Personal View site logo
ColorGHear TOOLKIT- color grading SYSTEM for AE
  • 1015 Replies sorted by
  • @chauncy raw MTS works fine, but with what little experience I've had with hacked footage, spanned files are a little wonky when it comes to scrubbing. But DNxHD and Prores work awesome. The trade off you have with higher bitrates is hard drive space. If ti were me, I'd invest in a large hard drive and encode with 5DtoRGB at 444 ProRes or DNxHD.

I'll cover workflows later this week. I edit in FCP, use Automatic duck to bring into AFX, and then export ProRes 444. If I had Premiere Pro, I'd edit in that, bring into AE, etc. If ProRes wasn't an option, then I'd do tests and see how much you have to bring the levels down to compensate for DNxHD's tendency to boost the luminance by 1/3rd stop on export.
  • @shian Meant to mention your registration email includes the user's (name) and (password) spelled out. Not sure if everyone agrees, but I think having your password spelled out is a bit of a security risk, especially if you use it in multiple sites.

thx
  • The Premiere workflow is ridiculously easy. Right click and BAM. I'm throwing color grading down super quick. I did transcode to ProRes from ClipWrap.
  • @ Hallvalla Hmm, I'll take a look at it. It's still just the private the email that you get, right? Cuz the member receipts I get are just ********* in that field. But if it's a major issue, I'll see if there's a way to change it.
  • @shian
    I suggest to use email and PM for personal problems support, as it makes topic unreadable.
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev Excellent suggestion. Is there any way I could get limited editing function to clean up the thread?

You guys can contact me through the PM function of this site, or by emailing me at colorghear@gmail.com. For members with questions about the site, please use the contact form on the site because it will send me details about your account (browser and OS) and whether or not you're a registered member, so I can provide quicker more accurate support.
  • I'm really a noob when it comes to color grading (except for an extensive personal photo processing background) in that all my video editing was mostly done in VirtualDub and it was centred in stabilising (Deshaker) and denoising (NeatVideo). Stepping up to AEX will take a real effort but I have no doubts that the results are worth it, and I have a REAL interest in ColorHGear.
    Going back to noise, I know that NeatVideo is a dedicated temporal/spatial denoising filter and probably the best one around. I wonder how short of NeatVideo the GHRainKiller is. Is it good enough in most cases of incandescent ISO3200 footage on the GH2? It is an exclusively spatial denoiser, right?
  • @duartix GHrain Killer is the similar to Neatvideo - a statistical estimation temporal denoising filter, using the de-noising engine that comes with AE, but with one MAJOR distinction: it targets the kind of noise and artifacting native to DSLR footage, and I show you (well, I will show you in the tutorial that comes out this week) how to identify and target certain kinds of noise, and then create better sampling, which is the key to noise removal with image retention.

But even the default settings do a great job of killing noise.

If you know how to process photos in photoshop, ColorGHear should become very familiar to you very quickly.
  • Well thanks Shian, my interest in ColorGHear has changed from REAL to MAJOR. If all goes well with my AEX setup, I'll be a customer in the short term.
  • I did some tests with old clips. The colours are overcrancked purposely to see codec behaviour when used together with GHrainKiller.... and it is much cleaner :)
    I used Cineform and Mts files in the clip and both of them look good and you can push the colours much further than w/o GHrainKiller...
    Cheers!

• @jobless Cool. You can see the noise with how far it's pushed. It'd be interesting to see you include those same clips without the GHrain Killer to see how much noise is there when pushed that far. And just to protect my reputation, it's be nice to have the parameters of the test that you put here in your post in the description on vimeo.
  • Actually I added grain on top of it :) And this artefacts are from vimeo compression... Cineform export was clean as original.. :)
    The parameters I need to dig out from various compositions (meny of them I deleted), however I used Fist and GhrainKiller and Ghrainkiller was set to default except for green channel ( I needed to increase grain removal - my clip were very noisy in green channel )
  • No I mean - In the vimeo description page, it would be helpful if you said publicly there the same thing you've said here, about the codecs, that you added grain, that the noise is from vimeo compression and not the plug-in, that you cranked the chroma further than you could without GHrainKiller, etc, etc.

BTW its weird that you would have grain in the green channel. Is it GH1 footage? I'd love to get my hands on some so I can tune the GHrain Killer and create more GHears dialed in for the GH1.

And thank you for sharing.
  • Yes it is GH1. The green ch. is cleanest of all but when you push it hard it breaks :)
    Here are some pics with curves applied to footage to illustrate the problem and to show how Gkiller can be effective. Offcourse there is lost of fine details in hairs, but who want to push color and luma so hard?
    Ghraikiller is awsome...
    From left to right:
    1 original Green Ch
    2 original Green Ch + Curves
    3 original Green Ch + Curves + GhrainKiller Default
    4 original Green Ch + Curves + GhrainKiller Green Ch Reduction at 0,5

If you need original file you can download it from:
    http://www.nikolicnemanja.com/00016.mts

I'll change description page on Vimeo...
    Cheers

Green CH original.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 609K
    Green With Curves.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 613K
    Green Ch Curves-GhrainKiller default.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 536K
    Green Ch Curves-GhrainKiller Green ch Red .jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 534K
  • @jobless Nice! I'm glad you're really getting the hang of ColorGHear. I was worried that maybe what seemed pretty obvious to me wouldn't get across to the general user public, but it looks like you understand it really well. I'm sure by tutorial 12 you'll be an absolute pro.

And thanks for the vimeo update.
  • @shian Any plans for Twitter account updates (where you could post dev updates, tutorials in development, short tips, users videos sharing... and people can easily follow news around it) so we can make some buzz around ColorGHear on twitter.. :) With my next GH2 on the way I'll finally buy ColorGHear and I'd be happy to share some experiences with others there :-)
  • The twitter account is online, there's a link to it on the website. It's simply @ColorGHear So go ahead and follow ColorGhear, mention it. I'll definitely be using it in the manner you mentioned.
  • Thanks Shian. I had a few problems initially getting the zip file to work but now it's working & am amazed what I'm able to do so easily. Thanks for the hard work and great product, look forward to the continuing development.
  • Well, yesterday I gave AEX Grain Removal a test drive and I could see it's on the same level as NeatVideo... Since GHrainKiller is based on it, I'm pretty much sold, now all I have to do is try to get my AEX setup straight.
  • GHrainKiller is part of ColorGHear ?
  • @toxotis70 Yes. ColorGHear has over 75 nodes (or GHears) that are designed to be used together to give you a quick and powerful color grading toolset. It includes 3 of what I think are extremely versatile and powerful tools. and they are GHrainKiller, Spectral Enhancer, and ColorFist. GHrainKiller does what the name implies, the Spectral Enhancers will make your colors pop, and ColorFist will do almost everything Colorista and MBL will do, plus a few added features. And in one of the upcoming tutorials I'll show users how to add Secondary Color Correction to the mix WITHOUT using ColorFinesse. The overall workflow will take a little getting used to because its quite different than anything else you've probably used, but in under 2 days of having the plug-in I'm already seeing users getting the hang of it, and producing excellent results, and I'm sure as the tutorial series on the site expands to cover the full potential of the toolkit we'll start seeing ASTOUNDING results.
  • http://personal-view.com./talks/discussion/1914/denoising-footage-collection-for-future-reference

Apparently some people still don't know about GhrainKiller, I guess I better hurry up and get the tutorial finished and online before more people regret spending money on Neat Video.

• Waste their money on Neat Video?
    That's a tall order.

Please explain how GhrainKiller reduces chroma and luma noise levels?

I don't mean to come off snide, I'm just interested in this.
  • @proaudio4 They're not my words. Read back about page and half, neat video users that have bought ColorGHear are already bemoaning the neat video purchase, calling CGT faster and superior, and I haven't even shown them how to really use it yet, other than the default settings. but the skinny on GhrainKiller is quoted below

"GHrain Killer is the similar to Neatvideo - a statistical estimation temporal denoising filter, using the de-noising engine that comes with AE, but with one MAJOR distinction: it targets the kind of noise and artifacting native to DSLR footage, and I show you (well, I will show you in the tutorial that comes out this week) how to identify and target certain kinds of noise, and then create better sampling, which is the key to noise removal with image retention.

But even the default settings do a great job of killing noise."

I estimated GhrainKiller to be a nice little feature, not a competition for NeatVideo, but if it really is better, then why spend $50 for a de-noiser, when you can spend half that (for now) for a color grading monster with a really awesome denoiser built in?
  • Server not foun
    Firefox can't find the server at www.colorghear.com.
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions