Personal View site logo
GH2 color grading
  • 95 Replies sorted by
  • @shian

Thank you kindly for sharing your knowledge. I am very much looking forward to watching your tutorials and will definitely purchase your plugins. I am shooting a short film in January and would love to implement techniques learned from a master. Cheers.
  • @Shian
    Thanks for your fast answer. Great color grading of Andrew's footage, I'm looking forward to download the plugin in January.
  • @Marco - cinema 0,0,0,+2, 24H
  • Shian, which in-camera picture profile and contrast/saturation settings do you use when shooting with the GH2?
  • Here's a vid of us messing around, and then some grading:

I've had work done in DaVinci a number of times, but I think Colorista isn't so bad for small home-based projects.

Please read vimeo for details, but heads up: It's all ETC mode footage with Zeiss Sueprspeed S16mm lenses.
  • @FGCU what i've found with 444 is you have to remain in a logarithmic LUT throughout post until you get to QT Pro, QT Pro does an amazing job of translating Log back to Linear with no loss. I'll cover this in the tutorials, but if you leave AE in linear rather than Log, your footage will seem to wash out... because it's baking linear back into your footage.... You don't want that.
  • Looking forward to this. Mostly in terms of learning from your experience and methods!
  • Here's the temporary home of ColorGHear (still building the site)
    http://colorghear.wordpress.com/2011/12/14/colorghear/
  • @sanzadez Thanks man.... I'm in Los Angeles.
  • @shain. I can only say thank you for your efforts. I am currently shooting my first feature and have been looking for a viable way to color grade. Your plug-in seems to be just what the Dr ordered. And as we wont be done shooting until Jan, it seems it will be just in time. I'm not sure exactly what part of the globe you are from, but if you are ever in my area, I'd love to buy you a drink.
  • @kanintesova Less than $30 US
  • @shian: Really looking forward to this. What do you think the price range will be roughly? (Poor student).
  • @shian that sounds incredibly cool, really looking forward!
  • That has nothing to do with true HDR, since it has no larger input range to work with.
    IMHO, it will look very much like digital sharpening, which most of us don't like anyway, do we?
  • what do you guys think of this new plug-in for FCPX

http://crumplepop.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=1eea4a49348860aad8c1d99b6&id=1ae91625bc&e=247a488f93

I don't know if it's worth it or not, but it's $39 this opening week and then goes up to $75. As a nooby to the whole digital world it looks like they're just making easier what you can do anyways if you take the time to learn grading in general and this HDR look. But isn't that what most plug-ins do, make something easier for dweebs like me?

• I can't wait to buy it :-)
  • @shian - Fantastic. I'm eager to see your plug-in.

I mentioned Colorista II primarily because it has been a great color correction tool for my typical workflow. It's head and shoulders ahead of any other FCP plug-in, but I don't use pre-made Looks.

I use AFX CS5 and I'm looking forward to trying out a workflow for my high-end projects with high bit-rate footage plus 32bpc color correction. A dedicated GH2 color correction solution sounds very intriguing. I'll be keeping an eye out.
  • @jpbturbo not too differently. The techniques are all tried and tested. Every piece of software does things a little different, but the theory and practice hold steady across all platforms.
  • @shian
    Looking forward to seeing your plugin workflow videos.
    I'm currently grading my 7d footage in AE at the college where i work.
    I've done a little with some tracking and then linking a masked adjustment layer to a null object etc... but it will be nice to see how a pro does it.
  • @No_SuRReNDeR still getting familiar with all the patches, can you send me a link to it. I'm going to be doing a lot of testing and such once the plug-in goes live.

Any and all links to footage, and questions about this topic, or even slightly off topic, can be sent to colorghear@gmail.com
  • @shian I didn't know about Automatic Duck..that sounds like a better solution.I was already looking into the batch version of 5dtoRGB it seems worth the minor investment. I cant wait to see the series man. You and driftwood and of course VK are now my personal heroes, and Roger Deakins... well obviously. Gonna stay on a lower end GOP1 for stability like the 100MB aqua motion so I figured 3 or 4 terabytes would be good enough... the film has ziltch for a budget, too bad you cant just buy stuff with passion.
  • @FGCU yup, all GH2
  • @No_SuRReNDeR if you're more comfortable in FCP, edit in FCP and use (the now free) Automatic Duck to pull the whole thing into AFX. Personally I would get the batch version of 5DtoRGB and a MASSIVE hard drive, and then convert to ProRes 444, 709, no gamma. I'll cover all of these options in the video series.