Personal View site logo
BlackMagic: Official $2,995 raw cinema camera topic
  • 1156 Replies sorted by
  • @Brian202020 lets hope for BMD sake that someone else doesn't come out with a better deal/camera! Its a war zone out there!

• He's very careful to say that the camera ships with ASA 400/800/1600 -- sounds like this is very much a platform that they will build on, in the coming months after its release.

• @alcomposer lets hope for our sakes that someone else does :)

just need: s35 sensor 60p+

that's it, that's all I need but fortunately for BMD, that camera won't come from Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Fuji, Panasonic, Arri, nor RED. The only company who poses a threat is Sony but they don't seem to be picking up RAW support anytime soon.

We are certainly getting close to that perfect camera for $3,000 though.

• Where is everyone supposedly placing their orders??? I've spoken to bhphotovideo and adorama, and they both say they aren't taking orders yet.

• CVP in the UK are taking orders. They're also selling the AF101 for 3,000 pounds. :-)

http://www.creativevideo.co.uk/index.php?t=product/blackmagic_cinema_camera

• @Vitaliy Vitaliy's ideal modification of BM camera:

m43 mount (OIS and aperture adjustment works, Lanc driven focus works)
    Thunderbolt replaced with two USB 3.0 ports, on of them support host
    Added HDMI port, may be via small extra converter, securely attached
    No back touch screen, but support for external USB powered LCD touchscreens.
    No internal battery
    No software
    Price $1599

That sounds perfect. Right price, right features.

• Placed my order at Markertek.

• John Brawley probably knows more about this camera than anyone outside of Blackmagic. Here are some quotes from his blog.

http://johnbrawley.wordpress.com/2012/04/17/blackmagic-cinema-camera-lets-take-it-from-the-top/

Alan Halfhill says: April 17, 2012 at 9:08 am

I vote for 4/3rds mount as well. And a removable battery! 90 minutes is tooooo short.

Reply - johnbrawley says: April 17, 2012 at 9:50 pm

They aren’t going to be doing just one camera.

johnbrawley says: April 17, 2012 at 9:38 pm

I hear you on the internal batteries. I thought it would be a bigger problem than what it’s turned out to be so far. The internal battery lasts a good two hours. And it’s not really an issue to have an external battery running into the power input connection.

When I asked about a replaceable battery, they tell me the cost would have rocketed. The camera is made form a single piece of aluminium and to do a removable battery, would have made the manufacturing a lot more complex. It’s on the to do list for down the road.

I don’t know the weight of the top of my head, but hefty for it’s size. Certainly heavier than a 5D.

i want to be realistic with rolling shutter. it’s about the same as other cameras in the same price range. No better and no worse that I can see.

The SSD formatting is deliberate, as a way of making sure you can’t erase anything accidentally.

syd thomas says: April 17, 2012 at 12:47 pm

does it have autofocus?

Reply -
    johnbrawley says: April 17, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Not yet, but that’s on the list of things it will ship with.

Arief B says: April 17, 2012 at 2:32 pm

I’m curious with frame rate option this camera offers. Does it offer above 60fps for slo-mo work?

Reply - johnbrawley says: April 17, 2012 at 9:42 pm

They really can’t troll yet exactly what the frame rate options will be. It’s more to do with the processing in the camera rather than the sensor. I believe the sensor is certainly capable of doing much higher frame rates.

Ian says: April 17, 2012 at 3:02 pm

John this is all very exciting cant wait to see more that you shoot with this. Curious if you know when it says EF lens compatible is that also includes EF-S lens in particular lens like the 17-55 EF-S f2.8 also is it capable in powering the IS on lens from Canon?

Reply - johnbrawley says: April 17, 2012 at 9:41 pm

The lens is powered but the current build I have doesn’t seem to activate IS. It does do IRIS at the moment. I think IS is coming….it should ship with it working i think.

david says: April 17, 2012 at 7:59 pm

there is at least one sdi evf out right now

http://cineroidstore.com/shop/step1.php?number=17

Reply - johnbrawley says: April 17, 2012 at 9:38 pm

Cool. That’s what I’ll be needing !

• I'll make strange prediction now.

I think this camera will be good in practice for the task it is made.
    But it'll become major disappointment for many who'll buy it.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev why that prediction ... im not a guy who buys hype but i cant see major problem with this camera... of course if someone expect arri alexa quality for 3000$ thats their problem ...

• Ordering one.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev (it'll become major disappointment for many who'll buy it)

that's why i like you ;) seeing it all in perspective. i'm interested to know the reasons you came up with.

• @rozroz

I just have a feeling looking at the information.

• I'm actually quite happy I don't have the money to purchase one right now, or else I would have. Hopefully by the time I save up enough, there will be more hands on reviews so that I can know for sure if its worth it.

• Vitaliy_K : " I'll make strange prediction now.

I think this camera will be good in practice for the task it is made. But it'll become major disappointment for many who'll buy it. "

I agree. As wonderful and revolutionary this camera will be, many users are misled. They assume shooting with it and processing the picture with included apps is a convenient shortcut into high quality video. RAW processing is not the only step in a good video - important step but not all. Preconception planning ( pun intended ) for Lighting, proper exposure, FVO, vantage point and rethinking it all over again for creating that final look and being OK with it all is just for the picture. If the picture and audio is not telling a compelling story no magic camera can make it a good picture - RAW or compressed.

With the YouTube video culture came a wave of DSLR shooters that happened to be in the same Market place that this camera is going to be offered. Many of those shooters and others are going to be staring at their computer screens loaded with a RAW footage in Davinci or UltraScope with a load " WTF " on their mind. These type of shooters are going to cause BMD a huge headaches.

Let's just hope for a balanced condition by giving BMD credit for what they have done. The Big 7+1 ( I am including RED ) sisters of corporate camera must go back to planning rooms and that's a good thing for us.

Thank you BlackMagic Design for doing this.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev in a strange way, you're responsible for spoiling the user base out there. Not much really impresses after what you've and others have accomplished with the GH1/2!!! It's hard to improve on the resolution and so there's only room left with functionality, Dynamic Range and Color. Those things tend to be less noticed right away. People tend to notice resolution and sharpness 1st and then people get into the other stuff.

I think this BMD Cinema Camera has so much potential because it's mostly about the software. I think any owner can expect updates to the function of the camera and it looks like a very safe investment. You can have this camera for your A cam and still afford other cams for things like a FF look or High frame rates. It's a really good option to form the core of a persons kit.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev "I think this camera will be good in practice for the task it is made. But it'll become major disappointment for many who'll buy it."

What task are you referring to? What do you believe is the purpose of this camera?

• Should i hope for a gh3 with raw video or start saving up for this ? i got some good glass for m43 so i'm not too much in a hurry of abandonning ship (:

• @all, Is the lack of m4/3 an issue, will our m4/3 lenses not cover the BMD sensor if we use EF>m4/3 adapter? We can hope that BMD will make adapter/software that allows electronics

• Should i hope for a gh3 with raw video or start saving up for this ? i got some good glass for m43 so i'm not too much in a hurry of abandonning ship (:

i don't think GH3 will have such a big leap as RAW. and not even GH4.

• Am I to understand that this uses Canon lenses right? Wouldn't the crop be really bad on certain lenses (using 50mm lens on m4/3 is bad enough!) I need to see more footage as the current videos don't really show anything exceptional.

• @rozroz, i don't see why people would buy the gh3 if it doesn't have this. what else can they so severly change that would make us buy the new gh ? these latest hacks are over the top.. I mean the sedna footage from driftwood is mindblowing..

• Perfect camera for shooting drama and well planed shots on documentaries.

I still see of course plenty of use for gh2 ( and future gh3) when it comes to run and gun doc shooting.

Hopefully gh3 won't need use legacy glass to look and intercut with BM

I'm also curious to see how this cam would perform with say a panny 20mm 1.7.

Maybe we will also have space to use cine lenses we couldn't with gh2, anyone knows sensonr - mount distance?

Loved their down to earth philoshophy and the fact that they are small and that they are working together with normal shooting people. just great!

• @klem007- keep in mind it's a consumer product only being prosumered by the hack. they don't really care to make it RAW. they could improve the codec, DR, etc.. up to a certain limit.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions