Personal View site logo
95MB/s Sandisk Extreme Pro cards
  • 242 Replies sorted by
  • At last, Ive got one coming this week from their PR company... finally! They sent me a compact flash version the other week... must try it out in the 5Dmk2 and 7D... For now, can @jspatz try the experimental patch 'Quantum' found below. This is AQ4 on 24p top setting, and bigger 720p60 and 1080i. If this patch works as it is, try taking up the 1080p24 frame limits 1000 at a time until it fails. Ditto 50fps/60fps. These also have higner encoder settings for better qp confirmed on stream analyser. Thanks mate.
    Driftwood 'Quantum' - beta test setj.zip
    811B
  • Only the 64gb will work. Ed Lee confirmed that his 32gb 95MB/s failed to span. Its safe to assume that the 16 and 8 will perform likewise.

Only the 64gb is labeled as 'SDXC', which is a standard that not only specifies increased size, but 2x speed. The cost per gb for the 64gb card is the lowest of the lineup.++
  • Just bought one from Amazon UK to be delivered Wednesday. Will let you know how I get on.

Where are the test charts by the way?
  • Good... I'm getting one as soon as I get paid. :)
  • I have done a number of jobs and it has been flawless. I have 2.
  • Any more news on this? Anyone who's tried without success?
  • I'm about to pick one of these up.... same price as amazon so I might as well get it at b&h since nyc pays tax either way.

• @Sage cool... (was wondering how you knew so much!)
  • If this is the case, and based on what I'm hearing here, this is a game changer.
    Thanks for the replies.
  • @alcomposer
    I don't have it yet, I've been collaborating w/ Jspatz to complete the patch.
  • @Sage, I am assuming that you have the 64 95MB/s.
  • This is the very best card you can get right now.

• @proaudio4, @Jspatz is currently the only one of us that has a 64gig card... lets hope when more reports come in this is verified and we can see how much it can be pushed... BTW @Jspatz has shot I believe most of the death charts, and has confirmed a data rate of 150mb/s at spanning point.
  • Am I fucking hearing this right, the 95mb/s Sandisk Extreme Pro SD 64GB card spans?

Has anyone shot Stray's Extreme Dense chart under high shutter and ISO condition, then see if it spans?

Hmm.... This is very good news. The GH2 hardware write speed may be faster than we thought.
  • That is some very interesting news indeed! Opens up new possibilities!
  • About 57 minutes
  • Very interesting development. I might wait for these cards to come down in price. The cheapest I found is around 200 EURO here in The Netherlands (64GB), while a 32GB 30mb/sec SanDisk HD Video card is 55 EURO. So that's a 90 EURO Premium. How much does 64GB hold? Around 100 minutes at 176M/GOP1? I think that will do for most Interviews I shot which would be awesome. SD cards tend to come down in price quickly, so I might wait a few months (they will most likely cost 150 EURO by then).

Thinking of it... if the Spanning is solved by faster cards, do these faster cards also support a higher AQ, i.e. AQ4 for Driftwood's settings or are they hammered by internal camera buffers?
  • I just got my Amazon card and it is fine. It even seems about 3-5% faster than the one I received from B&H last week, although my testing is not scientific. The first card clears the write buffer after a full burst of high quality still in about 21 seconds. The new card seems to do the same job in just under 20.
  • That's fine if the item is sold by Amazon. The problem is 3rd party Amazon sellers. They're no better than random eBay sellers.
  • Amazon's return policy is easy and liberal. Press a button, print a label. Give to mail carrier. If you don't like quality they pay the return shipping. I have never had a bad card from them.
  • @oneday to make it easy all of the 95Mb/s Sandisk cards. 8, 16, 32, 64 (64 being the only SDXC) The only card currently reported to span is 64gig, (I believe this is the only one that has been tested). Personally 64 is great for me and spanning! (As expensive as the 32 one I bought here in Australia! Darn!) :-D
  • we are talking here about Sandisk Extreme Pro 95Mb/s

SDHC UHS-1 or SDXC UHS-1
  • Driftwood, this card is king. Perhaps a terraquake-like patch could be made to allow 80% to record seaquake style quality to this card? I personally don't need spanning with 80% (just w/ 24p), but I do want to be able to record 80% in seaquake quality. ;)
  • So far, they do except for 80%, including seaquake.
  • Interesting... would be awesome if this cards spans @driftwood's GOP1 settings reliably