Personal View site logo
Official GH2 "Stalin" hack development topic
  • 939 Replies sorted by
  • @Vitaliy

Thanks for the explanation. Now I really want the next Ptool release. Any idea how long we will have to wait. I have some time tonight and tomorrow and I would love to do some tripod testing with each individual setting.
  • >Plus you must remember much better SD controller, so people get 160-180Mb/s MJPEGs with fast cards.

That is fantastic news. Is the MJPEG still hardcoded to 30P? Or any possibility to change that to 24P? That high bit-rate would be great for green-screen.
  • >Are you really seeing that much improvement on the GH2 for the 1080p @ 24 FPS mode?

It is be better in high detailed scenes and if you use high ISO, os it preserves noise accurately.
    GH2 42Mp is much better, not because of B frames (so multiply by 1.3x GH1 bitrate), but also because of better motion estimation and better codec bitrate correction (so, it won't drop that much as in GH1).
    Plus you must remember much better SD controller, so people get 160-180Mb/s MJPEGs with fast cards.
  • "I wouldn't expect the GH2 to be that much better in terms of overall image since 40 mb/sec and above on the GH1 was pretty close to perfect anyway."

Yes, but I thought the GH2 produces a bit better picture, so with a higher bit rate I could only imagine the GH2 should be even better!
  • @mpgxsvcd Remember GH1 had no b-frames, 40Mbit+ was necessary just to get rid of the compression mud. GH2 has better scaler, better compression efficiency, better sensor... 40Mbit will be great in AVCHD on the GH2
  • @Vitaliy

I wouldn't expect the GH2 to be that much better in terms of overall image since 40 mb/sec and above on the GH1 was pretty close to perfect anyway. Are you really seeing that much improvement on the GH2 for the 1080p @ 24 FPS mode?
  • Yoooohooo I am so relieved, I have been a bit wary with the failure of the first batch of test with the 24p output that Panasonic had had left some bad surprise in case the gh2 was hacked. That will be really incredible, great job Vitaliy.
  • >Does the GH2 benefit more from the hack than the GH1 does?

GH2 hack will be far ahead from GH1, of course.
  • @Vitaliy

So what is your opinion so far? Does the GH2 benefit more from the hack than the GH1 does?
  • This charts are for low light medium detailed scene.
  • Congratulations, that looks amazing. May I ask how is the bit rate for 1080/24 in low light setting?
  • Again, nice work!
  • Fantastic!
  • "I just tested the following modes:
    1080p24
    80% slow, 160% high.
    1080i50
    All showed average bitrate at about 42Mbps. No hangs encounted."

Very good news! Is there still a need to shoot a short 1080p clip to get 720p50/60 working? Thanks for all your effort!
  • @stefanos

I'm just a loyal Nikon shooter watching out for my peeps ;-)
  • I know this may be early, but let's start passing the beers around.... great news Vitaliy!
  • Vitaly,

I don't know how u do it - but keep on! Incredible!!!
  • I just tested the following modes:
    1080p24
    80% slow, 160% high.
    1080i50
    720p50

Only four patches had been used for each, two existing - Bitrate (set at 42Mbps) and Video Buffer (with increase to 0x2800000), and two present in upcoming release.

All showed average bitrate at about 42Mbps. No hangs encounted.

1080i50 got free B frames other than bitrate increase (with no encoder options touching!):

720p50:

1080p 80% slow as I remember
    streamtest1.png
    795 x 182 - 8K
    streamtest2.png
    791 x 178 - 7K
    streamtest3.png
    802 x 159 - 7K
  • StreamParser requires .NET Framework 4. It sounds like that got messed up. StreamParser will go get it if it is missing, but it has no way to detect whether it got corrupted. You might try reinstalling the .NET Framework which you can get at http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=17851.

Also you might try uninstalling and reinstalling StreamParser.

Chris
  • @valdi99 Use StreamParser topic. Chris will be able to answer you.
  • >Even better. Looks like photo.
    This is the most amazing news. High bitrates/low compression in the already good 24p is all this camera needs to be supercharged. Screw the hassles/expenses of hdmi recorders.
    @last_SHIFT don't bother arguing that:) let them live happily in their fake super-flat, super-soft, super-saturated, super low-res little world
  • Sorry if I am posting in a wrong place, but what system components (Win XP) do I need to run StreamParser? I've installed it first with no problem but then I had to restore my system to an earlier sys. restoration point (not beacuse of StramParser) and now it don't install saying there is some sys component missing...
  • Vitaliy,
    Improved bit rate for 1080p24 is really great news!
    Thank you and everyone for their hard work on this project!
  • @Vitaly may we please have the settings so that we may test the stability of the 1080 24p 42Mbps.