Personal View site logo
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 1: v3b Rocket - v4b Orion - v5 β Pictoris
  • 1019 Replies sorted by
  • @driftwood Could you please help me with this... I have many class 10 trancend cards and they are all crashing. V2 rocket FH settings was fine untill v3 was upped to 72000000. Can I change the FH setting back to 36000000. Thanks

--- earlier posted @driftwood Hi there, a quick question regarding V3 Rocket for GF2 - the earlier settings (v2) was FH/H=36000000 and now 72000000.

If I just want 44000000 or 36000000 maximum as it suits my requirement.. would it be okay, I mean is it going to be compatible with your matrix. Thanks in advance

• @kitano Quantum X v5 'ß Pictoris' should go somewhere towards helping you. It will be released shortly. It has been tested on a variety of cards inc. 32Gb Transcend. Fingers crossed it will work for you.

• @driftwood I'm happy with the current matrix tbh. Adapting to it hasn't been as difficult as I figured it would be so I'm game to see what we'd get if you pushed the luma blocks a bit more.

• Work begins on 'Thee Matrix' once Quantum X v5 'ß Pictoris' is uploaded shortly.

• @Driftwood First of all: I really appreciate all your hard work! Regarding your question, I rather use your matrix to make full use of the settings in the camera instead of always reducing sharpness to -2. Suddenly my Panny glass became usable again. Even if I own lots of great vintage lenses (Rokkor and Russians), there are situations where I need some stabilization or even push-focus. You brought that back to me. Being used to RED cameras at work (the GH2 is my own pretty little baby), I rather use mild sharpening in post when grading (if I need any). It's much better to decide on that after grading instead of having it imposed on me from the start. Footage with your matrix grades very well for 8 bit, and normally I don't even need sharpening once I nailed contrast and color. Plus, I'm doing a lot of available light or situations where I don't have the time to fumble with filters. A few custom settings and I'm very quick with the camera. Conclusion: Yes, please, optimize your matrix and you make all doc style folks very happy, I'd say.

• pop24 February 29, why ????

• Hey guys, first post for me here - thought this could be interesting - I had a chance to test the c300 and it was 5 minutes after I loaded the Orion v4 setting - did a bit of grading on the c300 in the first part, gh2 footage is out of the camera - in the second part I wanted to see what happens if I push the RGB curve up to see how well the shadow detail was and what happens to the codec in blacks...

Will have to research some more to get a flatter image.. any suggestion is welcome.

• @driftwood many thanks for your response, I appreciate your good work. Cheers. ... Forgot to mention, I am using GF2 and FH settings (for lower bitrate)

• @driftwood Quantum X v5 'β Pictoris' (baby Quantum X) VBR & CBR versions 'Settings' for ptools 3.64d - Release 01/03/2012>>

Good news!

• @Oblikovalnik That Vimeo thread is going to cause some war of words...!

• @ driftwood and deservedly so - your work will cause it - thanks again, great work

• A bit off topic, i know but @pwc: first CC is pretty impressive. Just curious, you say it's done after the Automated ColorGrading app...Can you please share the original reference you chose to grade matching on your first pic?

Thnx a lot.

• @Oblikovalnik how did you handle .mts files? To get footage more flat: have you tried to convert with 5DtoRGB with gamma 1.8?

• I'm looking for the 2 zip files of the Quantum X v5 'β Pictoris' patch but couldn't find them. Could someone please point me in the right direction? Thank you

• *** NEW **** Baby version of Quantum X

Driftwood Quantum X v5b and 5c 'ß Pictoris' CBR and VBR versions NOW AVAILABLE from page one of the Quantum thread. Exciting new hybrid matrix of Panasonic's GH2 and Panasonic's AVC-Intra. New GOP6 and GOP9 on 720p50/60 structures utilising B frames. Rebuilt 'GOP Related' settings for correct b frames under 720p with Encoder 1 720 =3 correlation. Looks good on initial test. All settings should work including EX Tele and spanning. multi-tested on @stray 's death colour chart.

NOTE: There are four versions available of this setting. Each labelled ver5b ("b") constant bitrate CBR style and the other VBR variable bitrate according to detail with v5b new hybrid matrix of Orion meets Panny GH2 matrices and the other two versions ver5c ("c") enjoying the Orion only matrices on VBR / CBR.

Enjoy!

Nick

Driftwood Quantum X v5c 'ß Pictoris' CBR-VBR - Orion matrix pack.zip
    Driftwood Quantum X v5b 'ß Pictoris' CBR-VBR - Hybrid matrix pack.zip
  • @Mike_C They're up now. :-)

• @driftwood

You're too good to be true!!!

;-)

• @driftwood Thanks a bunch for all the hard work! 'ß Pictoris' just in time for my shoot on the 2nd. Rock-n-roll!

• Driftwood, hiw big difference in quality have uou seen between your latest Pictoris and the Orion? Does Pictoris span on 30 mbs sandisk cards?

Thank you so much!

• @Adde Hard to measure quality really, even though Orion is double the bitrate, for a lot of scenes 75M is more than enough. This has been primed for all-round use but still great quality. try it.

• Quiky with Driftwood Quantum X v5 'ß Pictoris' CBR.
    i have a strange grain, it look like a wave off horizontal grain, iff they all belong to a group...
    I did a same quiky with Driftwood Quantum X v5 'ß Pictoris' VBR...
    Its is the same.

Nostalgic -2 +2 -2 -2
    HBR 25p
    iso 160
    shutter 1/100
    WB Kelvin 5600

Renderd to DNxHD 1080p 25fps 60mb/s (Pictoris' VBR)

Still uploading

Naamloos.png
    1260 x 683 - 442K
  • @Mozes Thanks for the feedback - Its different than others. Don't forget if you don't like the matrix you can copy Orion's matrix from all the scaling table values into 'ß Pictoris' and save. Or, uncheck the scaled matrices to just enjoy camera's own matrices. try and let me know which you prefer.

Remember, its early days on matrices... I will be concentrating a large proportion of my time on new matrixes from now on.

UPDATE: Just realised I left the deblocking on from a previous trial. Please uncheck ALL deblocking on Pictoris and resave. An updated version of the patches will be up shortly.

Driftwood Quantum X v5b 'ß Pictoris' CBR-VBR - Hybrid matrix pack.zip
    Driftwood Quantum X v5c 'ß Pictoris' CBR-VBR - Orion matrix pack.zip
  • @driftwood thank you for the new Pictoris patch. perfekt work!

• @driftwood thx.... will try to uncheck the scaled matrices..
    ad the moment just not enough power in the batterie... :(

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions