Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 1: v3b Rocket - v4b Orion - v5 β Pictoris
  • 1019 Replies sorted by
  • what are the max clip lengths you can get Orion 24p and HBR?

Are people able to span an entire card?

• @driftwood I tried a clean install on a completely separate computer, downloaded latest ptools, fresh GF2 firmware, downloaded latest Orion. Copied the setb and seth file directly to the ptools directory, I even ran as administrator but I still get that rouge P-frame that won't allow 720p to work correctly. Nevertheless, 1080i works amazingly, I think I will just stick to 1080.

• Just asking: Very pleased with Orion but I do have to turn in 30fps work, the broadcasters in this area have made it the new standard. I realize that most of the development is done for a PAL enviroment and that 30 frames is a lot more than 25 frames in the HBR mode, Is it possible that I get fails in HBR because the "settings" in HBR are made for 25 not 30. (HBR does work with Rocket, not span my or Orion)? Could you look at this for those of us on the wrong side of the pond. As it is now I am either shooting MJPEG or 24fps and conforming in VirtualDub after converting in Cineform to get that sweet look that only Orion seems to bring. I suppose what I'm pondering is if a group of settings is optimized for HBR PAL will they fail with HBR NTSC?

• @royfel

Did u change cam to ntsc?

• It comes that way

• @mhun

If you have the gh2 set to manual (M) mode you have full control of shutter and aperture. Check that you have not got the LCD in menu set to A* (automatic). Set it to 1, 2 or 3 (for brightness) depending on your preference.

• Hi All!

This is the very first time, I'm posting my test results. So forgive allmy beginners faults. =D But anyways, I shot today some test shots using Driftwood Quantum X 'SpanMyBitchUp' v2b hack. My idea was to shoot same object using 24p, HBR, and Manual Movie Mode (1080i, 720p and Mjpeg) just to see the difference in image quality. Then I did second run of shots by moving the camera around - just to see how each preset handles the motion.

So my first impressions are that there is very little if any differences in image quality between 24p and HBR(25). Both looked very good in daylight. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I convert mts-files to ProRes4X4 in 5DtoRGB and used gamma 1.8(flatter). What also impressed me was how much better cinematic motion is in all settings. Thats crucial for me, if I'm doing handheld or shoulder mount shots. Gonna try Orion and Rocket next.

Just wan't to thank VK, Nick and all the people testing! Next time I get my paycheck, it's donation time. =)

BR, misterj

PS. I've tried Orion-patch but will run in problems when shooting 1080i (FSH). My card is Sandisk(95mps).

EDIT:

00000flat.png = 24pH / 00001flat.png = HBR / 00002flat.png = MMM 1080i FSH / 00003flat.png = MMM 720p SH / 00004flat.png = MMM Mjpeg HD

Kit Lens 14-42 mm and Film mode smooth -2 -2 -2 -2.

00000flat.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    00001flat.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    00002flat.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    00003flat.png
    1280 x 720 - 758K
    00004flat.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    00000flat.png
    673 x 445 - 89K
    00001flat.png
    673 x 453 - 90K
    00002flat.png
    672 x 449 - 89K
    00003flat.png
    690 x 449 - 96K
    00004flat.png
    667 x 441 - 87K
  • @cafeteriacarlos sorry for later reply. The L setting on Quantum Orion looks good to my eyes for long interviews (and reality is if I'm on those shots for more than a few seconds anyway, I haven't done my job and shot enough b-roll!).

If I was only doing a shoot with sit downs and staticty shots I'd probably just use rocket at H as the adaptive bit rate probably works out to L. But for the moment I've got too much movement in my B roll to risk it dropping out (pans, slider shots, etc). Of course correct me if I'm wrong and Rocket can now handle that fine as Orion.

Okay, back to the everglades. Wood stork full frame with the 100-300 flew right at the camera yesterday. Love it when critters know how to act like that!

• Could the matrix affect dynamic range. Most of the shot I see have very nice (low contrast) to them, very filmic. Now it could be because of the softer winter light etc, but just asking.

• Low light test with quantum x v3b. Only home lightning, no grade or post, just catch a moment.

• @MisterJ I can't believe those are stills from video. Just incredible.

• [GH2] Driftwood Quantum X - v4b Orion with Sandisk Extreme HD Video 30MB/s 16GB cards:

24H records up to the 4GB limit, which I seem to recall (deleted the file early in testing) is a little over 5 minutes. I've had 4 minute record times in the past, so that's no problem. Total record time possible on the card is just over 13 minutes.

24L spans perfectly, at least with relatively static shots - the sort of interview shot I'd need spanning for. Total record time possible on the card is just over 26 minutes.

24H and L are both able to record death charts with no problem (haven't tried spanning with them, though) and playback in-camera perfectly.

What I found most interesting is that Vegas 9 (yup, I'm a bit behind) and VLC 2.0.0 play the 24H footage no problem, but struggle a bit with the first 24L clip in a spanned set, and struggle quite a bit with the following 24L clips in a spanned set. VLC likes to freeze on the first frame of a 24L 2nd-4th spanned 24L clip, and Vegas runs at a snail's pace.

I haven't yet investigated why, but once I get an old project in Vegas 9 cleared off my computer and upgrade to 11, I'll see if that solves it. Otherwise I'll be digging into Streamparser I suppose, or transcoding.

• Ok, I assumed that my camera was set wrong to use driftwood quantum v4 orion. But under my recording choices, I have 24h and 24l. Were these available without the patch applied? If not, did I need to manually set anything before I saved the firmware? All I did was load the "g.ini" file and then save, thinking that was all that I needed to do. I unzipped the combined

• ...zip file, and chose only the one i thought was for quantum, and then saved without altering anything in ptools. Should I have set anything else? I assumed that the bit rate etc would have been set automatically.

• Sorry...should have read as "chose only the one i thought was for quantum orion, and then saved".

• @otcx That's very impressive for unaltered, non-"lit" footage. The sharpness/softness has a feel kind of inbetween the regular GH2 and a 5dmII – which is great.

• I just finished some preliminary profile testing with Orion v4b. Uploading now.

• My cat and my friend's dog playing. Was shot with Orion (4a).

One of the things I notice about the hacks is the rendering of fine details in the animal's fur.

• @ignatius, thanks, but I have the gf2 (not the GH2), is manual control possible with it or am I dreaming?

• @otcx which ISO / profile ? -looks great!

• @mhun You can get a bit of manual control back with a few tricks. Head over to EOSHD and read through this: http://www.eoshd.com/content/7074/hacked-gf2-the-300-digital-cinema-camera

• Quantum X Orion V4b Smooth profile test (direct download for Vimeo plus members)

Quantum X Orion V4b Nostalgic profile test (direct download for Vimeo plus members)

(videos won't on Vimeo because of ProRes 422 masters that Vimeo cannot convert, so download the original files directly from Vimeo)

Quantum X Orion V4b All profile test at 0/0/0/0

Workflow: ingest .MTS files into FCPX, render out in ProRes 422, upload to Vimeo. YouTube files are H.264 renders out of Adobe Media Encoder.

• @ignatius, thanks again, I read the EOSHD link. it is clear on how to stretch the gf2 manual settings and the limitations. one of the two advices is :

"2. Use a lens with a manual aperture ring, that the camera cannot control electronically."

I have such lenses, but they won't be stabilized by the gf2. Any lense out there have a manual aperture ring that would still be stabilized by the gf2?

would love a hack that would also stop the remaining ISO self adjustment. To me, that is a real stopper in using the camera in any serious/professional setting. If I want to shoot under or overexpose, it should let me do so.

• Quantum X Rocket 3b / Hyperprime 12mm / Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45 mm / 3200 iso / Nostalgic Filmmode / color -2 /

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions