Personal View site logo
GH2 v1.1 new firmware with 25p discussion topic
  • 637 Replies sorted by
  • @5thwall - I've red somewhere that horizontal band issue still occurs when underexposing.
  • @arvidtp - It was way too hot for my H2n! Even with volume turned down to about 20% there were clipping and distortions. Now it is OK.
  • Not sure if it's been mentioned here, yet. Has anyone tested to see if the latest firmware fixes the horizontal band issue that seems to occur at higher ISOs and low light?
  • that would be cool. i noticed it was a bit hot, even at the lowest level with just a self-powered stereo microphone plugged straight in (AT822). I'll test this too.
  • Wow! It seems that after fw upgrade, GH2's external mic sensitivity is finally correct. Fed from H2n headphone/line-out works fine at Audio Level set to 2. Previously (before fw update) I had problems with same settings on GH2 and H2n, as described there:
    http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/1152/gh2-audio-hacks#Item_64
  • @britco - yes, that is set. Looking at one adaptor (don't know if it's the iffy one) there's a little hole that engages with the pin next to the lens release on the GH2 body. I think it's that hole that's not deep enough on one of my adaptors, which is making the GH2 think the lens isn't properly attached. So I'll attack it with a drill (the hole, not the GH2!!).
  • hey guys, thank you all for the heads up :)
  • Do you have the "shoot without lens" option set to "YES"....just a thought
  • Guys, just a word of warning about updating with various manual lenses attached because occasionally I get a warning from my GH2 (when using manual lenses) that "The lens is not attached". This seems to appear randomly when using my various manual lens mounts (possibly one particular one, but it doesn't happen often enough for me to work out if it's associated with a specific mount). It goes away if I fiddle with the mount.

I tend to keep the camera somewhere very stable and safe and keep well away from it when it's updating, but until @Clermond @valdi99 and @Matt started talking about the various lenses they've had on the camera while updating, I never thought about this potential danger. I'm sure if I got this random "the lens is not attached" issue during a firmware update it would be serious / fatal for the camera (I guess because the camera might think I've pressed the lens release button).

It might be just my camera, but worth letting you know about in case you've ever seen a similar warning when using manual lenses on your GH2. @Vitaliy Am I right in thinking this would turn my GH2 into a very expensive doorstop if this happened during firmware upgrade?

EDIT: Just did a search on that message, and it appears it's to do with the adaptor not having a deep enough hole at one point for the GH2 to detect that it's locked into place. I'll look into that - and will keep them away from my camera during updating!!
  • Has anyone done a test on the high Iso noise improvement. Looking at the video below it seems to be very good for a stock bitrate for the v1.1. Now a test with someone who is going to do the hack with the same subject at night with the same lighting would be very nice. If there is some improvement we could at least see it.

• @kazuo FW Update worked fine with the Nokton 25mm (I didn't even consider mounting the Pana Lens)
  • or HBO Mode :) One thing that is better on Canon is the way video modes are named, + this ability to switch between PAL and NTSC framerate without going through a hack !
    Yet I really prefer to shoot on GH2 than 7D.
  • @Tomaso - treat HBR as HBRoadcast :)
  • @ghostlayer
    I also belive HBR is missleading. Wy was not 24P and 30P called TV or Broadcast in contrast to Cinema.
  • The new 25p mode is great, and it looks on par with the detail and resolution that 24p offers. Can't wait until Vitaliy hacks it!!

@kazuo

Any lens will do. I just updated mine the past hour with an old FD lens on, and it was fine. You just need to make sure you have 3 bars of battery (ie fully charged) or else it won't let you update.
  • @kazuo - I did fw update having manual Pentax lens attached via adapter. No problem at all.
  • I wouldn't update in the middle of a project. You need the lens attached if you're doing a lens firmware upgrade, but otherwise, it's not necessary
  • Hi

I read that you need to have a lens fixed to body when performing the update. Question: must this be a panasonic AF lens, or any MF lens will do?

Pl help. Have never tried hacking my cam till now, and dun want to brick it cos am in the middle of a project.

Cheers
  • @lenuisible
    people (like me too) are mostly interested in news by experience. Please don't spread these kind of rumors if they are not proofed.
  • @5min ok cool, thanks. I read that on another forum, and didn't test it as I'm back on hacked fw.
  • @lenuisible You can, nothing changed with the new FW. Just switch to MF, like before.
  • Cool! Any other good news? Lol
  • it seems you can't go longer than 1/25 shutter speed in video anymore...
  • In the new firmware, if you have seen an increasing number of shots in burst mode shot 40 fps tanks?
    Tanks ...
  • @tox ill upload a video tomorrow afternoon