Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
95MB/s Sandisk Extreme Pro cards
  • 242 Replies sorted by
  • I ordered the SanDisk 64GB SDXC Memory Card Extreme Pro and used it a wedding recently. I hit the record button trying to capture a shot and I got this message "CANNOT RECORD. FILE NUMBER EXCEED LIMIT" I was like oh crap. I hit the record button a couple more times but it wouldn't record. So I ran and switched over to the SanDisk 32GB 30MB card and started recording again. But I missed the shot. This File Number Exceed Limit issue is really disappointing. I thought this card was going to give peace of mind while using the hack. I used sanity hack and it still has issues with video playback. Told my friend to buy this card as well and now I got to warn him about that file number exceed limit isssue.

Does this file number exceed limit error come with all hack patches or just certain ones? Anyway to avoid this error message other then that method of recording a short clip afterward a 30 minute recording time(?) before turning the camera off?

• Yeah, that'll happen. As far as anyone knows, the "File Number exceed limit" error affects all 64-GB cards, and probably all SDXC cards, independent of hacking. It was enough of an issue for me that I developed encoder settings specifically to perform well and span with the slower cards. The 32-GB 95 MB/s card is the fastest card that doesn't suffer from the issue, and it's the one I recommend.

FAQs answered all. You were warned. http://www.personal-view.com/faqs

• so you don't have to guess and dig for the actuall FAQ

http://www.personal-view.com/faqs/gh2-hack/gh2-hack-faq

• hmm.. it seems my friends card is not giving him that same error after 30 minutes of recording. so its a faulty card?

• @humpman are you sure you are using a card reader capable of the maximum speed for the card?

• I get this issue sometimes, but there's no clear pattern as to when it will happen. I'd estimate that it happens on about 1/4 of my shoots that involve more than 10 minutes of shooting and 5 start/stop cycles. It's a good reason to always carry around some extra cards, and maybe to use more smaller cards on shoots where you don't need extended recording time.

edit -- I use a 64Gb 95Mb/s card.

• I'm having issue with my MBP not reading the 64Gb/95mbs card. I noticed it also mentioned earlier in the thread. What USB reader are you guys using with your Macbook Pros that will read this? I'm on SnowLeopard. Thanks.

• It would help it you told us which model you had. My MBP (MacBookPro6,2) reads the 64GB card with no problems.

Also, make sure you have the latest OS update. I believe the support for SDXC was added in 10.6.4.

• @Mr_Moore: Thanks so much! I had 10.6.3 and updated to 10.6.8 and the card is readable. I thought i had to buy a new card reader but the update did the trick. For some reason, smaller and slower SanDisk cards were readable but not the 64gb/95mbs.

• Sixty-four GB (and larger) cards use exFAT for the file system. Apple added support for exFAT in 10.6.4. In other words, it’s not specific to your card, but rather to any medium formatted as exFAT.

Anyway, I’m glad it all worked out for you!

• @Loganm187

I don't think any of us know if the "file number limit exceeded" problem with SDXC cards happens with unhacked cameras. No examples of it have been reported here, but it's very unlikely that a person would use an expensive 64-GB card with an unhacked camera, as the bit rates are so low as to not require such a large card. My guess is that the hacking has nothing to do with the error.

The problem happens some percentage of the time after you have recorded long enough to span. It doesn't matter how long you record or how many clips you've recorded.

It's a problem that you just need to work around. If you can't trust yourself to always record a short clip after spanning, then keep some extra memory cards with you just in case. Or use 32-GB cards.

Cake is designed for spanning, and it does so reliably. You can record for as long as you want. I can't promise that nothing will go wrong, but it has worked well for a lot of people.

• So I won't have to worry about how long I record as long as I just record a few second clip after a large one and then turn off the unit, right? I will be doing some extensive tests later this week before the event.

• Has anyone else had problems reformatting this card? I've had the 64GB one for less than a month and it recently started acting up. At first, I thought it was the hacks I used being too much for it - typical problems - but when I tried to format it on the camera or on my Mac, it says the attempts fail.

"Unable to write to the last block of the device."

• Try SDFormatter. If that doesn't help, your card may be a case for warranty.

• Tried that already, nomad. I was hoping it wouldn't have to come to that, but I don't think I have a choice. Thanks for your help!

• I read about problems reading these cards on computer. I'm having the same problem: I need to extract one hour of invaluable clips on this card. I tried two pc with xp and w7 and two different reader and Both says that the card must be formatted. Everything is fine in camera. Do you confirm it's only a problem of reader?

Thank you

• My card SDXC 64Gb Extreme 45MB/s not working at hack "Driftwood 176mbs" in 1080i60 FSH and HBR !!! Working in 1080p24 H )) What's the problem? My card is slow? Please help !!!

Used hack with GOP3 not satisfied with the result :(

Which use card for hack high-bitrate GOP1 for 1080p30 and 1080i60 ? Thanks

• Ive got a san disk extreme pro 95 MBps and its showing 23MBps on crystal mark and other software for speed testing - I am using USB 2 on my PC and and new USB 3 card reader - is this proof of a fake? Or possibly a label was swapped between a pro and a non pro to make mine look better? Thanks!

• @janders312 Some hacked settings work better with those modes than others. The best card to use for all the hacks is the SanDisk 64GB 95MB/s. Not at all hacked settings require it, but it has the lowest risk of having any problems.

Look through Driftwood's newer thread for better settings that might work. It mentions what shooting modes work well in the description.

@vtablix Not necessarily proof of fake. Have you tried doing shooting tests with the more demanding settings and comparing your experiences to those in the Driftwood thread?

• @thepalalias Hmmm it is weird that 23MBps is the speed of the sandisk extreme see here: http://jalada.co.uk/2012/06/25/transcend-16gb-vs-sandisk-extreme-32gb-sdhc-card.html

I am stunned you say a 95MBps card doing 23MBps is normal :O ! Its 2 MB faster than my cheapo crap card - what was the point in me buying this?! I am almost certain they have taken a cheap sandisk card and put a extreme pro label on it surely?! Unless you can tell me what why it would be doing this slow speed? Your thinking its the USB 2? Not tried more demanding settings but I kind of think I know what will happen :S ...Thanks!

• @vtablix My exact wording was "not neceassarily proof of fake". I spent a lot of time beta testing and debugging for tech companies and small businesses and one thing I learned is that there are more ways for things to go wrong or for data to end up skewed than you can shake a stick at. :)

All I am saying is, the sutained data transfer rate is only one indicator of performance (though a helpful one) and if you are using the cards primarily for taking videos with the GH2, then the only way to completely avoid skewed data is by testing with that very application.

For example, we have had different results from two cards verified from the same manufacturer and with same specs safe for capacity. Both perform differently. You can see that in the table I mentioned earlier.

Anyway, if you have poor luck with the GH2 (as in not getting the same results as others shooting with the same settings and the same card in the same mode) then I would think it is a fake. Based on what you told me, there just is not enough data and we would have to spend a lot of time ruling out other variables to be sure. :)

• @thepalalias Siigh nothings ever simple or works at the stated levels eh! I guess the only way to be sure is to grab a USB 3 PCI-e card tmrw up town and make sure I know this SD cards proper speed :( ...

• @vtablix I normally test settings/cards by grabbing the fastest manual focus lens I can and shooting at controlled test subject with controlled light (so either a dark room with artificial light or at night with artificial light) at f/4 or f/5.6. Painting are especially useful if you can focus in on the canvas texture.

But a really helpful control (in your case) would be if there were anybody in you area that had used a similar card with good results. If you could borrow their card and test both using whatever testbed you mentioned earlier, then you could get a reference for how a properly functioning one should perform and see if this one performend noticeably lower.

Remember that the bitrate for most demanding settings right now is somewhere in the vicinity of 150 mbps (some a bit more, some a bit less) so a datarate of 160mbps (20MB/s) could be enough depending on how much worse the card gets in worst case scenarios (and how big the spikes can get).

In other words, the card (as tested) seems like it could potentially exceed your needs. Also remember that UHS-I support is required to fully exploit the highest speeds these cards can offer. The GH2 does not have thta but the GH3 promises to in the official specs. In other words, on the GH2 the minimum performance will prove more important than the average performance.

Good luck, and yes I agree: nothing tends to be as simple as one might hope. :)

• @thepalalias Sound the trumpets - it was the USB 2 slowing it down! I did not realise USB 2 ran at 23MBps sometimes! Wow that is awful! Its got a theoretical speed of 60MBps but I read online it supposed to be going at at least 40MBps :( .

Ok so I got this as my true readings of my extreme pro 95MBps with USB 3 (see attachment) I am no expert but that feels like all is fine yes? I never expected 95 and after learning about ratings 76MBps is good enough for now for any of the low level hacks I am trying by far surely?!

So I am assuming something is wrong with my software or hardware on the camera - I have not heard of anything that could cause this in hardware terms so its the software then I guess?

I did buy it second hand so I have no idea what the previous owner did but it was on 1.1 original firmware when I got it. I am back on the original firmware via ptools with no settings clicked - so I hope its reset something. I will now try a hack again from fresh and see what happens...thanks...

extreme pro crystalmark.jpg
    415 x 391 - 75K
  • @thepalalias Yep just tried fresh version of all software - ptools and sanity V5 settings and on second video again it said recording stopped due to card not being fast enough - fek! I was in 12800 iso color when it froze and auto shutter I think. I hava no idea why :( ...am I just being a noob and not knowing about a fact like some settings will crash the camera how ever fast the sd card or something?

Edit: adding a stream parser file of a black and white movie at 128000 iso with sanity V5 High bit rate. I dont know how to use this program but do you see any thing that might help? Obviously that one didn't crash - all the crashed ones are 0k and unable to use.

stream parser test footage.jpg
    1287 x 669 - 220K