Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 color grading
  • 95 Replies sorted by
  • @shian

I visited your site. I like what you did with EOSHD's footage.
  • @shian

can we expect the plugin UI presentation video this week as you said before? :)
  • "The Aviator" style 2-Strip TechniColor gear added.

Walkthrough coming late Wed. I'm having problems editing and exporting the screen capture videos. (I'm pretty sure you guys don't want to sit through a 90 minute video with me going off on tangents about irrelevant stuff)
    2-strip color.png
    2560 x 1091 - 3M
  • I'll try to have part 1 up tonight, no later than tomorrow afternoon. I think I'm going to have to buy Camtasia. It's great to have a free screen recorder in QT X, but the footage is just a pain to work with. FCP won't recognize it, even when exported to another codec.

You live and you learn I guess.
  • Camtasia is the best of the best you can get.. and I never had a single problem with it or even with editing the footage..
  • Teaser 2 is up.

Walkthrough Pt 1 (The Primer) is up as well

Part 2 (GHUTS and GHLORY) is uploading now
  • Looking good @shian. When is it going to be available for purchase. Can't wait to start playing with it.
  • @shian
    Any thoughts on developing the plugins for FCPX in the future? Would be quite powerful to have this control within editing...

(I believe that FCPX uses Motion plugins now- along with FXplug2...)
  • This looks fantastic - can't wait for part 2 and the release of the plugin itself.

Also think you have a great voice for tutorials and go at the right pace - more often than not I find the voice on tutorials either mind-numbingly boring or nauseatingly over enthusiastic...
  • And part 2 is up. It's about an hour long, and lags a bit in places because rather than cheating, and scripting how to re-assemble the looks in the demo, you get to hear me think and analyze as I try to piece together how the look is created. (I don't think out loud, but if you crank up the sound, you can probably hear the gears turning in my head...well, maybe not over the constant "ummmm...ummmm"ing)

• New ColorGHear Thread to handle announcements, questions, concerns, suggestions for the plug-in,as well as videos et al.

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/1817/colorghear-toolkit-powerful-color-correction-for-hdslrs#Item_10
  • Will there be a version for plugging straight into FCPX soon? the Adobe swis way too expensive for me.

• @manda eventually I hope. Right now, I'm not making enough to warrant hiring programmers for the job, which is what it would take.

• @shian So eventually.. if you find (and be able to hire them) some proframmers.. the toolkit can evolve into UI based plugin for AE, right? :-)

• yet another color grading basic tips blog. Good for starters and Premiere worklowers :-)

http://www.hurlbutvisuals.com/blog/2012/01/20/7-tips-for-hd-color-correction-and-dslr-color-correction/

• @shian if you are able to encapsulate your colour transforms into a OpenCL Kernel then using something like Noise Industries should not be an issue. I have quite a bit of experience working with NI, and it is currently a very mature product...

• @shian I have noticed that the Ghrain killer and Ghrain Killer 2 seem to work intermittently on my footage. I usually put this is as lowest layer closest to the clip/sequence all the other GHears adjustments work freaking awesome..(love my grades)... but for some weird reason it just seems like the Ghrain killer is only working when it wants to...which for me isnt often.. could the default grain killer 3.0 plug-in in my after effects have just gone bad? Am I maybe doing something wrong in terms of layer order? What do you think?

• @No_SuRReNDeR it's a sampling error due to a major difference between frame 0 and the current frames being displayed under the adjustment layer. It will all be covered in the next tutorial. I'm trying to make sure I cover everything, and this is the most complex part of CGT, so I want to be thorough. Hopefully it'll be out next week.

• @shian I think I figured it out....frame 0 is basically black from fade in so.... I have to go to GHrain killer->sampling then choose the frame I am on in the time line say 249...adjust the sample size and I manually chose the sampling points where the noise is crazy --after I switch the mode back to Final Output..then adjust the opacity accordingly....Now I get very pleasing results :)

I know there is more too it but "basically" I think I get it...