Personal View site logo
GH2 v1.1 new firmware with 25p discussion topic
  • 637 Replies sorted by
  • is there any possibility to change the flag ( i -> p) of the footage in the new firmware with your hack ?
    its really annoying to convert all those clips from interlaced to progressive...
  • Just wait for the new ptools. I am quite sure that _if_possible_ all these issues will be adressed by Vitaly.
  • Just a note for people who are trying out the new firmware. I tried it out, but decided to go back to the VK hack. I did this by just reinstalling the ptools version I had been using. Everything looked fine when I tried some 1 minute long tests in camera. But it turns out on playback there were weird shimmers and other phenomenon that are hard to describe.

I was able to fix this by reinstalling v10 with ptools, then reinstalling my hack again. So for any professionals trying out the new firmware, but going back to the VK hack (I was using an 88k mps version of Driftwood's Aquamotion), I suggest doing a thorough test with playback before going out on a job.

I can see VK is going to be able to get some great new options here!

Going to click the paypal button again now!
  • @toxotis:
    Just choose "none" under field priority setting in your NLE. You can set the NLE to interpret the footage as progressive this way. no need for changing the flag.
    HDV 25p worked that way for me for years, no problems at all. smooth editing. just set your timeline to 25p and interpret footage as progressive / set field order to none.
  • @fatpig... i know, i am doing that already.
    BUT when you have mixed footage from cameras like sony nex - A65-A77 etc, (those cameras record pure progressive 25p) , i have problem.
    The timeline , with mixed material, still needs render .
  • If anyone wants to help with clipwrap (current version doesn't flag the output as progressive), send some material with new firmware (25p and 25i , 5-10 seconds) to Colin.

This is the mail i received from him...

"We can probably add support for that, but don't have any sample footage to work with. If you'd like to share some with us we can take a look. We'd need a short sample of the 25p content, as well as a short sample of 50i content from the same camera.

If you're willing to send a file, you can use our file submission website:
    http://uploads.divergentmedia.com/submitfile/caseid/4255_brf40sbclg7gp8vc

-Colin"
  • @toxotis70
    With all such stuff go to
    http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/1677/new-firmware-hbr-mode-mts-converters

Otherwise it'll be hard to find afterwards inside big topic.
  • I'm guessing this is a Mac-only Problem, anyways. so back on topic.
  • No its not mac related ... in pc its the same.
    Try to mix some footage from pure 25p and GH2 and you ll see that timeline needs render.
  • Now in risk of repeating myself...
    @Vitaliy_Kiselev, @driftwood and all the others who might know:

Is there -in theory- a slight possibly to get 4:2:2 or 10-bit (or both) out of any hack or is it simply flat out impossible? Or is it too early to tell?

I know this question must annoy but it annoys me that it pops up in my head without any idea if we should hope or not :P
  • @starstuff - "Is there -in theory- a slight possibly to get 4:2:2 or 10-bit (or both) out of any hack...?
    Sure it's possible, and it's been available for quite some time. For 4:2:2 color depth, pick up a GH1 and install the following MJPEG patch:

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/184/gh1-blackout-powell-native-24p-patch-v2-
  • @LPowell
    Well, I was talking about the GH2, since this is a GH2 thread ;)
  • Maybe with HDMI recording ...
  • cool...no problem to go back to the old Hack (1.0)... yeah!!
  • @Clermond In FCPX, you can chose to consider the footage progressive in the inspector... and the video looks normal and pretty good. No need to convert with 5DtoRGB.
  • Try this in FCPX.
    Make a new timeline (project) in 1080 25p.
    Import the fotage from GH2 and declare it as progressive.
    Then put the footage to the timeline... orange bar is apeearing (it needs render) !
    Not a good thing...

If you put any pure 25p footage , no render needed.
  • Sorry, folks, our Ninja was out shooting last night, I tested it now.

As long as the camera itself is not recording, the HDMI output is running in 50i, is more contrasty and somewhat more reddish-yellow. As soon as the camera is recording too (set to 25p, of course), HDMI is going PsF and the image is considerably better. Nice, but no reason to buy a Ninja (or any other recorder).

In my former tests, the hacked GH2 was so close to the external recording that I see no sense in buying one for this camera. I'm sure our hero Vitaliy will do the same to 25p and we'll have REAL high bit rate soon…

@toxotis70 In FCP7 I have no problem declaring it as 25p.

• Hi Lenuisible and Starstuff.

I saw a review on B&H for the hyperdeck and he said that the HDMI footage out of the Gh2 was 420 so at least at present there is no 422 color compression option for the gh2.
  • I dont have any problem too in FCPX (declaring as progressive).
    Read carefully my comment.
  • Yes, I understood, but I don't need to render (it's transcoded, but still 25p in a 50i wrapper, aka PsF).
  • "Increased number of recordable images in consecutive shooting."

I don't suppose this applies to the 40fps speed?
  • Is it possible to use the new firmware on a Japanese/US GH2 and have 25p?
  • Probably not until the hack is ported.
  • please , can anyone from Ntsc land send a small clip (30p and 60i) to Carol from clipwrap ?
    I send him 2 files from Pal but he needs from NTSC too.

send the files here... http://uploads.divergentmedia.com/submitfile/caseid/4255_brf40sbclg7gp8vc
  • Anyone think the "Half shutter press" option is backwards? Meaning if it's set to on, it doesn't work, and if it's off, it does. I think that's weird.