Personal View site logo
95MB/s Sandisk Extreme Pro cards
  • 242 Replies sorted by
  • Just did 3 days of shooting with Sanity for 1.1. Shooting in HBR 30p with Lumix lens auto focus, sometimes full auto. On 64g 95mb/s had several recordings just stop for no apparent reason with no message. Sometimes it was during a quick zoom and right at the point it should've spanned. Weird.

• @yeehaanow Patch problem, the bitrate is too high at point of spanning. I have done death chart torture tests and many patches survive with spanning while some others don't that regularly span in more static shots.

• I can't find any info on Sandisk 64Gb Class 6 30MB/s as in the top right corner. Is it for real or just a mockup?

9863240419.jpg
    546 x 546 - 50K
  • @yeehaanow

Ok... If you want 'any' sort of auto features with a setting, and spanning look at flowmotion with the 95mb. I have tested it and currently it's the only setting that spans with auto camera settings.

Test it out! Otherwise you need to set everything to manual.

• Testing of the 32-GB 95 MB/s Extreme Pro card shows that it is faster than the old 30 MB/s HD video cards in the GH2. I found it to be more stable and span at higher bit rates in HBR mode.

The 64-GB card is supposed to be even faster, but it suffers from the "file limit exceeded" error message.

• The tiny speck of glimmer which resembles hope is the fact that they are not labeling it UHS-I. I heard others saying UHS-I was the problem, and during my return ordeal with Sandisk over my 16gb 45MB/s card they kept eluding to UHS-I being the issue or rather potentially incompatible with my camera to achieve maximum UHS-I write speeds. Perhaps they have simply ditched the label to sell overstock, or perhaps this is a great deal on a 64GB card with speed, and dare I say spanning?

All that said if you buy it and need to return it, 3 months later they finally sent my new 95MB/s card out two days ago, despite receiving the old one 2 months ago. Not harping, just saying as much as I would like to see someone test the 64GB 45 MB/s card, it needs to be someone that can afford to deal with a lengthy return should it just be another lemon.

• @mee You see that little U with a 1 in it on the left of the card??? That is UHS-1 mark...

• @oscillian a bit late, but it is real http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/844763-REG/SanDisk_SDSDU_064G_A11_64GB_SDXC_Memory_Card.html Also a very very tempting deal since the new Orion patch seems to span on my 8gb 30MB/s card.

• @alcomposer I see, so it is. Bummer. Truthfully, I am holding out for the 64gb 95 MB/s cards price drop, but the 64gb 30 MB/s card is soooo tempting at that price. I will be broke for a few more months, so we will see what fate has in store when I can actually afford something for myself.

• 64 95mb is not really that expensive when you take into account cost of camera ownership etc... And at the end of the day no matter what you do its a 'large' card... I really don't know how film makers are supposed to shoot 'RAW' with data rates exceeding 800Mb's. If I were shooting a feature (or anything really) that would add up easily to 5TB a day... whoa!

• @mee The BnH card is Class 10. The one in my picture is Class 6. So the verdict is still out... Genuine or fake?

• @oscillian http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/843343-REG/SanDisk_SDSDRH_064G_A11_64GB_SDXC_Memory_Card.html

@alcomposer Oh I know, it's just I am seriously broke, literally have 13 yen to my name right now. That's YEN !!

• @rikyxxx, to answer your question about the 95 MB/s UHS cards: why would there be any benefit to using a fast UHS card in the GH2 if the GH2 doesn't support UHS?

It's kind of like asking if there is any difference between a Ferrari and a Toyota if you can only drive the speed limit. The car's top speed is just one performance metric, and not necessarily the one that makes any difference to a particular driving scenario.

The GH2 supports HS mode, and all of the cards that we use in our GH2s support HS mode at the same bus speed. Even if the card's buses can operate at the same speeds, there are lots of internal performance differences between the cards, like how quickly they can finish a data write of a particular size and free the bus for the next write, or how quickly they can finish a series of data writes of some sizes. That seems to be the difference for why some cards can span with certain encoder settings and bit rates, and other cards cannot.

• So if I understand correctly, the GH2's top limit is the High Speed mode, which is 25 MB/s (200mbps) (50 MHz x 4 bits bus)?

@alcomposer @mee to be more specific: the little U with the 1 in it means it is UHS class 1, meaning that minimum write speed of the card is 10MB/s at the UHS bus-speed. The capital i (next to the SDXC logo) means that is supports ultra high bus speeds of 100 or 208 MHz, so that the maximum speed of the card might be higher then 25 MB/s.

@balazer @rikyxxx Knowing that cards supporting ultra high bus speeds are only of use if the cards maximum speed is > 25 MB/s, hopefully these cards do have higher maximum write speeds, which also might mean that they have higher avarage speeds that are getting closer to the 25MB/s. Isn't it?

Where can I find some more information on what happens when the camera is spanning? I understand that the problem is with writing blocks that are smaller then 64KB. Does it clear it's buffer first, before buffering the new file (hence writing two files for a short period) or am I way off?

Also I was wondering, as the GH2 supports SDXC (extended capacity) out of the box, some users say the cards are formatted as exFat by the camera. Is this really true? Because if it is, I have two questions:

• did anyone already have problems with the fact that it only uses one allocation table instead of two?
    • as exFat supports files bigger then 4 GB, why is the GH2 using spanning on those cards?
  • @balazer

I think I got it, thanks.

• Dirk, the card's maximum or average write speed is not necessarily what matters for the GH2 and spanning. Spanning probably has to do with how quickly the card does something, but what that something is is hard to define, and may even be a complicated thing like a specific series of things with specific timing. Without special tools to monitor the GH2's internals or the SD card bus, it's very hard to know what's really going on.

I'm guessing that the GH2 spans to maintain compatibility with the AVCHD standard, independent of the file system's maximum file size.

• @balazer. Got it. Thanks!

• I'm going to ask a stupid question here since I am not sure if it has been brought up:

Comparing the Sandisk 32GB 95MB card to the Sandisk 64GB 95MB card is the filesystem.. The SDXC card uses exfat.

Could it be that the SDXC card is spanning due to exfat supporting larger than 4Gig files and thus not even needing to span?

Does anyone know if spanning will always happen even if the card is exfat?

Has anyone tested spanning on a slower Sandisk SDXC 45MB card?

• No, the GH2 doesn't use exFAT.

• Ok Hi there everyone so after reading a lot, i have some questions.

What is the highest tested bitrate that the 32Gb 95Mb/s can handle with spanning working, and no errors?

And what is the highest tested bitrate that the 32Gb 45Mb/s can handle with spanning working, and no errors?

Can you please advise on what better quality patch to work error free on any of above cards?

And last how much footage (min) can i fit on those cards, using the recommended patches?

Thanks a lot to all of you spending hours testing, and sharing your time and knowledge to all of us?

• @leonbeas It is not just a matter of bitrate, each setting (Sedna, Orion, Mysteron) is different, and each mode (24H, SH, FSH, HBR) is different. Also, for anything but 24H, 80%, 200%, 300%, the results may be different for PAL and NTSC.

Here is a look at some recent spanning tests I did with a Delkin 16GB 95MB/s and a SanDisk 64GB 95MB/s. The performance of the cards you listed should be closer to the Delkin 16GB. http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/56746#Comment_56746

In terms of spanning in 24H mode, unless you have a 64GB SanDisk 95MB/s, I would try the next set down (Rocket, SpanMyBuV2, Picturis) to see. I have used Sanity 3.1 and SpanMyBU v1 for that in the past but haven't needed many shots that spanned more recently.

• This 64GB 95MB/s SDXC card spans my Sanity 4.1 vids in 24H mode!

This was not happening with 32GB 45MB/s SDHC SanDisk. So here, me happy! :)

95mbs-64gb.jpg
    300 x 300 - 19K
  • So even if i want to go for example eosHd 88 unified you recommend 64GB 95Mb/s card.

My only concern apart from price is that I believe its better to loose 32Gb of data due to whatever may happen, than 64GB. Did you have any problem with the sandisk SD cards?

• @leonbeas When I have data for both the cards I mentioned above with EOSHD 88, I will let you know. My guess is that the SanDisk 32GB 45MB/s would perform somewhat similarly to the Delkin 16GB 95MB/s (with the latter performing slightly better). If it works on that Delkin card, there is a decent chance it could work on the 32GB 45MB/s.