Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 v1.1 new firmware with 25p discussion topic
  • 637 Replies sorted by
  • Now we habe 25p in a 50i Wrapper, so is the pulldown issue with HDMI recording gone?
  • the new High Bitrate Modes do span just if anyone is interested

@tida nope no af-tracking in video modes still.

Can't test hdmi output don't have a mini hdmi cable

• @tida - have you witnessed AF-tracking enabled in video mode after updating fw?
  • I just pointed my GH2, connected to my hyperdeck shuttle, at my PAL TV .. am watching 'Criminal Minds'.

I recorded:
    5 seconds of the output without pressing record on camera
    5 seconds of the output having pressed record on the camera

The two files total 1.57 GB. I have attached MediaInfo Output
    I do not understand the cadence issue, and pulldown is irrelevent to me in PAL land

If I can assist with testing let me know, or if anybody wants the files, let me know

Visually it looks like when record is pressed on GH2 it's 25P

The HDMI output is 25P wrapped in 50i
    The 2 stills, should demonstrate, I chose a frame with movement from each clip, made 2 field freeze in Media Composer. The overlay indicates the clip where I did not press record on GH2, it turns to wrapped 25P when record is pressed.

HDMI_Test.zip
    797B
    Capture0000 FF.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 763K
    Capture0001 FF.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
  • @valdi99 no that was only a question - but it seems not. Early beta firmware for testers had this and it should be any more a problem for them because of the G3...
  • "The HDMI output is 25P wrapped in 50i"

This would be a game changer indeed.

Buy BM Hyperdeck for 250 €, add two midsized SSD´s --> lossless 25P workflow below 1000 €

The dice is rolling again! :)))
  • @kavadni

Can you test the HDMI of the new firmware when set to 24p? (to see if it changes to 24p wrapped in 50i/60i) + 50i/60i as well...?!

Darn... if this is for real then not only will we have a great camera for 'in camera recording / backup' but also a BBC killer! Finally Panny may have listened to VK! Just imagine what Easter eggs could be in the new FW!?? (lets hope we don't have to wait till Easter to find out though! (VK- hack away!)
  • @alcomposer
    I will test thoroughly tomorrow, it's getting late here.
    I will film the um .. (what's it called) ... five ball bearings suspended on strings that go click click click.
    That should give a repeating motion for comparison

@Meiehans
    I have 2 120GB SSD, in AU they are about $250 each the Shuttle was $350 ... 24 minutes
    I have ordered the Hyperdeck Studio, following BMDesigns partnership with AVID,
    The Hyperdeck Studio will sometime this month use Avid's DNxHD codec .. increases my 240GB to about 110 minutes. Not run and gun tho.
  • @kavadni
    First image is Newtons Cradle
    Second image is some sort of updated Cradle that I found when finding the first image... cool...

Also- try to look for any issues with cadence (in 24p this could get funky) simply import the footage into FCP (or whatever you use) and set the pull down to 24p pattern. Make sure that there are no funky half frames anywhere...

But honestly if 25p is the only one working for HDMI- I am sure that VK can 'fix the others' if Panny fixed the code!

Awesome time to own a GH2
    :-D
    collision-r-1.jpg
    685 x 410 - 159K
    spacerail-diy-roller-coaster-spacewarp-steel-balls-physics-level-3-1105-15-doinfinity@2.jpg
    450 x 250 - 23K
  • @alcomposer

They didn't fixed the code, I think.
    Just 25p is working good with 50i output :-)
  • @VK
    Well whatever the reason... I just hope that you can spread the HDMI love with the new firmware insights... or possibly even expand the new 'Movie Mode for Editing' into new amazing multi-framerate directions!

Having one mode working on HDMI is a start... (I was already beginning to eye off the Pix240 for crying out loud!)

Release the hounds!

PS: Many guys have noticed that there isn't as much/any hue change when going from entering recording mode now... so I still have hope, (considering this year so far- HDMI on the GH2 is they only thing I am wishing for this Christmas)... oh - and a Maserati, (so please don't tell me I have more chance to get the car!)
  • I am in NTSC land....should I waste my time with this firmware upgrade? 25p is completely pointless to me accept for the fact that you can have a correct 180 degree shutter at 1/50 ...but besides that and turning off the touch screen... I'm nor seeing any reason to apply this firmware yet.
  • @No_SuRReNDeR
    In NTSC you get 30p?? No sale? (Honestly VK will have this ported in a few weeks - we have waited long enough for Panny - so what is another 2-3-4weeks...? See 2012 in with new PTOOLS!
  • No news on the 4:2:2 MJPEG Front, though?
  • I'll try 25p with the Ninja tonight.
  • i ll wait for that !
    Ninja is more expensive than BM ?
  • @No_SuRReNDeR as far as i can tell from the japanese pdf (cant read japanese, but it does say "1920x1080…24Mbps…30p…16:9" in roman characters) we do get proper 1080p30 WITH SOUND! will be awesome - sound to sync to! no more need to slate with external recorder! no more conforming! Going to test it tonight hopefully when i get home.
  • Anyone shot mp4 with it?
  • A quickie test shows no fix in ISO 320 bug - remember to dial down from higher ISO.

Otherwise, 25p HBR is a blessing for me (PAL-citizen), quality fine, videospec shows 17-18Mbps - waiting for hacks ;) Latest update (1.5.6) of 5DtoRGB converts 25p HBR to ProRes without problems, audio fine.

Disabling the touch screen is a major plus for me.
  • @johnnym
    No mp4! 25p came in AVCHD 24mbps format Similar to 24p but no 25L setting only HBR (HighBit Rate)
  • OHHHH so the HBR is 30p actually that is pretty sweet nvmd then LOL-- gonna try this out.
  • I'm still confused on the 30p. If it were 30p inside a 60i wrapper, wouldn't the footage show up as 59.94fps? Is there such a thing as 30p in a 30i wrapper? My head hurts.
  • @Shield welcome to the world of video technology..lol---- Im ASS-uming that since Pany doesnt consider this camera profesional that maybe it is actually 30p.

• I thought there were supposed to be some autofocus improvements with this patch? I didn't see anything in the release notes. Anyone remember that?
  • Panasonic has good reason to package the new HBR PAL 25p and NTSC 29.97p modes in 50i and 59.94i wrappers. These interlaced formats are supported by all PAL and NTSC HDTV's, allowing you to play back the videos directly from the camera. The only progressive formats that are officially supported in the Blu-ray/AVCHD world are 23.976p, 24p, 50p, and 59.97p.