Personal View site logo
GH2 driftwood hack in shootout with Canon C300
  • 471 Replies sorted by
  • Sorry Vitaliy. I come from a world where total strangers sometimes say bad things about their colleagues. And good things too, of course.
  • after looking at the stills between the c300 and gh2, it's really obvious that an unfair lighting advantage is given to the c300. I'd imagine the image would be better than gh2 anyway, why help it?

Nevertheless, I'd give Bloom the benefit of the doubt until the review is in.

I've never thought he would be a completely unbiased opinion anyway. Anyone who loads their site with paid advertising is suspect as far as I'm concerned.
  • Philip and his team probably took that shot in 1080i FSH or 720p stretched! Seriously though theyre the first of many pics. But they're the only settings at 70M ;-) Lets wait for the final report.
  • Seriously though. Just let the test results come out and then decide if you like the testing method or not. But let's not get so precious about our equipment. We know how good it is, and even if PB's test results show that the GH2 is 80% of the C300, the price differential is still astounding!
  • I'm thinking about what x vs. y tests would be important to me.

1) Skin tone

2) People or cars moving around. Hey, still, locked down shots tell very little about motion effect and how codecs deal with lots of change.

3) A line resolution chart, (same lens) see how the binning or line skipping effects the resolution.

4) Highlights - I'd like to see how highlight clipping is handled (Red CineX) has that nice feature to rebuild one clipped color channel from the others info.

5) Shadow detail. How dark can you go and still have useable detail vs. noise.

6) Dynamic range test. If you carefully matched the look (exposure) on each camera, Then progressively tried to boost the highlight/shadows 1 stop at a time in post. Which holds up for how many stops. So, the C300 should have the most dynamic range. How many stops can you go either way and still have a good image?

Any other thoughts?

7) Banding test. Find a subject the the sky or dark shadows and see how well the different bit depths handle banding. What I HATED in my GH-1 tests.
  • From FB: Gh2 Driftwood Hack 70mb/s
    Clip-3.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 703K
  • I'd advice everyone to hold on until the actual comparison is presented.
    The c300 landscape looks seemingly similar to the gh2 one. Yet, it is a 720p frame grab (c300) vs a full 1080p framegrab..
  • If that is a 720p frame grab, it ain't chopped liver. I want!
  • From FB: With the C300
    AA0002_01.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • edit to my last post: the first images were downscaled to 1280 x 720, it seems.

@Manu4Vendetta posted the full 1080 frame.

At a glance, it looks like there is not much difference in terms of resolving power.
  • Those are Clog? They don't look so much flat... they don't look flat at all, shadows are almost painted
  • Which film mode is he using? If it's sth like cinema, the GH2 is destined to fall flat and look like a AF100-disgusting highlight roll-off and crushed shadows. Now if he's using -2 -2-2-2 smooth or white balanced nostalgic or even standard, + quantum V5 at 24H, then we're in business.
  • the pictures on this thread page must be wrong.
    the GH2 looks really soft as 720.
  • P. Bloom just tweeted this 1h ago ;)

"One of the most interesting things to come out of yesterday's #christmasshootout was how much better the Driftwood hack GH2 looks than AF101"

Can't wait to get my hands on GH2!
  • My little GH2 is a great camera, and just keeps on getting better, thanks in no small part by all of you folks round here! So a big thank you to VK, ND and all of those helping!

I hope to avoid too much discussion comparing this fantastic filmmaking tool that I am happy that I own, with a bunch of other equipment that would find it difficult to afford!
    I know that for me, seeing a bunch of higher spec. equipment and what it can produce.. is not likely to help my situation, so I think I will try to enjoy my camera without looking too hard at the details :)

I did say "I will try"
    Looks like the driftwood hacked GH2 beats the £4000 AF101
  • The 70Mbp/s Philip reports on his picture caption was yielded from the L setting shot. He does have 150Mbp/s material on his SD card which will follow when the report is written up ;-)
  • but why did he put out those 2 jpgs, knowing the GH2 one was low res?
  • there are new pics, i´m going for number 5 being the gh2

and the one i like the most is number 7
  • So for the skin tones: #2=GH-2, #3=af-100? 2 just a little yellowish tint from nostalgic, 3 AF-100 always a little contrasty. Trying to use those background lights for DOF but he could have been tricky and moved them. I usually shoot in smooth so not 100% sure.
  • really? i´m gueesing #3 is the canon 5d,
    and #9 is the canon7d

because of the colors
  • Could be, I for some reason associate a green tint with canon footage, but since they weren't shot in the technicolor cinestyle they would probably look the closest to actual color straight out of the camera.
  • and #1, I'm guessing, is 5d.