Personal View site logo
GH2 driftwood hack in shootout with Canon C300
  • 471 Replies sorted by
  • I'd guess #2 is gh2, but really - it's incredibly difficult to tell straight up because we do not know how these are exposed in camera. (and I for one do not know how all these cameras look in respective modes) Basically, you can tell that the first image is done with a large sensor because of the short DOF / slight vignetting. I'd guess that one is the 5d, but nothing is certain.
    #2 looks a bit like how I would expose the scene with the gh2, hence I think it is that one. Also, the halo's from the bokeh looks familiar.

From such shots the important thing is how they grade and some looks a lot easier to work with than others.
  • I think you might be right. @reckless about 2=gh2
  • Over all I think they are all pretty good. Least favorite being 10, good skin tones but so dark.
  • Well speculating will probably only make me look like an idiot, but the only thing that makes me think 2 over 5 for the gh-2 is that the hair on 5 seems has a little too much contrast.
  • For the GH2, possibly #4.
    Short of this image, I'm really not impressed with any of them.
  • i don´t think he move those lights they look like christmas decoration of the location
  • #5 has the least amount of banding and macroblocking/pixelation...(looking at the background of all pics in the same place; between the right corner and the model's hair)
  • bigger sensor bigger spots but he could have move the lights.
  • i believe #1 is the sony, because of the bokeh, it has the biggest lights in the back, that should be related to the size of the sensor right?, so bigger light spots = smaller sensor
    and backwards, smaller light spots = bigger sensor
  • 7 has got to be F-3 S-log. the more i look at 5 the more it looks like a contender for GH-2.
  • bokeh and dof of the first pic make me think 5d. I'm liking #7 the best of all though.
  • and #1, I'm guessing, is 5d.
  • Could be, I for some reason associate a green tint with canon footage, but since they weren't shot in the technicolor cinestyle they would probably look the closest to actual color straight out of the camera.
  • really? i´m gueesing #3 is the canon 5d,
    and #9 is the canon7d

because of the colors
  • So for the skin tones: #2=GH-2, #3=af-100? 2 just a little yellowish tint from nostalgic, 3 AF-100 always a little contrasty. Trying to use those background lights for DOF but he could have been tricky and moved them. I usually shoot in smooth so not 100% sure.
  • there are new pics, i´m going for number 5 being the gh2

and the one i like the most is number 7
  • but why did he put out those 2 jpgs, knowing the GH2 one was low res?
  • The 70Mbp/s Philip reports on his picture caption was yielded from the L setting shot. He does have 150Mbp/s material on his SD card which will follow when the report is written up ;-)
  • My little GH2 is a great camera, and just keeps on getting better, thanks in no small part by all of you folks round here! So a big thank you to VK, ND and all of those helping!

I hope to avoid too much discussion comparing this fantastic filmmaking tool that I am happy that I own, with a bunch of other equipment that would find it difficult to afford!
    I know that for me, seeing a bunch of higher spec. equipment and what it can produce.. is not likely to help my situation, so I think I will try to enjoy my camera without looking too hard at the details :)

I did say "I will try"
    Looks like the driftwood hacked GH2 beats the £4000 AF101
  • P. Bloom just tweeted this 1h ago ;)

"One of the most interesting things to come out of yesterday's #christmasshootout was how much better the Driftwood hack GH2 looks than AF101"

Can't wait to get my hands on GH2!
  • the pictures on this thread page must be wrong.
    the GH2 looks really soft as 720.
  • Which film mode is he using? If it's sth like cinema, the GH2 is destined to fall flat and look like a AF100-disgusting highlight roll-off and crushed shadows. Now if he's using -2 -2-2-2 smooth or white balanced nostalgic or even standard, + quantum V5 at 24H, then we're in business.