Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 v1.1 new firmware with 25p discussion topic
  • 637 Replies sorted by
  • @SuperSet:

Yes, there is "Improved in the AF performance in video recording."

What exactly it does, nobody know, for the moment.

Full release notes:

Added a video mode [HIGH BIT RATE] which is suitable for editing video recorded at high bit rate(24Mbps).
    Added a function [POWER ZOOM LENS] when using power zoom lens.
    ([DISP FOCAL LENGTH], [STEP ZOOM], [ZOOM RESUME], [ZOOM SPEED], [ZOOM RING]*)
    Full area enlargement of AF area setting.
    Improved in the speed of consecutive shooting when shot with auto bracket.
    Increased number of recordable images in consecutive shooting.
    [EX.TELE CONV. (Extra Tele Conversion)] can be set ON/OFF separately in photo or video recording.
    More accurate light adjustment of built-in flash.
    Improved in the AF performance in video recording.
    Synchronization of alarm volume for low battery with [BEEP VOLUME].
    Added a function [HALF PRESS RELEASE].
    Improved NR (Noise Reduction) in high sensitivity shooting.
    Added a function [TOUCH SCREEN] which is ON/OFF control of touch-screen.

* Available with LUMIX G X VARIO PZ 45-175mm / F4.0-5.6 ASPH. / POWER O.I.S. only.
  • Ah, appreciate the re-post of the release notes. I missed it as I was looking at that PDF.
  • How do you disable touch screen? I'm not seeing it in the menu.
  • hit it with the hammer that came in the zip file

would certainly be nice if auto-focus was improved in video.
    what does the half press release do, if anything in video shooting?
  • custom menu-> 6th screen: TOUCH SCREEN ON-OFF
  • noise is redused in video too
    See here a small noise test @ 3200 ISO ... with VERY low light in my work room.
    i cant imagine the quality with Vitaliy 's hack in 25p !

• @toxotis70 What noise reduction setting are you using?
  • Normal film mode, all at -2 except NR 0
    The trick here was that i overexposed by one stop (i always do).
    The real image was darker .... but i reduse exposure after, in post (FCPX)
  • OK, in the calmest way possible
    HELPPPPPPPP.
    Woke up, updated firmware, yey its finally here.
    On restart, I then remember that my GH2 is a Japanese model that I used the hack to change to English, so now once again it is in Japanese.
    Annoying, but I can live with it.
    BUT,
    Now Im stuck in NTSC mode!!!!!
    Im a PAL user and I have a shoot this weekend.
    What are my options????
  • @toxotis70
    great, thanks for sharing! How does FCP X handle 25p files?
  • @s_maurice Cant you just put the hacked fw back on your memory card and follow the same steps to hack it back to the custom firmware.
  • @s_maurice ... put the old firmware back (or the hack one).

@Clermond FCPX handles easily every file, i have no problem with 25p files from my sony nex 5n.
    GH2 25p files, are recognised as interlaced (avid composer 6 too).
    Premiere reports progressive.
  • @s_maurice:

revert back to the hacked firmware? this has been done by some people i have read.
  • 1.1 firmware, switch to ETC-modus while recording doesn't work, anybody checked that?
  • LOL @ new firmware.
    25p is achieved by GOP25. 1080i
    v1.1 panny firmware 25p HBR colour death chart.png
    1703 x 885 - 147K
    v1.1 panny firmware 24p colour death chart.png
    1712 x 880 - 151K
  • @gameb: Do you mean EXTele mode? This never worked. It's just that now it's an option to use it in stills photo mode too. I tried it - does not work with 1.1 either.
  • @driftwood: does this mean it will pose problem to GOP 1 25p?
  • My premiere 5.5 versión reports interlaced stream from 25p mts file. (upper field). Toxotis70, what premiere version are you using?
  • If thats really all it took to get 25p then lets c how it works, it means simply changing VK's hacked version to 25 GOP in FSH mode. Uploading a Quantum PAL variation now just to see. p24 will remain 24p INTRA.
    Update: hmmm change it to 25GOP and the i frames goto 50 (hence why they use 12 gop on default for 24p...)
  • Thanks guys,
    I thought the new firmware wouldnt let me go back,
    or are you saying make the version number of my previously hacked firmware higher?
  • We've had the same report for 25p for INTRA (as 25p in 50i for a long time). So it seems this HBR mode is just an extra setting that now when VK hacks this variation of the firmware we will be able to implement - ie an extra setting that now keeps it away from 24p settings (could be very useful). It should appear as a new encoder setting once VK dissembles it.
  • @kanintesova, thought it was announced, that with new firmware you can switch to ETC while recording...?
  • no - just was worded confusingly on press release.
  • @Driftwood
    I agree with you. I'm getting the same results with new HBR mode than the 'older' GOP 1 Intra 1080 i.