Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official GH2 "Stalin" hack development topic
  • 939 Replies sorted by
  • Guys, be patient.
    Right now I am too busy with server.
    After this I'll need to add some things to PTool before release.
  • @Vitaliy

Hope everything goes well.
  • Your doing an incredible job Vitaliy!
    Donated a couple of months ago but sold my gh2 for af101. Definitly buy two gh2 and donate when hack has 1080 25p at high bitrates, 10bit and 1080p 50/60p. Or any of those : )

Good luck anyhow!

/Erik
  • We've been waiting for long time. It seems there are only a few more hurdles. Let's be more patient.
  • All is pretty ok, thanks.
    It looks like compression problems are solved.
    I hope to solve mail problems soon that causes no notices currently send.
  • Apologies if off topic but is the any chance of higher average bitrates on GH1, like 42Mbps with GH2? Many thanks.
  • @Ptchaw, it is my understanding that Frasier was shot on film, and that's usually 24fps even for TV shows (I believe eg. Star Trek Voyager was also shot on 24p film).

Either way, pitch correcting audio (without changing length) isn't flawless.
  • @_gl -- It's done on radio all of the time for many years now. You can't tell the difference.

@Mimirsan -- <*sigh* Im sure it would be different if some said "you can conform 25p to 24p" if there was no decent 24p on gh2 (see GH1 lol) its not a ideal solution.>

As far as I know this was done for many years also. When it came to standard definition cameras NTSC users liked using Pal cameras because of its slightly higher definition. I could always tell when it came to the resolution difference.
  • All problems solved.
    I'll be moving to PTool development today.
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Thank you for your hard work.
  • @_gl - for the uk tv version of our 16mm feature shot at 24 we pitched shifted the audio and the sped the film up. it has improved so much nowdays, the lead actors didnt even notice any audio shift, and all three of them are professional singers.
  • That's good news Vitaliy.
  • I've been wondering if there would be a way to force the GH2's encoder to always write video at it's native 28mb/s for the 24fps 1080p mode. The footage looks great when it's all exposed for... but damn, it really likes to throw away data once it see's underexposed/dark areas.

Of course, the 42mb/s second patch should take care of this... but the "constant 28mb/s" might be useful for people who aren't going to be doing heavy color grading, but still don't want the compressor throwing away data when it decides to drop to the 11-17mb/s range.
  • @Ian_T, I work in audio, try it on music some time. It can sound OK on voices or single instruments, it does not sound good on full-spectrum audio.
  • Please start a conforming 24p<->25p thread and keep this one on topic - thanks.
  • There's no need - the point is simply that some of us need true 25p, and others are happy with workarounds. Next.
  • >After this I'll need to add some things to PTool before release. <<br />
    @Vitaliy
    Can you tell us what "things" ?
  • @_gl

+1. Next.
  • Guys, I am as much hungry as you waiting for a great new features! But calm down a bit and and stop flooding Vitaliy with a questions "when and what". Im pretty sure he is doing what he can. Show some respect and patience please.
  • I think those when comment show total disrespect for Vitaliy, when should all be grateful that we have somebody who is taking so much time for doing this. We could witness a true revolution in terms of image quality for such a low price.
  • @danyyyel

I see a a lot of comments on this page thanking VK for everything he does. I don't see any that are disrespectful.
  • Actually it seems to stay in the nursery: everybody screaming when and what ;-)
  • Folks, I have to agree with valdi99, danyyyel, and others. I am anxiously waiting to have HDMI out working but I am willing to wait for Vitaliy to make that announcement rather than constantly asking for a progress report as he can work much faster if he is not innundated with our questions, many of which are redundant.

Please consider holding your questions for Vitaliy until he makes an announcement and asks for comments so he can spend his valuable time working on the project instead of answering our endless questions as he will make much more progress much faster if we allow him to work.
  • @Vitaliy

What happens when you select a resolution greater than 1920x1080 with the MJPEG settings? Does it crash? It looks like you have limited Ptool to 1920x1080 for the widescreen resolutions for MJPEG. Any chance you could remove that restriction for the next Ptool? I want to do some testing with the resolution settings for MJPEG. I am not entirely convinced that you cannot get true 1080p @ 30 FPS from the MJPEG settings.

Also could you add the widescreen 480p MJPEG settings to Ptool. If that is too much trouble I understand. However, I am willing to do the testing necessary to confirm whether that is true 1080p or not.

I have already got some completely stable 1080p @ 100+ mb/sec footage that looks better than the stock 1080p @ 24 FPS AVC-HD footage.