Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
BlackMagic: Official $2,995 raw cinema camera topic
  • 1156 Replies sorted by
  • I wish I had have added the SDI option to my DP6 when I ordered. I will use a blackmagic SDI->HDMI converter .. they have thruput of SDI.

I use them to run HDMI cameras to my switcher. I think they're $295

• The specifications say:

'Apple ProRes and Avid DNxHD. All compressed recording in 1920x1080 10-bit YUV with choice of Film or Video Dynamic Range.'

I wonder what the film vs video dynamic range choice entails

• @pinger007 .. ultrascope runs under windows via USB3, so I would assume it would run with windows via thunderbolt

• @kavadni video range is probably Rec. 709 an film will be some kind of log gamma...

• @kavadni "I wish I had added the SDI option to my DP6 when I ordered."

You can send it back to them for the upgrade. Price isn't too bad, it's on their website.

• I think many will be disappointed about the raw because they have heard some much about it but the workflow and know-how will just be too much for them. But I think the Prores/dnxhd at 10 bit and log output is going to be still very very good. You might loose a little DR and gradability but it will still be much much better than the baked look in 8 bit 4.2.0 to 4.2.2 that most of us are using. It will closer to the $ 13 000 Sony F3 or $ 50 000 Alexa. I think in this way blackmagic has really a mature product an approach. In 9 out of 10 case people will find the compressed output more than enough.

• Good for the people who are aware of what raw workflow entails. Sucks for those who don't. Oh well. They'll adapt, eventually.

• @kavadni

Thanks for the info about ultra scopes working under Windows. Just wasn't sure...

I'm looking into the new Windows-based laptops coming out with the new Ivy Bridge cpu and thunderbolt ports; should be a great combo with an internal SSD.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev "As far as I know Premiere must open any CinemaDNG files."

I assumed that (since Adobe invented it and gave it to the community). I was asking if anyone experience and I'm also assuming CS5.5 would work.

@kavadni I'm in same boat with my SmallHD4, but they don't make it with BNC (as far as I know). I'm hoping within 3 months there will be an small and inexpensive converter for either the sdi to hdmi, or thunderbolt to hdmi cable. Might be wishful thinking, but I'd think either Black Magic or one of the monitor companies (smallHD) would find it to their benefit to develop and market such a piece.

• In a BlackMagic floor interview, one of the employees mentioned they have a suggested list for SSD's. Anyone know where to find the list?

• @jfro

Yes it works for CS5.5. Just use it as you would with DPX files.

• @jfro

Go to the Blackmagic website and look up the recommended drives for the Hyperdeck Shuttle 2. Since some of the tech of the Blackmagic Cinema Camera is based off the Hyperdeck Shuttle 2, I bet that is the list the employee was talking about.

• Native 800 ASA.

• @kavadni I am aware of their converter and many more. I was trying to wish/think outloud was for a simpler, less expensive converter for the camera to hdmi monitors... For the $295 range, I might as well upgrade my monitor to one with SDI in. Less clutter.

I do not like big rigs. I'm not in the business of shooting with large crews and huge rigs. I'm more for small setups. I just spent some time shooting the blooming flowers in our yards with sunlight, GH2, and smallHD 4. Pain in the ass outside moving around in the bright sunlight. I like the monitor, but it's not the end all.

• @Brian202020 Thanks. I had looked before, but didn't venture into the support area.

BlackMagic list of drives. In their support department under the Shuttle II....

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/support/detail/supportnotes/supportnote/?sid=3960&pid=3968&os=win&isSDK=0&snid=23763

• I'm certain I'd rarely use RAW. For all the reasons you guys say. It's kind of like having 4 wheel drive on your car, you'll rarely use it but hey! It's nice fucking knowing it's there if you need it!

• I too will shoot mostly in DNxHD as I do now on the Hyperdecks. I think I will venture into RAW with music videos. I also think I will be best served if I develop a more defined offline / online structure.

• Raises some interesting thoughts

• http://www.studiodaily.com/2012/04/blackmagic-designs-nab-surprise-its-a-camera/

I read multiple times that this is mostly a Mac thing. This interview suggests that Apple actively contributed to the development of this camera. I wouldn't be surprised. It looks so neat and it works with FCPX out of the box. It also has the Thunderbolt port which is pretty unique as well. Resolve was also one of the first programs to work with FCPX XML. By now, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple buys BMD in the near future. Maybe BMD is going to build the next Mac Pro ;)

• God forbid Apple buy BMD.

• Apple would take the RAW image and make it the "Fun Codec" at "Good mb/s".

• I will wait to see what BMD does on version 2. I will also wait to see what Panasonic does to compete with the FS700. I love the dynamic range of this BMD cam, the color space, and file format, but little else.

• @bwhitz, come on apple developed prores and that is a great codec, sure apples focus now is consumers mainly, and they did mess up final cut now, but they have done some good stuff in video world.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions