Personal View site logo
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 3: VY Canis Majoris, Mysteron, Sedna, Orion, Cluster...
  • 1046 Replies sorted by
  • @davidhjlindberg Love it!

Is that nostalgic you are shooting with natively? I'm using FDs, so I'm finding Smooth the best option, otherwise nostalgic bakes a little too much yellow in for me. Using Panny lenses though, I like nostalgic over smooth for skin tones....although a lot would disagree :-)

• Noise test for mysteron.

• @Tristan As everyone has said thus far. It has nothing to do with the hack. Luckily I discovered this in practice one day, which is why everyone does lots of tests. When shooting 720, if you plug in an HDMI cable, the mode switches to 1080i. If you look at the shooting mode on the camera, it switches from SH/H to FSH/FH.

• I had to import and export the test clip of mysteron. Not too bad!

• Maybe not relevant at this point though I'm using Orion v4b but here's a color grading test made in DaVinci Resolve.

Samyang 35mm 1.4 lens.

• That's interesting... uploaded a test to Vimeo, straight from the card just like I've done dozens of times and got: Uh oh!

There was a problem loading this video. There was a problem making the HD version of this video! Please review our compression guidelines.

Granted Vimeo is buggy as a rotten stump...but this is a first!

• As others mentioned, when plugging anything into the HDMI port you lose 720, and ex tele. Keep in mind that you also lose the punch in focus ability.

• Afaik there is no workaround. Plug in external monitor = loose 720p.

• Re: hdmi and 720p mode:

It was my understanding that you can't use an hdmi monitor when recording 720p or using ex tele. There might be "workaround" hacks but I think that is the source of your problem.

• @herbycamer Everything is shot in 24p. I did try the HBR 25p mode but 24p is much cleaner.

• Hey les Montrealais on se tournent un short?

• @Tristan @Lumixuser @Nomad Trying to clarify this. The HDMI port will output 1080i but the internal codec will still output the selected settings to the SD card - or has someone had a different experience on this point?

@Tristan Were you recording to the SD card as usual, just with different monitoring during filming? Did you confirm that you were in SH mode before you started filming each time? I am not saying you did not but want to make sure the issue is as clear as possible.

• @Tristan Until now, there was no success in hacking the HDMI port. This annoying behavior (switching to 1080i) is present in the original firmware too.

So why @lumixuser has no problems with the Zacuto VF?

• @Tristan Until now, there was no success in hacking the HDMI port. This annoying behavior (switching to 1080i) is present in the original firmware too.

• @xavieramelio Bravo ! Excellent début... pour un "débutant" :) Je suis à Montréal aussi à faire des test avec la GH2 et quelques patch de Driftwood...

• @Driftwood and all....

I think there are HDMI problems with the Sedna settings and was wondering if anyone else experienced them.

This was my first attempt at hacking the camera. I wanted to wait until it seemed stable with the new firmware. I did several Sedna 720p tests last weekend getting ready for an industrial video Wednesday through Friday. We wanted to do a lot of slowmo, which I hadn't done on the GH2. In my tests the footage was completely amazing. I was blown away. I looked at streamparser and verified I was getting what I should have been, plus did some slow motion tests in Premiere CS5.5.

I was pumpped and we went and shot all day Wednesday excited about what we were going to get. When we had a chance to review the footage Thursday however, we noticed that it was all 1080i!

I checked my settings over and over, and went through everything, and realized that even if I have all my settings correct, when I plug in my Zacuto EVF to the HDMI port, the camera seems to switch from my 720p setting to this 1080i crap. That is the only factor I didn't test the weekend before (my EVF). I've used the EVF with 1080p24 many many times, and haven't experienced any sort of switch like this. I had no idea this could happen and was caught completely off guard.

It is extra disappointing because I was shooting at 125 shutter for the 60p slow mo, so not only is it interlaced 1080i60, but the footage has that gladiator sharp-motion feel to it.

Has anyone else has experienced this switch when using an EVF or other kind of monitor plugged into the HDMI port. More importantly, since we've got more to shoot Monday, does anyone have a work-around?

• Have a look at a little 1 min doco for a competition I have entered. Shot on GH2 with Mysteron patch. Picture quality is great although of course Vimeo reduces it. Download original MP4 for Full HD version. Only problem spanning failed with my card as I knew it would. Was buttoning on and off when interviewing. However if you do go over the 4 min mark and recording stops card can't be read in FCPX. You can transcode outside but it corrupts the file structure so it doesn't see it as a camera archive.

• @AlexManta, mercie beaucoup pour les commentaires et les conseils. Aux scènes de danse: ISO 400, 50 mm Nikkor F/1.4

• @thepalalias thanks for the clarification. Yeah, I noticed that and set mine to just over 4 mins. Again, thanks for taking the time fit the explanation. Salud

• Hm, where do you see this? If I shoot GH2 and RED with the same fps and exposure time, motion looks quite similar. Are are you referring to HDRx and "Magic Motion" ?

• gh2 vs red : ok i know, one side there is the dynamic range and resolution, but what is it that the red lets look so filmlike in motion? gh2 quality is maybe close to the reds, but the motion is far away....

• @ Michiel_83. Very clean footage... and great city too. You seems to be a PAL user, did you shot 24P or HBR ? Thanks

• Video portions all Driftwood something mostly mysteron:

I do little 3 minute profiles of creative people that play on local public TV

• @Michiel_83 Excellent stuff, great shots, framing, and very good music choices. Now you got me wanting to go to Amsterdam.

• @AlfaErik The ZIP file contains two .INI files. One is Rocket, etc.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions