's going to work time and rendering wise. It will be more, but just how much more, who knows. Hopefully I have the processing power and infrastructure on my storage systems to work. (Been more PC centric for the last few years and recently sold my Mac laptop, so all PC now.)

Like everything on the internet, there's probably more BS opinions than good thought provoking ones, but regardless, to all those with some experience and talking from brain to mouth instead of the other route, thanks for sharing your opinions.

I ordered 2 days ago and have read so much these last 4 days on this camera that I'm getting fatigued, but I keep coming back. Gonna be a long 3 months.

ps.... I'm thrilled that I'll finally be using SSD's to record on. Thank you Black Magic.

• Any ideas as to if and if so/ what version of Premiere CS will be able to edit the raw files without going into Resolve.

• Guys, how about calculate real cost of ownership for this camera?

For examle, for active shooter who also use local double backup and cloud based backup.

• @jfro

As far as I know Premiere must open any CinemaDNG files.

• About the SDI out....Maybe you could use this with it? Probably will cost a grip though...

• Can ultra scopes be used on a windows laptop with thunderbolt?

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions