Personal View site logo
Official GH2 "Stalin" hack development topic
  • 939 Replies sorted by
  • @alcomposer: 4 gig limit can never be hacked, because the file format that GH2 uses, does not work with files larger than 4 gb. But anyway, why does it bother you? as long as file spanning works, theres nothing to worry about, right? :)
  • Or could be just made up by some to make them feel their make/model is better than others? lol
    Anyways...
  • It could be there is a difference, but it could also be sample variation.
  • Theres nothing wrong with "china made" models...its a silly internet myth.
  • @vitaliy

Sorry for beeing a bit OT but what should be the official name for the GH2 with the hack now? I would suggest "GH23" or "GH2VK". What´s your idea?

VK: GH2 Stalin Edition :-)
  • > Counting off the days till my "Made in Japan not China" GH2+14mm arrives from Taiwan…

Anything wrong with the GH2s from China? They're just assembled there, right
  • Opposite i guess. Seems 30min can be fixed but 4gb should be harder since that is related to filesystem.
  • Any sort of info regarding max recording size? (4 gig limit) Is this still going to be an issue for MJPEG (I understand that 30min is fixed - but don't know if the 4gig limit is impossible to fix)
  • I'll be happy with 50i (PsF). Counting off the days till my "Made in Japan not China" GH2+14mm arrives from Taiwan...

The recent AVCHD setting developments are great news...well done!
  • Spasibo, VK!
  • Enough waiting, i'm getting my GH2 i sold a few months ago back again. Really need 25p though.
  • Excellent!!!!

No idea why I'm saying this... but release the hounds!!!!! Get'em!!!!!!
  • Pal people it's thinking even about a good 50i, if 25p it's not possible!
  • There's some promising 720p stuff appearing on Vimeo - can't wait to see some 1080 stuff
  • Exciting times ahead!
  • Thats what I thought @Mark_the_Harp (due to 8bit) Just wondered if issue can be mitigated slightly with better compression. We shall see!
  • @EOSHD Just to re-roast that old chestnut, isn't fixing the banding on smooth tones (because of 8-bit depth) a function of dithering, not bitrate? I've done some experiments where the banding was much less on high-iso shots (because of sensor noise acting as dither, I believe).

However, I'm all for high bitrate if it gives a good quality increase in an efficient way...
  • >Btw, 422 patch do not work, so not so much use for big bitrates. Again, we need to look at whole MJPEG encoder to find change performed by Panasonic.

That'd be quite interesting, seeing the hardware-possibilities we have there...

Something else: HDMI-related questions are not only important because of external recording - for me, universal EX-tele availability is more relevant. So you may not need HDMI recording with ± 50 Mbit AVCHD; but I'd love to use EX-Tele mode, working with an external monitor, exactly this combination is really interesting for many purposes (like recording concerts in low light, where you want really fast telelenses, and a big screen, because it's hard to see in semi-darc scene anyway)
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev "Again, we need to look at whole MJPEG encoder to find change performed by Panasonic."

MJPEG mode is disabled when HDMI monitor connected, that might give a clue... seems HDMI and AVCHD encoder chip closely linked, and MJPEG is separate feed. Or maybe they just did this for standards compliance reasons.
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev

How is gradation, is there the same banding over smooth tones like in a blue sky we have with all 8bit AVC H.264 codec DSLRs or is that fixed by the higher bitrates?
  • I know it's not a priority for some, but any word on 1080/25p? Anxious pal users have fingers crossed..
  • Probably still an overload of visitors. That said, amazon S3 now supports domains. Upload a simple html website for it and the updated PTool there and you won't have to worry about too many visitors ever again.
  • VPS? Is it a hoster? Why don`t you release 3.61 independent of server transfer on here on this site?
  • >Any idea how long we will have to wait.

As I said, it depends not on me only.
    New PTool will be released only after we'll move forum and domain to VPS.
    Otherwise it'll be extremely sluggish thing :-)
  • @Isaac_B
    Yes, 30p. We need big time to understand how sensor, scaler and compresser are working together.

Btw, 422 patch do not work, so not so much use for big bitrates. Again, we need to look at whole MJPEG encoder to find change performed by Panasonic.