Personal View site logo
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 1: v3b Rocket - v4b Orion - v5 β Pictoris
  • 1019 Replies sorted by
  • @driftwood Great work mate, about to test away with the latest patches, got one question do you think Quantum X v4 Orion to be a much better than Quantum X v3 rc patch for image quality

• And @driftwood Is it my imagination or with Rocket v3 CR, shooting at 24H, rolling shutter seems to be very much reduced? To me, it's starting to look like my CCD cameras for stability of image when panning...

• Here is a short test for Orion. Graded to correct GH2 black levels (15=0) and with slight contrast curve. I wanted to see how the detail hold up with youtube and I was impressed. 14-140 lens Sandisk Extreme 20mb/s class 6

• @Mark_the_Harp, The more I test Quantum X V4 (Orion) the more I am completely bowled over by it. I would agree that even the awful DSLR jello effect seems to be greatly reduced. A huge congratulations and thanks to all involved.

• Tried new span my b.. and had a fail with NTSC HBR but the new V3 gave me perfect HBR with video rate at 78.7, shot my own shrub of death, a air conditioner and shutters that always give moiré and lots of fast pans. Perfect... thank you so much. V3 for NTSC HBR is an unrivaled success.

• Man this is so much info to take in at once! I have a music video shoot coming up soon, what of these settings would you recomend as the "safest" one to use with HBR mode and variable mode? Of course I want the best quality I can get but but still don't want it to crash or lock the camera up during the recording! I am using Sandisk Extreme class 10 30 and 45 mb/s cards...

• @Rzsanto - thanks for the lovely fast pans! No need to appologize for them. I like them. Super cinematic! Bourne-Ultimatum-style! ;-)

And it shows how beautiful Quantum X and the GH2 behave with fast pans. (This would be a nightmare with any Canon...)

• Orion is amazing!! This is a screen grab taken at 640 iso, 24p video in a not very well lit room, no colour grading, straight of the camera. The quality is something else...can't wait to test in the daylight tomorrow. Thanks @driftwood

Athena GH2 1080p Screen Grab.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 458K
  • @cyfernoa - How do you get the lens to focus so quick?? My 14-140 takes an age!

• Can somone tell me what the difference is gonna be with v3 and v4 in stead of the v2 ? is it even better or does it have other perks? I'm having a hard time getting the technical terms so if someone could explain it on dummy level.. thx!

• I may have missed this, but any report on Orion's spanning on 64gb SDXC card?

• @driftwood

Orion may be the best of all. I won't test the new rocket right now

Although I am in the middle of moving from oregon to stockholm, I did test a little. with 95mb 64 gb sandisk.

1080i did write error with lumix x lens during a zoom.

I could NOT crash 720/60 sh with either 14-140 or 14-45 x with full af and zooming and panning. No wierdness in stream parser, birate between 50 and 60. Clean nice image.

24p looked great, HBR was also stable

I don't care about 1080i. I am cautiously optimistic that we may now have a stable high bitrate 720p 60 setting.

Premature Congrats to driftwood.

• @klem007 In simple terms:

v2 Rocket VBR is now superceeded by v3 Rocket RC - an adaptive or variable bitrate setting which only matches bitrate to roughly the quality of the subject matter (seen on a graph the peaks wave up and down according to bitrate estimated for the subject on a constant Quantiser coding level). Sizes of files will be smaller.

In contrast, v4 Orion works more like a constant bitrate codec (imitation) - giving the same bitrate attack ALL the time to the subject matter (seen on a graph the peaks stay constant - therefore, the quantiser is working hard to allocate the best quality Q to the image and use all of the available allocated bitrate). Sizes of files will be naturally larger.

Hope that helps. NIck

• Quantum v3 Rocket thanks Nick

• @artardi That's a nuts demo!
    @chauncy Thanks mate, your sound 'no bullshit' reporting has been an inspiration.

• Do they give Oscars for this kind of work? :)

• @edgenumbers @driftwood, thanks for the feedback on spanning. I'll do some tests in the airport lounge and see if I can get Orion to span with Q=0.

• Did a stress test with the latest rocket patch. It is much more stable than the previous version. I can not however get it to span on a class 10 30 mb/s sandisk extreme card. This setting isn't designed to be span friendly, right?

Would the CBR setting span or is it the same?

• based on these screen grabs, there is no way that either YouTube or Vimeo can relay the awesomeness of these patches. I can't wait to load them into my GH2. Thanks, Driftwood and Vitaliy

• Not as nutty as @artardi's video but I wanted to see how well it would take a bit of levels / curves and Neat noise reduction. So this is Rocket V3 at ISO 320 using a Nikon 1.4 at f2 in very low light. 24H, class 6 card. Just handheld stuff.

• Quick edit with Orion, very pleased.

CBR indeed. :)

orion.png
    1295 x 681 - 506K
  • @ Driftwood thx for the clear discription , i went and downloaded the v4 =) i'll test it tomorrow , love from belgium ! =)

• @artardi, I actually meant that Vitaliy and driftwood should get an oscar for technical achievement, well at least a nomination :)

• @disastronaut, very nice! Did you do any grading? What profile were you using?

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions