Personal View site logo
Official GH2 "Stalin" hack development topic
  • 939 Replies sorted by
  • There's some promising 720p stuff appearing on Vimeo - can't wait to see some 1080 stuff
  • Pal people it's thinking even about a good 50i, if 25p it's not possible!
  • Excellent!!!!

No idea why I'm saying this... but release the hounds!!!!! Get'em!!!!!!
  • Enough waiting, i'm getting my GH2 i sold a few months ago back again. Really need 25p though.
  • Spasibo, VK!
  • I'll be happy with 50i (PsF). Counting off the days till my "Made in Japan not China" GH2+14mm arrives from Taiwan...

The recent AVCHD setting developments are great news...well done!
  • Any sort of info regarding max recording size? (4 gig limit) Is this still going to be an issue for MJPEG (I understand that 30min is fixed - but don't know if the 4gig limit is impossible to fix)
  • Opposite i guess. Seems 30min can be fixed but 4gb should be harder since that is related to filesystem.
  • > Counting off the days till my "Made in Japan not China" GH2+14mm arrives from Taiwan…

Anything wrong with the GH2s from China? They're just assembled there, right
  • @vitaliy

Sorry for beeing a bit OT but what should be the official name for the GH2 with the hack now? I would suggest "GH23" or "GH2VK". What´s your idea?

VK: GH2 Stalin Edition :-)
  • Theres nothing wrong with "china made" models...its a silly internet myth.
  • It could be there is a difference, but it could also be sample variation.
  • Or could be just made up by some to make them feel their make/model is better than others? lol
    Anyways...
  • @alcomposer: 4 gig limit can never be hacked, because the file format that GH2 uses, does not work with files larger than 4 gb. But anyway, why does it bother you? as long as file spanning works, theres nothing to worry about, right? :)
  • @fatpig
    My understanding is that GH2 supports exFAT and SDXC. You can check how it works.
    But in no way it will allow easy >2Gb files (MJOEG, for example).
    As all code is 32bit and requires special handing for such files.
  • Hope you will do the same for the gf2. but it very good project you got here even if you don t!
  • Thanks Vitaliy Kiselev is the best!
  • "Or could be just made up by some to make them feel their make/model is better than others? lol"

Who knows...I use(d) 2 USA/China made GH13's and two Japanese made GH13's...all with same hack parameters. Hard to quantify but I prefer the image out of the latter bodies. Then there's the more relevant issue of quality control. One Chinese GH1 recently deceased...

I shoot a lot in remote overseas locations so myth or no myth I'm not taking any chances with my GH2's...

Getting off-topic so remove this if necessary...
  • """ My understanding is that GH2 supports exFAT and SDXC. You can check how it works.
    But in no way it will allow easy >2Gb files (MJOEG, for example).
    As all code is 32bit and requires special handing for such files. """

Yes it's seem a real advance! Exfat, aka fat64 specif:
    Max file size 64 ZiB, 512 TiB recommended
    Max volume size 64 ZiB, 512 TiB recommended
    Http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExFAT

So the 2m39 (if i good remembering) limit has completly bypassed, IF you buy sdxc card (sdhc will be formated in fat32 partition).
    For the hacked-mjpeg it will be very useful, but how about r/w speeding..?

For the moment i have found only one card that can match the 'old' sdhc class 10 speed... Panasonic...
    Http://panasonic.net/avc/sdcard/information/sdxc.html

All others can reach up to 25mbit/s (133x if i am correct...)
  • Lovely work Vitaly.

Any updates on 1080/25p? Us Europeaners are itchin for it
  • @fatpig @Vitaliy_Kiselev

File Spanning? There is no break between files - (Time Lost)?
    Sorry to ask easy question- my GH2 isn't here yet ;.-(
  • Great news here each days ! Thks ya all. Any idea or advice for a firmwrae limitation ,
    if i buy a GH2 now here in france should i verifiy the firmware version ?

• If you want best quality GH2 uncompressed 10 bit 4:2:2 video go here http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/hyperdeckshuttle/ firstly must tested with new VK firmware...

mk
  • No 10 bit 4:2:2 hdmi out so far...
  • I have a question regarding 8 bit banding. Are any of the other cameras, F3, AF100 etc 8bit? Do they have banding as well? Is the only solution 8+ bit?

And am I correct HDMI is limited to 8 bit. So no HDMI recorder will receive a signal greater than 8 bit via HDMI, even if I records it in 12 bit. No different than converting a jpeg to 16 bit in Photoshop. You don't gain anything.